A Real Labour Of Love Restoration...........

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
Littlehampton West Sussex
This was a completely over the top restore & for one reason..............!!

This was my teen years stereo from 1982 to early 1984 & I loved it!!

Walked into Curry's (A UK High Street Retailer) & handed over £85 exactly which was the exact price (No £84.99 here) very unusual but very vivid memories of it pissing down with rain & dark, the welcoming brightly lit shop & the excitement of getting my first half decent stereo radio recorder still lingers with me all these years later..........& proudly running home to my dingy run down accommodation as I had left home by then due to issues we cannot divulge here!

Stopped along the way to buy the latest Kool & The Gang - Something Special album on tape too!!

Soon had her up & running & was very surprised how good it was back then!

A somewhat scarce generic model, I have seen a Watson RR-572 which is identical just cosmetic changes & another obscure brand I just can't remember now...............

My Triumph Srr-5000 went everywhere I went always loaded up with 8 'D' cell batteries & often blasting the current top 40! lol - I still have cassettes recorded on my original machine that survive perfectly & play well!

Now onto the present day:

Over the last 5 years I have bought 4 of these, all promising good condition/working etc, we all know the real score here of course

None were too clever & only through carelessness & misuse, I was going to give up when I found one just last week, not working but it had a good casing & nice straight speaker grilles - No problem I thought, gut them all out clean the casing in warm soapy water, re-spray the 4 speaker grilles & use my already serviced deck that I had saved should this day ever arrive!

Both of the 2 scrappers I had kept had very cloudy tuning glass panels, & I mean beyond saving cloudy, so it was lucky that the new arrival was good.........

These are built very well with a decent tape deck, Dolby NR & nice led meters along with manual recording control, a decent 4 band tuner & real woofers & separate tweeters - No wonder I was so happy as a stereo crazy teenager

Everything pluggable & therefore easily interchangeable, it was a case of making the best out of what I had & a day later we have a stunning example of what was to be a major part of my life at that very impressionable time of my life - I could never have asked for more than what I now have...........& it works & performs exactly as I remember it did in 1982!!

I always loved the so silvery look of this model & it was the only really decent radio recorder sold under the Triumph brand - I know as I own all the other not so good ones
& there were a few!! None of them that Mickey Mouse but none with a good stereo Dolby deck & all pressed steel no market quality deck in here!!

A few more machines to sort out yet, but for now I am really happy to have my teenage stereo back with me & all those memories..........

Et Viola!!

Watson RR-572.jpgBefore Restore (1).jpgBefore Restore (2).jpgBefore Restore (3).jpgBefore Restore (4).jpgBefore Restore (5).jpgBefore Restore (6).jpgBefore Restore (7.jpgRestoring (1).jpgRestoring (2).jpgRestoring (3).jpgRestoring (4).jpgRestoring (5).jpgRestoring (6).jpgRestoring (7).jpgRestoring (8).jpgRestoring (9).jpgRestoring (10).jpgRestoring (11).jpgRestore Complete - February 2018 (1).jpgRestore Complete - February 2018 (2).jpgRestore Complete - February 2018 (3).jpgRestore Complete - February 2018 (4).jpgRestore Complete - February 2018 (5).jpgRestore Complete - February 2018 (6).jpgRestore Complete - February 2018 (7).jpgRestore Complete - February 2018 (8).jpgRestore Complete - February 2018 (9).jpgRestore Complete - February 2018 (10).jpgRestore Complete - February 2018 (11).jpgRestore Complete - February 2018 (12).jpg

https://youtu.be/wGFyNXQYVzs

Superduper

Member (SA)
Looks like brand new again. Our first boombox, no matter how entry level level it may appear today compared to the big heavy hitters, always brings back fond memories. Also, our first boombox is usually the one that took the most effort financially since it's usually on the brink of what we could afford through hard earned newspaper routes or whatever.

Regarding your Triumph version compared to the one in the very first picture, while the general layout looks virtually identical, it's amazing how such subtle differences makes such a huge difference in how it's perceived. I don't know if it's the chrome vs painted knobs, or the tuner dial color, but the top one looks rather cheap whereas the Triumph version looks so. much classier.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Yeah lovely resto as usual Nick and as always that deck sounds well dialled in, your a wizard with the decks :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
I did the same level of restoration on the same model even tho it wasn’t my teenage box lol..,think this means I might be slightly bonkers lol

Nice work!

deech

Member (SA)
Jan 11, 2012
Athens Greece
Great job and an even greater story Nick.
You ve got the exact same one , even the back plate reads '' Made in Japan for Currys''
Its always amazing to get a radio that brings back sweet memories.

This bbox has several akas , didnt know you were after one.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Wow Nick, another fantastic clean up. She was ROUGH! :sick:

Came out great. Thanks for sharing your story.

As Norm mentioned, that first box always means so much. And like Norm, I prefer the term "Entry Level" to describe radio's that may have had less features. I don't think I would have appreciated my first radio if mom and dad would have just handed me an M90 when I was 14. Working for my first radio and not being able to buy from the top shelf gave me something to strive for.

Hell, I'm still striving as I still don't have a damn M90! :sad:

Rock that Triumph! :rock:

Brutus442

Member (SA)
Jan 7, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Extrordinary Nick! That story really hits home. A know the feeling of getting that box you had in your youth. Any restoration is indeed a labour of love!

Line Out

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2012
Finland
The layout and even the back panel looks a lot like the big, twin deck Toshiba that has a ton of AKA's, like Sankei and Palladium.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Yeah I think I've seen an AKA of this by Sankei

British and German department stores needed lots of radios, and they created their own brand names like Triumph and Universum and Saisho. This was an attempt to create loyalty to the retailer, by saying "You can only buy Saisho at Dixons!!!!!!"..... and also to avoid cannibalizing sales of the Sankei or Toshiba model that it was based on.