Crown SZ-5100SL

Status
Not open for further replies.

swlivesley

Member (SA)
Jan 12, 2018
Hi all!

First time posting here so do bear with me if I make any mistakes.

I've just been given a Crown SZ-5100SL. I'm loving the looks, and having is going to be more of a novelty and occasional use rather than every day object.

I'm looking to restore it to a decent condition. I won't be installing any extra ports onto it, or bluetooth etc. I want to keep it fairly stock.

What I have noticed since using is that the right speaker doesn't work. I opened it up to find it fine inside, but when I was moving it about, it would come on and off. Any common problems that may cause this?

I'm thinking of replacing both speakers with more dynamic speakers, as well as two tweeters (It has metal discs in place of tweeters at the moment). Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help/recommendations.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Must of missed this post first time around.

Well, the usual suspects should be tackled first such as cleaning all the pots and switches. Common causes for the speaker issue are bad switches so get some servisol or deoxit into the switches and work them back and forth a bit. There is also a thing called the record bar which may require cleaning also, im willing to bet this solves your speaker issue.

There is a great post on here somewhere where one of the dudes (Reli i think) lists out the points when cleaning a switch, its a good read. Basically have some kitchen roll etc to soak up excess, squirt some servisol/deoxit in the switches (particularly function switch, balance, vol etc)work them a little and see if it improves.

Report back and we'll look at next steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.