D8443 mod planning with tactile buttons

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranter2887

Jan 2, 2018
NYC
I dont know why the picture changed its angle but yeah lol. I got a d8443 from the street for $25. It looks good on the outside but missing battery cover and screws. This was opened by someone else.

Cassette mechanism was tampered with but the board is ok, though I may replace it with a new amp board. I'd like to replace the cassette area with an mp3 player and an lcd screen in the cassette window.

The tuner will be kept...it just needs 7-8v.

I also want the cassette deck buttons to be functional so I'm using tactile buttons for the mp3 player. If I can't find the right mp3 player with accessible buttons to wire and a good size lcd screen, then I'll just reserve the cassette buttons for bluetooth and display audio visualizer/VU meter in the cassette window.

Attachments

Stix71

Member (SA)
Dec 27, 2017
Belgium
Cool project ! Give us pictures of your changes :-) Did you pickup the line entry signal directly on the PCB ?

Chuckmeter

Member (SA)
Dec 11, 2017
Montréal
Very nice. That's my kind of project !

Looking at your picture's background, it looks like you're into iDevices... Allow me to suggest the iPod touch as your mp3 player. It's about the size of a cassette, it's got a huge LCD, you can use a wired remote for your buttons, it's thin enough to fit over the cassette holder and it does a lot more than playing audio files !

Perhaps you already saw it, if not, look up my post about a similar mod I did on my Viking SRC-7495. I'm very happy with the results. I'd be glad to be helpful should you need any advice.

ranter2887

Jan 2, 2018
NYC
Stix71 I did :) . At first I thought something was wrong with it until I learned that I have to hit record in order to get audio from the line. But I did not like the "hiss" sound. So I'm rerouting the line entry directly to where the Tuner's original Entry. I drew the lines so you can see in the pic. Above where it says "Tuner", that is the entry/input.

The switch on the side of the magnavox is perfect to use and I'm glad it was made the way it was. That switch has 3 modes that were used for recording (Mic, Line In and External Mic).

- Mic will be for the tuner
- Line will stay the same
- External Mic will be Bluetooth/Mp3.

Oh and wiring the tactile buttons... I used and IDE cable that I saved from an old Desktop computer. The wires are very thin, bendable and are soldered to the buttons. im not great at soldering but im learning. haha

Chuckmeter said:
Very nice. That's my kind of project !

Looking at your picture's background, it looks like you're into iDevices... Allow me to suggest the iPod touch as your mp3 player. It's about the size of a cassette, it's got a huge LCD, you can use a wired remote for your buttons, it's thin enough to fit over the cassette holder and it does a lot more than playing audio files !

Perhaps you already saw it, if not, look up my post about a similar mod I did on my Viking SRC-7495. I'm very happy with the results. I'd be glad to be helpful should you need any advice.
Chuck thank you for reminding me! I forgot that there are wired remotes for the older idevices. Very useful. One problem with the ipod touch is that I can't keep it on horizontal position :( I will check out your mod in a few minutes :D

Attachments

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Very cool! Some great work there. I like the implementation of the controls. Nothing compares to the satisfaction of enjoying a box with your own mod, all that hard work to make it look and work like you want it, each use is a reminder.

ranter2887

Jan 2, 2018
NYC
goodman said:
Good idea on the LCD and Media Player! However, I will need something like android device with wifi to play mp3s and run the Shoutcast radio app.

ranter2887

Jan 2, 2018
NYC
caution said:
Very cool! Some great work there. I like the implementation of the controls. Nothing compares to the satisfaction of enjoying a box with your own mod, all that hard work to make it look and work like you want it, each use is a reminder.
Yes! I don't want to leave any buttons on this box unusable. But I'm pretty blown away by Chuckmeter's post about his Viking SRC-7495 mod. Have you checked it out?
https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/27500-eaton-viking-src-7495-meets-ipod/?hl=%2Bviking+%2Bsrc-7495

Status
Not open for further replies.