If you own a C100-F you need to read this (Clack of Death)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Today I was playing my Silver C100 like always. Decided to use the top deck and almost fell asleep as it switched sides then played the other. Once it finished the second side I ejected it and decided to use the lower deck. After all, I enjoy seeing the Tape Run lights :-)

I had "The Doors" cassette in the lower tape deck and the deal was I would switch the power button off so when it was done with the tape it would shut down if I fell asleep. When I pressed play I was greeted with what you NEVER want to see or hear your Conions lower deck do.

So I pressed play and heard (clack, clack, clack, clack) endlessly. I sprung to attention and came out of my dreary state of mind. I've literally played 100 cassettes on this thing so I figured maybe I had the tape in on the wrong side and it was trying to stop. It continued to sound horrible clacking away. When I pressed stop it wouldn't stop. Just kept clacking and you couldn't even turn it off because the deck was keeping the box powered up. So then I had to spin it around and take out the batteries.

So now I have my tape stuck in the deck that won't eject, the stereo won't turn off and its making this horrible noise...GREAT :annoyed: So now I'm annoyed and completely awake. So ya'll know me. In the kitchen on the table it goes and off comes the back.

Good news is I figured out what happened.. Bad news is it is the worst thing that can happen to the deck and marks the kiss of death for it. I have been known to McGyver things to work but this was not what I wanted to see and required a gutsy move that couldn't be reversed and if it didn't work it was bye-bye lower deck.

Okay so what was happening? The deck was stuck in an endless loop where the heads would come up and engage then drop and start all over almost like a sewing machine. Sounded like a dang jack hammer.

What was causing this? Lets start with this picture:
C100F.jpg
In the Green square is the white rocker that slides down onto and pivots on a black plastic spindle that's hollow in the middle with a screw running down the middle of it to secure the white rocker and keep it from sliding upwards. Anyway, the black plastic spindle had cracked expanding outwards increasing its diameter causing two situations

1: The screw backs out and wants to fall out
2: The rocker (which is spring loaded) wants to raise upwards and/or stick due to the larger spindle diameter and loose screw.

Well when this happens everything goes to hell in a hand basket because that rocker is supposed to align with notches (circled in yellow) on the cam gear to keep the deck in play and to allow the deck to come to a stop. When that rocker gets loose or sticks it causes it to skip over the cogs on the cam gear and the deck keeps cycling and never stops.

I figured I could just replace the stock screw with a long one that wouldn't back out. Well that don't work because the crack expands and increases the diameter of the shaft and then the rocker won't move and sticks.

So what are my options? Well I thought about making a metal collar to slide over the plastic spindle so when the screw went down the middle of the spindle it couldn't expand and then drill the hole slightly larger in the rocker so it would then ride on the metal collar. Nope. Can't to that because the plastic is so thin on the rocker that drilling it out any larger would do away with any meat on the bottom of the rocker pivot hole.

Well...enough was enough and after an hour of hard thought I did the only thing I could think to do. Drill the hole one step bigger and hope for the best. When I drilled it out larger the bottom spacer half (that was thin) separated and I was left with two shaft pieces the top part with the thicker plastic and the lower half spacer at its original size that the drill bit kicked off the end. Basically it was now in two pieces sliding down on the shaft. So I just slid the bottom half on first, installed the spring and then put the rocker piece on top and ran my slightly longer screw in and tightened it to where everything was secure but the rocker moved easily and didn't have side to side or up and down motion.

Here are the differences between the screws (Gold is Original / Black is an old laptop screw I used)
20180110_220954.jpg
20180110_221031.jpg

This will happen to all C100-F decks as the plastic ages. So, if your lower cassette deck goes into and endless cycle loop you will know that is the clack of death.

Picture showing the repair and the new screw. I have played 3 tapes already and who knows, maybe this will last years or hours. One thing is for sure though. Once it breaks again it's over. That spindle is the plastic frame of the deck and connects using tracers to various other parts of the mechanism.
20180110_220808.jpg

As before, this is going to happen to them all eventually. I hope someone can come up with a permanent solution in the future because this is going to kill the lower decks of our boxes eventually. I'll keep you posted on how well or poor this rigging works for the future

Attachments

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Playing the fark out of it today. Not worried and have no regrets. If it's going to stop working with age regardless of use, it might as well be enjoyed till the last drop!

So far so good. 15 tapes in. I spent all day today at work thinking of how I can resolve this issue if it happens again. For now rock solid (1 day in and 15 tapes down) 146 more tapes to go. It it hasn't broke by then I'll call it good.

Plus the top flat deck works really well too. :-) Not trying to see if I can break it but I got this thing to listen to it until I or it dies and that's what I'm going to do ;-)

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Another great save. I bet it holds up fine, that looks pretty darn solid. Even if it breaks again, we can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world's first aftermarket C-100F drive gear lever. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. :-P

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
caution said:
Another great save. I bet it holds up fine, that looks pretty darn solid. Even if it breaks again, we can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world's first aftermarket C-100F drive gear lever. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. :-P
I love the positive in this :-) Just finished watching 3D printing. It is heading towards a good day for vintage electronics. No longer will manufacturers be able to manipulate the market by refusal to supply parts needed. We'll just make our own :-)

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
Littlehampton West Sussex
Inspiration in bucket loads here.....I also love a challenge - sometimes they work out, other times they don't!! This is a great repair job & a definite for the archives!! Good Job buddy!

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Rimmer36 said:
‘ Clack of Death’ :lol:
Redbenjoe loves the crack of death lol

great save here, rock on guys :-)
Rockin vs Clackin......as of now :-) Sitting across the room and zoomed in as far as possible so I could leave it cranking and the phone wouldn't distort. With headphones you can tell this beast has thump in it's bump :-) This song below makes you glad you have the extra umph. Something about it just makes you want to crank the H-E-(Double hockey sticks) out of it......and this is only 1/4 VOLUME!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOmd83j8DBI

Nickeccles said:
Inspiration in bucket loads here.....I also love a challenge - sometimes they work out, other times they don't!! This is a great repair job & a definite for the archives!! Good Job buddy!
Thanks Nick :-)

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Dbzerk said:
I'm sure it's something you've thought of already. Is it possible to get a 3d scanned and printed part as a replacement?
If it was the white plastic rocker that cracked at the pivot point I would think this would be possible to replicate. On this deck the black spindle is what cracked and is part of the main deck housing. It wraps around the main housing of the deck and would be almost impossible to duplicate.

I should've taken a picture of the post before putting things back together but I was stressed..lol

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
I don't want to put a downer on this transistorized but im worried about using my conion now because of this...i don't have the skill to do this kind of work on mine, which is driving me nuts lol because i think there is a new king on the block and it's not the m90 lol, the conion is just so flashy and brutal haha

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Rimmer36 said:
I don't want to put a downer on this transistorized bu im worried about using my conion now because of this...i don't have the skill to do this kind of work on mine, which is driving me nuts lol because i think there is a new king on the block and it's not the m90 lol, the conion is just so flashy and brutal haha
Don't let this scare you out of enjoying it Rimmer. As far as I know my C100 is the first out of anyones on this forum to have this issue. I think its testing my skills :-) plus I've played over 146 cassettes stopping and starting constantly in the last week or so with 30 year old parts. It's getting more use now than it probably did Christmas day in 1982 (just making an assumption here).

Many things can affect the integrity of the deck. This one might have been baking in the sun, played hard and put away wet. Also there are two decks so you still have another option if a complete catastrophe happens to the other. And if all else fails you have line in (aux) long after the decks expire. Also with the members on this site there are enough parts flying around to build one from scratch.

It always makes me laugh when I see Rare...in the wording for sales involving the Conion. They're plentiful...just expensive.

I look at it this way. You are getting to experience something right now that not many people have had the ability to (back in the day or otherwise).....an iconic legend. When it does break no one can take away the memories or the fact that you had that experience :-) . Plus its going to deteriorate whether you use it or not just like a battery. You could leave it in the package to drain and go bad without getting any use out of it or you could pop it in the radio and use it to add enjoyment to your life.

So, if its going to fail eventually one day you might as well enjoy it. Have fun with it :-)

Imagine how someone would feel storing a box away for 25 years thinking they're preserving it only to find out it doesn't work anymore when they get it back out and they didn't even get to enjoy it. That would IMO be worse than it failing while enjoying it :-)

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Transistorized said:
I don't want to put a downer on this transistorized bu im worried about using my conion now because of this...i don't have the skill to do this kind of work on mine, which is driving me nuts lol because i think there is a new king on the block and it's not the m90 lol, the conion is just so flashy and brutal haha
Don't let this scare you out of enjoying it Rimmer. As far as I know my C100 is the first out of anyones on this forum to have this issue. I think its testing my skills :-) plus I've played over 146 cassettes stopping and starting constantly in the last week or so with 30 year old parts. It's getting more use now than it probably did Christmas day in 1982 (just making an assumption here).

Many things can affect the integrity of the deck. This one might have been baking in the sun, played hard and put away wet. Also there are two decks so you still have another option if a complete catastrophe happens to the other. And if all else fails you have line in (aux) long after the decks expire. Also with the members on this site there are enough parts flying around to build one from scratch.

It always makes me laugh when I see Rare...in the wording for sales involving the Conion. They're plentiful...just expensive.

I look at it this way. You are getting to experience something right now that not many people have had the ability to (back in the day or otherwise).....an iconic legend. When it does break no one can take away the memories or the fact that you had that experience :-) . Plus its going to deteriorate whether you use it or not just like a battery. You could leave it in the package to drain and go bad without getting any use out of it or you could pop it in the radio and use it to add enjoyment to your life.

So, if its going to fail eventually one day you might as well enjoy it. Have fun with it :-)

Imagine how someone would feel storing a box away for 25 years thinking they're preserving it only to find out it doesn't work anymore when they get it back out and they didn't even get to enjoy it. That would IMO be worse than it failing while enjoying it :-)
you're to kind Sir rock on :thumbsup:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
You know while was working on my trident CX 473 I noticed it has almost the exact same deck as the conion including that part you had to repair ,there are minor differences but its 90% the same. I was surprised to see that so there's hope for spare parts if I can't get this deck going lol.

I wonder if since the deck I have is nearly identical to the conion if the cassette for frame is the same.

Actually now that I compared them they are the same.
So now we know that the trident CX 473 has the same deck as the conion.

Status
Not open for further replies.