Spring cleaning on the 1200's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
So it's New Years day and I've decided to finally clean my 1200's.

Before pics:

DSCF1287.jpgDSCF1289.jpgDSCF1290.jpgDSCF1292.jpgDSCF1294.jpgDSCF1300.jpg

For cleaning & shining the platters I used: toothbrush, dishwashing liquid, toothpaste, Wenol metal polish, microfiber cloth, buffing pad and Carnauba wax.

For cleaning the faceplate: Terry cloth & dishwashing liquid.

DSCF1305.jpgDSCF1308.jpgDSCF1311.jpg

After pics:

DSCF1303.jpgDSCF1331.jpgDSCF1333.jpgDSCF1340.jpgDSCF1316.jpgDSCF1318.jpgDSCF1323.jpgDSCF1327.jpgDSCF1343.jpg

When cleaning the covers don't use papertowel they can leave scratches. Use a microfiber cloth but wipe gently in a straight line.

Some of the ideas I got from YouTube videos and now my Technics smells like Coconut because of the wax. LOL!

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
T-STER said:
W9w they cleaned up so nice, that last pic is gleaming
Thanks T-STER I always try to keep up with my equipment. I was lucky too when I bought them on ebay for a decent price. :cool:

hemiguy2006 said:
Looking awesome!!!!

Looking awesome!!!!
Frank you inspire me to put more into the care of my 12's. After seeing that thread of your 1200 I said to myself next time when I tackle them I'll do them properly. :yes:

I got to say the Japanese did their homework it is truly amazing how these turntables are holding up throughout all these years. Thanks that they are still being manufactured in Japan well who knows certain parts are being made in China. I have nothing against China but I believe when a product is thought of in it's originating country it should be built there. You'll get top build quality when it's done that way of course it will cost more but think of the quality.

Now I have to decide what cartridge to get for the spare headshells and re-calibrate the tone arm for the Ortofons that's on them. When cleaning I had to remove the weight so onto to the manual we go! :-)

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
There great!.
You just would not believe how well made and how heavy these are.
These are the only iconic turntables I can think of .

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
skippy1969 said:
They look awesome Ford!!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
Thanks for the kind words skippy!

These are my babies and they needed some pampering. :yes:

JVC Floyd said:
There great!.
You just would not believe how well made and how heavy these are.
These are the only iconic turntables I can think of .
Floyd I see those HiFi turntables for insane amoint of $$$$ and the 1200 is just as good.

They say that the new version is a bit more heavier. I think it has to do with the rotors. If I had the $$$ I probably would go for a pair like the 1200GAE which are now considered a collectors item due to a limited number of those built by Technics. I bet you Technics will eventually have another go at it by building a 1210GAE (black version).

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I think a lot of those high end turntables are build to look a certain way in order to look sophisticated or edgy but I'll take the look of the SL 1200's any day , in my opinion the best looking turntables period.
Those pricey high end turntables do the same damn thing , spin a record I mean how can that cost so much more than what the technics does.

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
JVC Floyd said:
I think a lot of those high end turntables are build to look a certain way in order to look sophisticated or edgy but I'll take the look of the SL 1200's any day , in my opinion the best looking turntables period.
Those pricey high end turntables do the same damn thing , spin a record I mean how can that cost so much more than what the technics does.
I totally agree Floyd!

Also the cartridge plays a big role.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I can understand that .
I did see a denon turntable that was pretty bad ass. It was the one Samuel l Jackson had in the movie black snake moan lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.