Sanyo M9998 Resto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
I picked this Sanyo up a while back and it’s been sitting in the pile of boxes for repair. I was put off to a degree by its reputation of being a complete bitch to rebelt. Well I’ve got a bit of time off around Christmas and I thought I’d give it a go. I read a few tips on here and dived in.

It’s in reasonable nick and looked complete. CEE468C3-F125-4CF8-9BD5-3FCE95013C58.jpeg6EBAA487-F97F-4A24-BBB4-E8C5F4B8DBB9.jpeg

Within half an hour the chassis was out :-)
BD7CAF46-B17F-4ABA-8BAF-E2287E38CEAD.jpeg

C6EB0CDF-F8F2-4DC2-96D2-F5A9B6668D25.jpeg

Got to the deck and found the main flat belt was really loose so replaced that. Bit fiddly getting the belts (there are three) back on in limited space but this was the hardest bit.

Got a broken stop/eject key so waiting for the glue to set before reassembly and testing but it wasn’t half as hard as I’d thought...so if you have one and have put off rebelting it then don’t! Dive in and get it done :-)

And if you want to know how to do it just follow the wise words of BoomboxLover48 that I’ve copied below and is all you need :-)

Disconnect power cord. Remove all the knobs from the front. Open the cassette door, leave it open.

Remove all the back cover screws. Two are hidden in the cassette compartment.
Gently pull out the rear cover because there are several connectors and wire pins to remove.

Looking from the top take pictures of these connectors and mark them.

Antenna connectors and two yellow wire connectors can be easily pulled out holding on the PC board.
On the top right corner you can see the speaker wire 4 pin connector, unplug it.

Once all the connectors from the rear cover top area is removed , lay the rear cover on it's back.

The power lead 4 pin connector goes to the right bottom corner, unplug it.
Now the rear cover can be separated from the front.
Now we are ready for the chassis removal.
On the right side under the speaker a small PC board needs to be removed before taking the chassis out.
Lift the top push buttons and rotate one clockwise and the other anti clockwise, they will stay up locked in a slot. This step is very important or else will break the switches.
Chassis mounting screws can be seen along the rim of the chassis. Once they are all removed chassis will come out easily. Take care not to hold any area of it where the tuning cord is running, also on the tuning wheel gang assembly.
By moving wires around it it can be positioned on a micro fiber cloth buttons and dial plate facing down.
Now start working on partially moving/separating the main board up to get access for belt replacement.

The PC board with cassette controls next to the motor is mounted on a steel plate. This plate is mounted on the metal frame with two small screws. It is a bit of struggle to find the right Philips screw driver tip to unscrew them.

There are white plastic pin tips on the head of the cassette function switches. These plastic tips will fall backwards. There tips need to be re positioned before putting it back.
Before one removes the mounting screws of the mail amp board this cassette control board has to be removed from the metal chassis.
There are several plastic ties securing wire bundles on the side of the main amp board. Untie them before lifting the board slightly up. Lift the main PC board gently and separate like 3 inches.
Use a foam wedge to keep it separated to gain access to the cassette flywheel cover area.
The lower sections of the deck are is now clearly visible.
Two screws hold the flywheel cover. The flywheel cover can be easily removed, but watch the belt guide on it. The new belt has to channel through that cut section on the side of the flywheel cover.
There are altogether 3 belts there to replace. The smallest square belt goes from the small axis pulley of the flywheel to a small plastic pulley. The main flat belt goes from the motor pulley to the flywheel. The other belt connects the middle part of the flywheel to another almost same size plastic pulley.
It is a little tricky to get these belts in position starting with the main flat belt. I used plastic tools to put those belts in place.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Very nice Si, i must say i found this one a right bitch to do. I didn't have a write up to follow though and i do have another one to do so I'm gonna give this a go :thumbsup:

Very impressed tho mate.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
trippy1313 said:
Whoa and you made a write up (with the help of bblover)?!? Nice work so far!!!
Nah all I did was find it and copy and paste it lol...it was in the middle of a longish thread so I thought it was worth copying to the top of a thread :-) It’s spot on so I’ve not changed it all

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
JVC Floyd said:
Why do I always ignore the nice ones and go straight to drooing over your pile under the work bench lol.
Some of us love ones that need rescuing lol...there are more in the loft room too lol

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
better than the sanyo 920 Si, they just don't look as good...great job lad, i recon you can fix anything now :-)

deech

Member (SA)
Jan 11, 2012
Athens Greece
Great job Simon , The M9996 is difficult to work too they are similar and my 9998 needs to be done
but i dont think i ve got this kind of skills to repair it.
Nice to see yours complete and working.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
dits said:
Great job Simon , The M9996 is difficult to work too they are similar and my 9998 needs to be done
but i dont think i ve got this kind of skills to repair it.
Nice to see yours complete and working.
Well it’s not quite there yet! The reglued stop key wasn’t strong enough so I’ve got a new one on the way. Will put it back together once I have this :-)

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Northerner said:
I picked this Sanyo up a while back and it’s been sitting in the pile of boxes for repair. I was put off to a degree by its reputation of being a complete bitch to rebelt. Well I’ve got a bit of time off around Christmas and I thought I’d give it a go. I read a few tips on here and dived in.

It’s in reasonable nick and looked complete.
CEE468C3-F125-4CF8-9BD5-3FCE95013C58.jpeg
6EBAA487-F97F-4A24-BBB4-E8C5F4B8DBB9.jpeg

Got to the deck and found the main flat belt was really loose so replaced that. Bit fiddly getting the belts (there are three) back on in limited space but this was the hardest bit.

Got a broken stop/eject key so waiting for the glue to set before reassembly and testing but it wasn’t half as hard as I’d thought...so if you have one and have put off rebelting it then don’t! Dive in and get it done :-)

And if you want to know how to do it just follow the wise words of BoomboxLover48 that I’ve copied below and is all you need :-)

Disconnect power cord. Remove all the knobs from the front. Open the cassette door, leave it open.

Gently pull out the rear cover because there are several connectors and wire pins to remove.

Antenna connectors and two yellow wire connectors can be easily pulled out holding on the PC board.
On the top right corner you can see the speaker wire 4 pin connector, unplug it.

Once all the connectors from the rear cover top area is removed , lay the rear cover on it's back.

On the right side under the speaker a small PC board needs to be removed before taking the chassis out.
Lift the top push buttons and rotate one clockwise and the other anti clockwise, they will stay up locked in a slot. This step is very important or else will break the switches.
Chassis mounting screws can be seen along the rim of the chassis. Once they are all removed chassis will come out easily. Take care not to hold any area of it where the tuning cord is running, also on the tuning wheel gang assembly.
By moving wires around it it can be positioned on a micro fiber cloth buttons and dial plate facing down.
Now start working on partially moving/separating the main board up to get access for belt replacement.

The PC board with cassette controls next to the motor is mounted on a steel plate. This plate is mounted on the metal frame with two small screws. It is a bit of struggle to find the right Philips screw driver tip to unscrew them.

There are white plastic pin tips on the head of the cassette function switches. These plastic tips will fall backwards. There tips need to be re positioned before putting it back.
Before one removes the mounting screws of the mail amp board this cassette control board has to be removed from the metal chassis.
There are several plastic ties securing wire bundles on the side of the main amp board. Untie them before lifting the board slightly up. Lift the main PC board gently and separate like 3 inches.
Use a foam wedge to keep it separated to gain access to the cassette flywheel cover area.
Two screws hold the flywheel cover. The flywheel cover can be easily removed, but watch the belt guide on it. The new belt has to channel through that cut section on the side of the flywheel cover.
There are altogether 3 belts there to replace. The smallest square belt goes from the small axis pulley of the flywheel to a small plastic pulley. The main flat belt goes from the motor pulley to the flywheel. The other belt connects the middle part of the flywheel to another almost same size plastic pulley.
It is a little tricky to get these belts in position starting with the main flat belt. I used plastic tools to put those belts in place.
I am glad my instructions helped. It was a real pain for me in the beginning, so I put it all together in the form of instructions. :yes: :-D ~ Royce

Unfortunately, glue will not work on fixing the buttons.

Our top ranking Pro James, send me the buttons from Australia. That is how I fixed my broken buttons.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
BoomboxLover48 said:
I am glad my instructions helped. It was a real pain for me in the beginning, so I put it all together in the form of instructions. :yes: :-D ~ Royce

Our top ranking Pro James, send me the buttons from Australia. That is how I fixed my broken buttons.
I did mine today and followed same instructions, very helpful.

Someone had already been at mine and rounded off the screws holding the tape control board on so these had to be drilled and replaced but thanks to your instructions i got her done :thumbsup:

And Si, i got your back on the buttons, im almost certain i have spares in the loft :thumbsup:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
T-STER said:

I did mine today and followed same instructions, very helpful.

Someone had already been at mine and rounded off the screws holding the tape control board on so these had to be drilled and replaced but thanks to your instructions i got her done :thumbsup:

And Si, i got your back on the buttons, im almost certain i have spares in the loft :thumbsup:
I knew fellow members will need help with this box repair and is so easy to break parts. I am so glad it is all working well for you. ~ Royce

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
BoomboxLover48 said:

Thanks for reposting the instructions for this. I’ve got a second one to do.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hisrudeness said:

Thanks for reposting the instructions for this. I’ve got a second one to do.

Here is the thread Rudy!
https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/26045-operation-sanyo-m9998/?hl=%2Bsanyo+%2Bm9998

~Royce

Status
Not open for further replies.