Servicing Potentiometer volume pots

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Here is an alternative to using contact cleaners on potentiometers. This way ensures you have removed the gunk and corrosion due to age.

I had an Aiwa mini box that would drop a channel at low to mid volume. At full volume both channels worked fine.

Once the box was dismantled I identified the volume pot. This is the easiest design to work on and very common.

Using A small flat screw driver I bent back the four retaining tabs.

The top section will separate with the contact plate attached.

The pcb with the carbon tracks remains attached to the main board.

Clean all surfaces gently and apply a non conductive grease. I use silicone.

Reassemble the top and bend back the retaining tabs. Ensure you compress the tabs with plyers so you get good pressure on the contacts and pcb.

You should now have a smooth and fully functioning volume pot.

IMG_5964.JPG

IMG_5972.JPG

IMG_5975.JPG

IMG_5976.JPG

IMG_5978.JPG

IMG_5979.JPG

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Had to do a few myself, fixing broken connections using conductive liquid. Sometimes, it’s the only way.

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
This is the best way to ensure your pre amp signal is strong and clean. This can be the reason why two identical boxes sound very different.

The sliding pots work the same way but you will have to sweat it off the main board first.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
How did I miss this thread? That is nice work, hopey. I bet the volume pot worked so much better after a proper cleaning.

Oh, geez. I hate to think of how many in my collection probably need this done.

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Fatdog said:
How did I miss this thread? That is nice work, hopey. I bet the volume pot worked so much better after a proper cleaning.

Oh, geez. I hate to think of how many in my collection probably need this done.
[SIZE=10.5pt]This is the go to fix for many issues on sound quality and volume. This ensures your pre amp signal is clear and crisp. This also is applicable to stereo component integrated amps.[/SIZE]