Fixing Belts on Pioneer SK-300

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galactor

Member (SA)
Mar 24, 2018
Hey there,
I have got a Pioneer SK-300 apart, and have replaced the basic drive belt and got it playing, but it was making all sorts of weird noises, so figured I'd go in and replace the rest of the belts as well.

Problem is, I have the whole cassette assembly out, and it appears the backplate on the thing does not come off? I'm not sure how to get to the actual belts without breaking something (if I haven't already honestly). Was wondering if anyone had a history with the SK300 or know generally how to pop off a backplate to get to all the bands.

Thanks!

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Galactor said:
Hey there,
I have got a Pioneer SK-300 apart, and have replaced the basic drive belt and got it playing, but it was making all sorts of weird noises, so figured I'd go in and replace the rest of the belts as well.

Problem is, I have the whole cassette assembly out, and it appears the backplate on the thing does not come off? I'm not sure how to get to the actual belts without breaking something (if I haven't already honestly). Was wondering if anyone had a history with the SK300 or know generally how to pop off a backplate to get to all the bands.

Thanks!
I gave up fixing SK-300. They are so hard to work on. My tape had issues and it works when it wants to. One annoying box to work on. Actually many Pioneer boxes are like that. I got some in my collection. SK700 and 750 were much easier to work on, but should learn how to take them apart. Some screws are all hidden in the front side.

Galactor

Member (SA)
Mar 24, 2018
Ack, I was afraid someone would say that. Good to know I'm not alone in bashing my head against the wall about this boombox, but would love to see if anyone has any sort of work around or preferred method of fixing it if possible. I'll link some pictures and a video of what it's doing just as a hail mary. If not then well.. maybe just put it back together and sell it as is to fund some other purchases :)

https://youtu.be/TXTuSZWA390

Video of the sound it makes right now. Left speaker isn't working (unrelated to the band issue I'm hoping, I think its just a wiring issue there, relative easy fix) but more importantly it's making it sound like it's bobbing up and down out of the water as it plays, I'm thinking just due to wear on the wire.

Tape deck takin' out of the box as of right now. The belt being loose like that is because I was trying to find a way to remove it, but you'll see in the next picture why that isn't possible. Or at least not possible without snapping the darn thing.

As you can see, the belt is hooked in to a metal rod that also connects to one of the front rotating arms (pardon the parlance, I'm not 100% sure what everything is called yet) of the deck itself. Because its hooked around that metal rod, and because that metal rod is also fused into the backplate, I can't get the darn thing apart to fix.

Anyone have any ideas? The only thing I could possibly think of is maybe cutting a bit of rubber and then wrapping it around where it needed to go and fusing the rubber back together. But not only would that be a pain, I'm not even sure I'd have enough space to work with in there if I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.