GE-5265A

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwinschel

Member (SA)
Jan 12, 2018
I just ordered two of these I found. Had one in my youth and it was the most amazing radio! I figured I ought to be able to make a good one out of two. First one arrived today. I am curious as it is acting as if it has low voltage on either AC or battery. Lights dim, power meter showing about 60%. Radio works but acts as if it got dead batteries in it. Guessing its the power supply on this. Took a meter to the power taps and getting about 19VDC going to the board. Anyone know what this should be?

Superduper

Member (SA)
Reli said:
19V? How is that possible? It only takes 8 batteries, right?
The actual voltage when connected to AC on virtually all Boomboxes will be higher than the spec’d Voltage because straight out of the PS is unregulated. With no load, voltage will always be high but will drop as soon as the unit is placed into service. Under heavy load, voltage could very well drop below the 12v rating.

mwinschel

Member (SA)
Jan 12, 2018
They can also use stepup transformers to do that. I have them for computers with Car chargers that are 18V. Just not sure what is normally supplied to these. I took it to a shop to have it evaluated. Just excited to have one back again!

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
When you said 19 VDC I thought you meant coming from batteries, but you meant after the transformer

Shortstuff

Member (SA)
Nov 30, 2017
Woodinville, Wa.
WOW, cool to see these are still appreciated, let alone around! I do have one here and bought for 50! Sounds pretty good for its age, only issue is left speaker (channel) does not have full sound when balance is equal. Resister?? or corroded connection?
This came for the original owners family in my state so nice to get a history on this one.
Keep chiming in, will post a pic of mine...

Status
Not open for further replies.