Pack it well..... Or else!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Recently, I was invited into a local post office. I had the opportunity to watch as one of the clerks sorted parcels to the routes. They had large plastic rolling hampers spread around (each hamper goes to a route) and a huge pallet in the middle where Amazon parcels that got drop shipped there for the final leg of the delivery by USPS was being worked. The clerk took each parcel and held it out (like beam me up scotty) and a large overhead scanner was able to capture the bar code and announced the route number. The clerk then threw the parcel to the hamper for the route that was announced. Yes, I mean THREW. And some hampers were 20 feet away. A few of the parcels were the size of small boomboxes and they landed into the hampers with a huge thud. It was very interesting but one thing came to mind. If you send a boombox out, and you did not cushion it bulletproof. I mean literally bulletproof, your boombox might not fare very well upon delivery. What happens behind the scenes at any of the delivery services might surprise you. Yes, the videos of the delivery person throwing parcels over fences gets all the attention and the uproar, but this same thing happens all the times in the processing facilities. They fall off conveyors, gets tossed around. Have large parcels land on them... whatever.

Bottom line is this. If you want your boombox to arrive safely, you really need to pack them really really well. And not only from crush damage, but also from shock damage. Even though outwardly, you may not see any damage, I'm sure boomboxes were never designed to survive 5G's of shock. Don't fool yourselves. Going with fedex or UPS doesn't guarantee that your parcels won't be dropped either. They also rely on conveyor sorting that simply terminates at a hamper where parcels drops in. If a hamper is full, where do you think the parcel is going to land? This type of handling probably isn't going to change anytime soon. In fact, with the growing reliance on internet sales rather than brick/mortar shopping, parcel handling is only going to grow over the coming years.

Armed with this knowledge, although it will cost you more to pack your boomboxes to survive this type of handling, you should be well ahead of the pack on boombox arriving safely. That is, if you take it seriously.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
And whatever you do, never write "fragile" on your package.
I see a lot of people suggest that here and it makes me whince.

If you want to write something, tug at their heart with "Happy 4th birthday Billy, get well!" or something to that effect.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
caution said:

If you want to write something, tug at their heart with "Happy 4th birthday Billy, get well!" or something to that effect.
I always write fragile glass on all sides. But in all honesty I’ve given up on any kind of shipping lately.

c bank

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
Manchester UK
caution said:

:lol: ill remember that one

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
iv had boomers extremely well packed and they have still been smashed, you can't win these days

on the other hand iv had boxes just put in an empty cardboard box and they have survived....go figure

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Mummify in bubble wrap use very thick cartons,this does help! It's sad that there is package abuse and especially this time of year!😮

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
You entrust plastic inside cardboard and wonder why **** gets ****ed up my opinion is if your going to sell a goddamn box for silly money build a ****ing plywood crate to ship it in plain and simple , I did it before because I refused to see a rare box get bashed for nothing.

Nobody will ever beat the packing I did for lee's sx 1000 , a plywood crate sent to the UK and it arrived exactly as it was sent , my packing sucks most of the time but when it really counts and there's big money involved I get the ****ing tools out and go to work.

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
JVC Floyd said:
You entrust plastic inside cardboard and wonder why shiat gets farked up my opinion is if your going to sell a goddamn box for silly money build a farking plywood crate to ship it in plain and simple , I did it before because I refused to see a rare box get bashed for nothing.

Nobody will ever beat the packing I did for lee's sx 1000 , a plywood crate sent to the UK and it arrived exactly as it was sent , my packing sucks most of the time but when it really counts and there's big money involved I get the farking tools out and go to work.
Wow plywood crate,now that's really doing it safe Floyd!! I'll have to try that sometime!!😎📻

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
You can use 1/4 inch plywood with 1x2 furring strips to make up the frame , you can stick build the frame then cover the outside with the plywood. you only need light packing inside because if you do it right nothing with shift around in transit.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Ghettoboom767 said:
You entrust plastic inside cardboard and wonder why shiat gets farked up my opinion is if your going to sell a goddamn box for silly money build a farking plywood crate to ship it in plain and simple , I did it before because I refused to see a rare box get bashed for nothing.

Nobody will ever beat the packing I did for lee's sx 1000 , a plywood crate sent to the UK and it arrived exactly as it was sent , my packing sucks most of the time but when it really counts and there's big money involved I get the farking tools out and go to work.
Wow plywood crate,now that's really doing it safe Floyd!! I'll have to try that sometime!!
I did that once, the buyer still claimed the box was damaged, you can't win lol, he sent me an elta masta blasta, what a pile of junk, cheap decks and cheap cogs which were farked, so we left it at that

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Rimmer36 said:
I did that once, the buyer still claimed the box was damaged, you can't win lol, he sent me an elta masta blasta, what a pile of junk, cheap decks and cheap cogs which were farked, so we left it at that
Still got it? I'll take it. Lol.

But That's pretty scary. I know when I shipped that C100f to Chris in Italy, the lady had my carry it to the back and when she was making room for it she pretty much just shoved and tossed boxes out of the way. Not super rough but still enough if anything wasn't packed well and fragile... look out.

Brownlow

Member (SA)
Jul 15, 2010
Many have best intentions to pack safely and many have best intentions to smash. It is amazing the amount of people that do not like the jobs that they are in seek to take it out on the faceless customer, or even those that they meet.

Nobody really wins from this. Having been the lucky lad of Rimmer36's overwhelming generosity earlier this year, there was no way he was going to watch prize electronics getting destroyed - again.

Superduper, not for the first time, your wise words are heeded. Just a little bit more (ultimately expense) can save bitter heartache for sender and receiver.

stedly

Member (SA)
Nov 18, 2016
If the boombox on the other feed is for sale then plz msg me or email me

my email is stedenus@gmail.com
iuaw my email password is bucitis86

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Reading SD's post just makes me wonder how the electronic components even survive a trip. Even when you have the radio secured in bubble wrap in a thick box, if they chuck the box onto a hard surface the delicate components still get jarred. The J1 comes to mind. It has it's main board suspended in mid air horizontally across the the middle of the chassis.

It's a shame that this is how these companies have chosen to do business. Lower and lower standards have become the new normal.

I don't do as much shipping as I used too, but when I do, I go NUTZ on the bubble wrap, packing tape and box thickness.

Shortstuff

Member (SA)
Nov 30, 2017
Woodinville, Wa.
USPS is notorious for bad handling. I just received 2 boxes that the senders did a fantastic job of packing. They used foam like the kids in the yard use for "battling foam sticks" but was re-used to pack shipments.
NO movement at all! I am an E-bayer and have had to get really creative to fight "toss-the-box" like a football syndrome no matter what carrier one will use. Just pad the 'Bleap out of it and use a strong, thick, box one can get for free at a grocer store or Beverage house...

Status
Not open for further replies.