VZ-3500 Speed adjustment

Jp71624

Member (SA)
Jan 2, 2018
Hey all,

I have searched quite a bit and just can't seem to find what I need, but then again I'm not familiar with working on these devices so that may not be saying much.

Could anyone show me where on the board of otherwise the speed controls are for 33 and 45 records?
I have the unit fairly disassembled but still upright at the moment.

My unit typically works well otherwise, although occasionally the stylus arms don't want to move all the way in and make contact with the record when you press play.

Thanks in advance for the help!

GreasyT

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2017
Check out page 26 of the manual, down and right of the main chip on the microcomputer PCB. That's the vague location, how it's all connected is shown earlier in the service manual. If you're lucky something is apparent on visual inspection. It's for the 3000 but I'd have to imagine it would have a similar configuration in the 3500.

https://www.manualslib.com/download/912645/Sharp-Vz-3000h-E.html

I've got a 3500 with the same issue, just have yet to have the time to get around to fixing it. That or my 2000 with a cracked record PCB.

Jp71624

Member (SA)
Jan 2, 2018
Thanks for the replies! I'll try to post a picture or to for posterity here tonight if I can.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Jp71624 said:
I have searched quite a bit and just can't seem to find what I need
hifiengine.com has a lot of free service manuals, this one included.
Here's what it had to say

Jp71624

Member (SA)
Jan 2, 2018
Very late reply, but adjusting the VR501 resistor with one of my watch screwdrivers worked well for me and it is playing like it should again!
I will probably go back and replace some of the belts eventually and give everything a light lubrication, but happy to hear it playing well once again at the correct speed.

The next issue to address is that on *some* records the player makes (generally background/backup vocals) some tunes off-key; maybe a little bit of flutter going on? Some records I don't notice any distortion, but on others it is very obvious. Seems like this could be due to the belts + lube, or possibly something else on the board?

Thanks again for the help!