• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members
  • 4,007 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:06 PM

So I’ve rebelted both decks 1 and 2. The slot deck (2) now works fine. Deck 1 is really getting on my nerves though!

Flat belt is easy. Square belt I put around the outside of the pulleys. Though the belt doesn’t touch one of them if you do it this way?

Still no life in the deck and all the buttons are not moving. The heads move up and down slightly when I power it on and off.

If I push the visible metal lever in the cut out on the left hand side in the deck then it plays! The spindle turns as does the capstan. The lights showing which way the deck is turning also comes on. As soon as I stop pushing the lever it stops.

I’ve spun the flywheel to try to get it to reset but nothing happening.

Any clues as to what’s wrong?!

Cheers

It looks like it’s touching the middle pulley but it’s notAttached File  2EA021C1-2FD9-47FB-B6DA-A5C5C16E191A.jpeg   71.89K   1 downloads

Attached File  21C69DF5-C47B-4984-B419-851F9ADFFD42.png   482.92K   1 downloadsAttached File  D2FE412E-0099-4A52-AC0E-EBF9BAAE176B.png   458.39K   2 downloads

#2 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,658 posts
  • LocationIn the middle of nowhere!!

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:15 PM

On the Auto deck when you press play,rew,or ff it is supposed to release the wheel causing the micro switch to power motor. If it is releasing wheel and micro switch closes then you need to check for voltage reading at motor. If it is not releasing then it may need some cleaning and fresh lube

Also if belt is not touching pulley it most likely is on incorrectly and needs to maybe be put on opposite side of pulley

#3 caution

caution
  • Members
  • 1,391 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:26 PM

The belt shouldn't have contact issues since it only goes around three pulleys - the flywheel, and these two white ones

17219764325_0bbf55229c_h.jpg

#4 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,658 posts
  • LocationIn the middle of nowhere!!

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:36 PM

The belt shouldn't have contact issues since it only goes around three pulleys - the flywheel, and these two white ones

17219764325_0bbf55229c_h.jpg

I agree and only flat belt goes on motor but looks like your square belt is going around motor for some reason

#5 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members
  • 4,007 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:03 PM

The square doesn’t go round the motor? Yeh I put it on there. Makes more sense if it doesn’t I guess! Awesome thanks guys!

#6 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members
  • 4,007 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:21 PM

Ok change the square belt and now it doesn’t go round the motor.

All keys still locked tho. Lever on the front left still makes it run.

This one on the back makes the motor run

Attached File  721D7A7C-72A0-4114-801B-786DCCA3E2D9.jpeg   96.01K   0 downloads

So despite having a running motor and good belts I can’t get the deck to reset. Spun the flywheel but nothing. Heads are Dow.

Aaaaaargh!

Any ideas? :-)

#7 Transistorized

Transistorized
  • Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:26 PM

The square doesn’t go round the motor? Yeh I put it on there. Makes more sense if it doesn’t I guess! Awesome thanks guys!

This is a very crude drawing using the picture posted above. This shows the flywheel and motor as a Grey Circle. Black is the belt configuration:

Attached File  C100.jpg   131K   0 downloads

The smaller SSBS8.9 (square belt) goes under the flywheel to the small pulley underneath it. You may need to lift the flywheel upwards to see the underside pulley slot. It's easy for the belt to fall off of this underside pulley when trying to rout it around all three pulleys. You will know you have it when you spin the flywheel by hand and the top two pulleys turn. The FBM9.6 goes around outside flywheel pulley and to motor spindle.

#8 caution

caution
  • Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:36 PM

My deck keys would all lock up if I went too tight with that lower screw on the back of the deck. There's something sensitive to pressure but I don't remember what it is. Try checking the deck is properly seating into the groove on the solenoid pin when you put the rear plate on.

#9 Transistorized

Transistorized
  • Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:49 PM

My keys were all locked. Let me post back here with something to look at as to why. This fixed mine. Be right back

Ok see this modified picture...then I will explain below

Attached File  locked up.jpg   131.57K   3 downloads

Ok the yellow slide bar is a 3 piece slider that must move freely. Often this slide bar gets stuck to the far left. This causes the tiny metal tabs (circled in red) to strike the square bottom notches on the metal sliding bracket. If this doesn't move to the left then snap back to the right and return using the 2 springs connected opposite from one another (machine or clock oil) needs to be applied with a syringe in between the sliding metal stacked yellow plates. Keep moving this back and forth until the bar moves freely and returns with spring tension without sticking.

When the yellow slide bar is in the position shown in the picture above, the front keys will then depress. Also the lever circled in green needs to set in the groove of the solenoid metal plunger so when the rear cover is screwed back down it doesn't press down and create pressure on the mechanism.

Good luck

#10 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members
  • 4,007 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:30 PM

Yep that’s how I have belted now :-)

This is a very crude drawing using the picture posted above. This shows the flywheel and motor as a Grey Circle. Black is the belt configuration:
C100.jpg

The smaller SSBS8.9 (square belt) goes under the flywheel to the small pulley underneath it. You may need to lift the flywheel upwards to see the underside pulley slot. It's easy for the belt to fall off of this underside pulley when trying to rout it around all three pulleys. You will know you have it when you spin the flywheel by hand and the top two pulleys turn. The FBM9.6 goes around outside flywheel pulley and to motor spindle.

My keys were all locked. Let me post back here with something to look at as to why. This fixed mine. Be right back

Ok see this modified picture...then I will explain below
locked up.jpg

Ok the yellow slide bar is a 3 piece slider that must move freely. Often this slide bar gets stuck to the far left. This causes the tiny metal tabs (circled in red) to strike the square bottom notches on the metal sliding bracket. If this doesn't move to the left then snap back to the right and return using the 2 springs connected opposite from one another (machine or clock oil) needs to be applied with a syringe in between the sliding metal stacked yellow plates. Keep moving this back and forth until the bar moves freely and returns with spring tension without sticking.

When the yellow slide bar is in the position shown in the picture above, the front keys will then depress. Also the lever circled in green needs to set in the groove of the solenoid metal plunger so when the rear cover is screwed back down it doesn't press down and create pressure on the mechanism.

Good luck

That’s awesome. I’ll dive back in again tomorrow. Thanks this is really helpful :-)

I love this forum. Without you guys I would have to admit defeat and I don’t like doing that!

#11 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members
  • 4,007 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:09 PM

Thanks to Caution and Transistorised!!!!!

My deck only frickin works!!!!!!!

It was the bar Transistorised talked about. Greased it and freed it up. Chassis back in and it works perfectly. I now have a 100% working C100!!!!

Thanks fellas, really appreciate your help :-)

#12 Rimmer36

Rimmer36
  • Members
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:52 AM

Nice going Si...id trade you an m90 now but i only have 2 of them lol

#13 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members
  • 4,007 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:57 PM

Lol :-)

#14 Rimmer36

Rimmer36
  • Members
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:58 AM

the conion is imense Si, don't bother with an m90 lol

#15 Transistorized

Transistorized
  • Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:02 PM

Glad to see you got it. From the sounds of it you are one happy man  :rock:

#16 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members
  • 4,007 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:37 PM

Glad to see you got it. From the sounds of it you are one happy man :rock:

Sure am and I couldn’t have done it without your help so thanks :-)

Good ain’t it. You got yours now then?

#17 Rimmer36

Rimmer36
  • Members
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:54 PM

Glad to see you got it. From the sounds of it you are one happy man :rock:

Sure am and I couldn’t have done it without your help so thanks :-)

Good ain’t it. You got yours now then?

Yup bro....it's flippin mental....had her in bits to try and fix the tuner but no go....so she is going to my engineer to fix the tuner vr, other than that she is nuts my man :yes:  :-)

#18 Rimmer36

Rimmer36
  • Members
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:44 PM

Glad to see you got it. From the sounds of it you are one happy man  :rock:

Thanks mate, yes this conion actually works compared to my first one lol....it has a couple of issues but nothing my engineer won't be able to sort...i honestly couldn't say which i like the most the conion or the m90, both the true kings of the boombox world, people need both in there collections for sure :clap:  :rock: And one must not forget migueliove he is a legend and on here, he had to sell his conion because of tax...i think that totally sucks, hope you read this miguel, god bless you are the man :yes:

#19 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:46 AM

First there was PAC man fever followed by conion fever , hell I'm still stuck on poo-nanny fever lol

These stupid farking tape decks , having rubber driving the decks is like have a Sherman tank with rubber bands driving the tracks.

#20 stedly

stedly
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:12 AM

how do i upload my boombox photos from linux notebook? do you use one?

#21 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members
  • 4,007 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:20 AM

Uiano wconion
xsd
my email is stedenus@gmail.com

i remembered myu email passwird is bucitis77

Woh! Why are you giving out emails and passwords on a public forum?! Not wise lol

#22 Rimmer36

Rimmer36
  • Members
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:52 PM

First there was PAC man fever followed by conion fever , hell I'm still stuck on poo-nanny fever lol

These stupid farking tape decks , having rubber driving the decks is like have a Sherman tank with rubber bands driving the tracks.

Im lucky Floyd lad, both of my decks have new belts which is great as there is no way id try re belting one of these buddy

#23 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:07 PM

I gave up one mine 5 minutes into the job lol.
I stripped those tiny ass screws that hold the top plate on the upper deck .

#24 Rimmer36

Rimmer36
  • Members
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:41 PM

im not surprised you gave up as it's like swiss cheese in there lol

#25 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

My original m90 sat in the closet under some junk until about 2004 when I finally decided to work on the deck which only needed belts and I did open it up once then quickly put the back on and said fark it till I finally summoned up the balls to work on it.

#26 Rimmer36

Rimmer36
  • Members
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:01 PM

if only all boxes were as easy to work on as the m90 Floyd, at least the belts are lad

#27 Transistorized

Transistorized
  • Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:03 PM

Attached File  20180110_221137.jpg   104.46K   2 downloads

You could resurrect Darth Vader with all the wiring in there. :-)

#28 caution

caution
  • Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:01 PM

I don't see what all the fuss is about, I drew a wiring diagram for you guys :hmmm:

#29 stragulus

stragulus
  • Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:07 AM

Little late, but if you're in there rebelting, put in an SBS9.2 instead of an SBS8.9; it's a little too tight and it will impact rewind performance. This deck is fairly sensitive to the belt tension because of the little plastic gear that moves when you switch between fwd/rwd.