Just found a Sharp GF-9292X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2018
Copenhagen
Hi,
this is my first post and also my first boombox I just found in a small electronics shop in the streets of Istanbul for 10 euros. I don't know anything about boomboxes, but I do remember the older kids in school back in the early 90's pumping tunes from their Sharp's.

My plan is the restore the unit but I have no experience more then cleaning some tape heads and demagnetise some tape delays so all help and tips I can get from here is very appreciated.

The unit is very dusty but it turns on and I can tune in something on FM but the volume is very low. The AM, SW1, SW2 does not tune in anything what I can hear. The cassette unit doesn't spin but I can hear the motor working from inside. Also the counter reset button is stucked in pressed position.

-Does anyone have a service manual to share?
-What chemicals is recommended to clean the units inside and outside?
-Where do I best order new belts and pinch roller?

Again, all help and tips are very very appreciated!

IMG_0978 copy.JPG
IMG_0979 copy.JPG
IMG_0980 copy.JPG
IMG_0981 copy.JPG
IMG_0983 copy.JPG
IMG_0984 copy.JPG

//Mathias

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Wow that’s a super bargain! Well done!

One of the easiest to work on tho so totally fixable. Same basics as a 9191 which is really common. I did a thread on stripping one down a few years back which should be on here somewhere

Timecop1987

Member (SA)
Jul 24, 2017
magnificient!! Besides the GF-9696 the 9292 is the most beautiful boombox of the 9x9x-series imho! I hope to find one too someday - 10€ is a steal!!

I agree with Northerner. Working on these things is pretty easy.

A quick google-research brought up the service manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/809841/Sharp-Gf-9292x.html (It may not have the best quality, but gives a swift idea of where to start!) - Besides that: Always take pictures while working on a boombox - or mark the cables to re-connect them in the right way.

I ordered all my belts from ebay - there is a growing offer of vintage boombox parts spreading :yes:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Great start to a collection (when you decide in your mind to finally admit you are going to collect) !

Feb 20, 2018
Copenhagen
Thank ya all, I will definitely give it a go and then KEEP it!

Just ordered a service pack from Ebay (belts, pinch roller and the tube for the capstan) Next step is get out to find contact cleaners and the needed tools as I'm just in Istanbul for a few months and did not bring anything useful for this project.

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Euro 10 is a steal! Congrats.

When you go for contact cleaner, do not use the ordinary electrical contact cleaner. It will clean up initially, but soon will dry up the carbon pots and make the sliding points rough. The ideal product is Deoxit Fader F series, which is having lubrication as well for the carbon contacts.

Feb 20, 2018
Copenhagen
AE_Stereo said:
Euro 10 is a steal! Congrats.

When you go for contact cleaner, do not use the ordinary electrical contact cleaner. It will clean up initially, but soon will dry up the carbon pots and make the sliding points rough. The ideal product is Deoxit Fader F series, which is having lubrication as well for the carbon contacts.
Thanks, I have been around the whole city looking for Deoxit but it seems impossible to find and I don't have the opportunity to order it from abroad either :(
Every musical/electronics shops recommended (and uses) something called Perfect Contact Cleaner which got some lubrication in it. So, is this contact cleaner OK to use for now, then I can re do-it when I'm out of Turkey and can get my hands on the Deoxit?

Another thing that makes confused is this I found in another thread, "For most volume pots I use the DeoxIT D5S-6 or DN5S-6N (DN5S-2N). For slide switches/pots, conductive plastics & carbon traces, the best first choice is the DeoxIT Fader F5S-H6", is the lubricated contact cleaner OK for all of it or should I use one without as well?

Super thanks for all ya help!!

Feb 20, 2018
Copenhagen
New updates on the 9292 I found.

-Gave her a proper soup bath, cleaned pots, sliders and switches.
-Got to order new belts + pinch roller from nikonfoo on ebay, changed them + pulley but not the the counter belt cuz counter was totally smashed.
-Painted the speakers using acrylic paint,

The radio is working perfect, and the volume is equally on L and R speaker both on mono and stereo.
The cassett is running but playing slightly slow and the left speaker is much louder than the right both on mono and stereo. I gave the motor shaft some sewing machine oil but nothing changed. I also checked the pulley and it does spin without any problems.

What I need to do now is repairing some broken screw posts, only one is intact on the right speaker.
Get a new plastic part for the cassett door as it got a big crack.
Get a new counter.

If anyone got any of it for sale please hit me up!

Any suggestions how to fix the slow playback?

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Oh she looks fantastic already!

Parts should not be hard to find as these are not uncommon boxes. There is a screw hole on the rear of motor for adjusting speed usually but i dont beleive the 9292 has one. May need a good lube and a long play through..

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
machinegunjoeviterbo said:
...the left speaker is much louder than the right both on mono and stereo
Sometimes, a dirty headphone jack can affect the speaker output. Spray a small amount of the contact cleaner in the headphone jack, and use a 1/4" plug in and out several times. It won't always help, but sometimes the fix can be that easy.

Otherwise, I would say the volume faders need to be disassembled and cleaned.

That's a great looking boombox! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.