Your Very First Boombox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Not sure this thread will get any Love but I am very interested in all members posting a picture of their very first boombox.

The Rules:
The pictures listed here will represent owners and their Original First Boombox. This cannot be one you have purchased at a later time to relive your childhood experience. It must contain within the original plastic shell, the original circuitry that introduced you to the world of boomboxes. If it has needed repairs over the years that is okay.

Doesn't matter if it works or doesn't. Doesn't matter about the shape. Any picture posted below will represent the first real boombox YOU owned or hit the streets with back in the day. It must have always been in your possession throughout the years although it doesn't necessarily need to have been purchased brand new. A trade back in the early years of grade or high school would be acceptable.

Also any boxes that have been in your family and passed down to you can be submitted.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Sadly my very first box is not complete. I only have the center section but this thread isn't for looks. It is to determine who still has their original machine. Who has made it throughout the years better? You or your box or about the same? ;-)

Here is my first box. This is my Original GE 3-5267A. Everything works (including the cassette deck) but it is missing it's original detachable speakers. I have another one which is complete but that would be breaking my own rules to post it up.

So....here we go. Here's my beaten GE that's been with me every day of my life. For the good the bad and the ugly...

20171216_175556.jpg

Video Clip posted years ago when I dug it out and revived it to play again :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrejUROM2Kk

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
My Craig 2606 I got in 77' could very well be gone.I think it was thrown away as it was in parts or didn't work and I had a few things my sister in law threw away after she divorced my brother. I had a couple of boxes of stuff and a bicycle she threw away!😢 Sorry .

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
My first boombox was this Sanyo M9902-2.
I got it for Christmas 1982.
I still have it and its fully working and almost perfect condition.
Pictured then and today with my second boombox a Sanyo M9500K.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
skippy1969 said:
My first boombox was this Sanyo M9902-2.
I got it for Christmas 1982.
I still have it and its fully working and almost perfect condition.
Pictured then and today with my second boombox a Sanyo M9500K.

WOW! You take great care of your stuff :-) Electronics always seemed to suffer in my hands when I was growing up. Now I repair them...haha Go figure :-)

I love seeing this kind of stuff. It's really nice seeing photos of survivors. I enjoy seeing those who have kept their box through all of the years. Having a historic pic when you got it is icing on the cake! That thing still looks brand new :-)

c bank

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
Manchester UK
I guess this thread was inspired by my earlier post ...https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/27513-one-careful-owner/ :lol:

This Sharp Gf 5454e was my first boombox. i dont remember why i went for this particular one (was probably cheaper than others id seen :blush: ) but i to this day i think its one of the ugliest. I had the heads repaired (maybe replaced... my memory isnt what it was ) after a couple of years use and it was never quite the same after that .

It was well used mainly for recording the John Peel show on R1 and Mike Shafts/Greg Wilson shows and mixes from Piccadilly radio 82/83 ish !? i still have lots of the tapes hopefully they haven't oxidized beyond being playable.

Salvaged from the attic the other day i plan to clean it up. its unlikely that it'll get much use but i couldn't part with it now.

GF5454E, user 'manual' and a few cassettes from back in the day ...

Attachments

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I still have my very first boombox a sears sr 2100 absolutely the cheapest boombox there was , it had to be, we were poor . hell I had to take a chance of getting my ass beat by older brother because I used to listen to his tapes because I had none of my own.

I'll post a picture of it later be warned though it's not pretty

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
c bank said:
You are correct. It's not always about the top tier boxes. It's that special box that started it all for you. That's what is going to shake this thread up. I expect and hope we are going to see a variety of various boxes.

JVC Floyd said:
I still have my very first boombox a sears sr 2100 absolutely the cheapest boombox there was , it had to be, we were poor . hell I had to take a chance of getting my ass beat by older brother because I used to listen to his tapes because I had none of my own.

I'll post a picture of it later be warned though it's not pretty
Love to see it. Bring it on. There is no shame on this thread.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Heck that doesn't look bad at all. So far mine is the worst one posted in regards to shape and not being complete :-)

1986GLH

Member (SA)
May 2, 2016
WI
My first boombox was this little Sanyo M9800. I got it for my birthday when I turned 13 years old.............and I'm now 48 years old. It has a few small scuffs, but it's still in pretty decent shape.
M9800.JPG

c bank

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
Manchester UK
Transistorized said:
All of these are in better shape than I expected to see. Nice job :-)
Possibly goes hand in hand .. the very fact we still have them (and in fair condition) is because we are the type that tend to care for our possessions ? Or just plain hoarders lol !

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
c bank said:
All of these are in better shape than I expected to see. Nice job :-)
Possibly goes hand in hand .. the very fact we still have them (and in fair condition) is because we are the type that tend to care for our possessions ? Or just plain hoarders lol !
Makes sense.

I still have a bunch of stuff from my childhood completely operational. My box unfortunately didn't have an easy life. I blame it partially on it's design though. The carrying handle detached the speakers when lowered half way. If you folded the handle down and the 3-piece box wasn't on level ground it would cause the speakers to detach. If you didn't catch it before you picked it back up they fell off onto the concrete and cracked open like an egg :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.