VZ2500 for parts - a good deal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancorp

Member (SA)
Apr 13, 2017
Marseille, France
Hi everyone,

A Sharp VZ2500 is for sale for parts because when you turn it on, it turns itself off.
I have to make an offer, but I would like to know if this problem is known on this type of device, and if it is easily repairable for a handyman.
Except belts, are there any other common problems with this device? In the end, is this boombox reliable and easy to repair?

Thanks in advance for your help.

BR

Dan

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I don't know what the problem could be unless the power board is cracked like mine was but I fixed it , this box is very easy to work on and mine aside from the turntable not working has been one of my most dependable boxes , these don't have line I but I use the mic inputs with no problem at all. This box is way easier to work on than the vz 2000. You could have the front off in about 10 minutes .

Dancorp

Member (SA)
Apr 13, 2017
Marseille, France
Thanks a lot for your help JVC Floyd !
Did you know if there is a Line Out on this box ? (using DIN connector)
(I need it for my LED mod!)

I offered 90€(incl.ship) , but I don't know how reasonable it makes sense to go up

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
The 2500 is relatively easy to work on indeed.
I've probably restored 6 or 7 so far.
Here are the bits that go beyond the usual turntable belt problem:
-FM tuner not working
-->there is a potentiometer on the radio board that sometimes has a bad connection. just work it back and forth a few times and set it back to its original position and it all works. You can also tweak with the other ones and optimize reception...done that on 3. Had 4 so far with this issue.

- cracked cartridge system
--> this one can be tricky. Had it on one 2500 and on one 2000 so far. One hinge of the mechanism that holds the cartridge and activates the sensor that makes the needle drive forward is broken causing the needle to either stay in place and skip or simply dragging it all over the record without stopping. Dentist tools usually help to keep the hinge in place while the super glue is drying. This can be very, very frustrating and could take several attempts.

- cartridge gets stuck
--> re-grease the gears. Easy job without having to take anything apart. Just needs some time to work in the new grease.

Then there's the usual potentiometer stuff...sometimes you have to de-solder sliders and re-attach broken brushes on the inside. Happens...nothing too hard but needs some practice with soldering.

Hope this helps. :)

Dancorp

Member (SA)
Apr 13, 2017
Marseille, France
Thanks a lot mmcodomino,
Of course this helps!

I don't have an answer yet on the proposal I made to the seller, but it's very interesting to know the type of machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.