1981 - Dead Kennedys are Killing Record Industry Profits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
In 1981 the war between major record labels and cassette deck manufacturers was in full swing. Record labels were 100% against the sale of any equipment that could duplicate pre-recorded music from vinyl records, other cassette's or off the radio.

The logo below became the face of the war

Home_taping_is_killing_music.png

And it was this logo that the punk band Dead Kennedys used to fight back.

In 1981 the Dead Kennedys released "In God We Trust Inc."

IMG_20171208_100808.jpg
IMG_20171208_100908.jpg

The cassette version, along with it's classic hard core tracks on side one, had a very interesting feature on side two!

Side two is BLANK!

IMG_20171208_100930.jpg

A very interesting piece of history and a real sign of the times. The truth is, not much has changed. There is still a war going on between the record companies and their customers.

I saw the Dead Kennedy's live a couple of times in the early 1980s with the classic line up of members and got to meet with the band on the second occasion.

Jello Biafra is one heck of a smart individual in my opinion so it was a pleasure to get to talk with him about both music and the political issues which were happening at the time here in the U.K. and over in the States.

Oh and the live shows were brilliantly, brutally uncompromising,of course.. :yes:

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
Extremely interesting post for everybody, but especially for the historians of technology. Double-decks are indeed posterior to 1981, if memory assists me.

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
The Dead Kennedys are great,just loved their music. Yes what an interesting cassette. Never seen this,thanks Chris.😎📻

Radio-Active

Member (SA)
Dec 11, 2015
NorCal Redwood Coast
I still have mine! B-side is so taped over I could still hear a ton of fuzzy commercial clips. I think Exodus was my last tape-over! DK are still gods to us in the BayArea.

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
Littlehampton West Sussex
Around 1981/82 There was a company that released well known albums on chrome cassettes with side 2 blank!They were called simply: 1+1

Quality was really good too, I had Bob Marley's - Uprising on the A side & simply recorded the current hits of the day on the B side :yes:

Greedy record companies even artists don't worry me at all & never will - I have spent thousands over the years on records CD's & blank cassettes, I virtually never bought pre-recorded tapes......I always thought my own recordings sounded better & I still do :-D :-D :-D

De0702

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2018
JVC Floyd said:
I also think crappy music is killing the recording industry lol.
That is a true statement...
Heh autotune...get damm singing lessons!
Lipsync...wtf!!

Status
Not open for further replies.