Project 8585

Status
Not open for further replies.

c bank

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
Manchester UK
I plan to document here my Sharp GF 8585E restoration.
The finished item will be a work horse not a showpiece and carried out within a
strict budget. I've never done anything like this before so I see a steep learning curve ahead.
What I lack in knowledge I make up for with enthusisim .. hope that's enough .. for now. Knowledge can be gained along the way... I guess.

Mine is due to arrive sometime this week but it kinda looks like this ...(random GF8585 from web)

Attachments

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Yup I had one of these which i refurbished and sold and was sad to see it go, nice box that perfotmed well.

c bank

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
Manchester UK
Thanks fellas.

So, plan of action

1, assessment -external (take pics)
2, assessment - internal ( take lots of pics)
3, have ordered isopropyl alcohol for cleaning both case
And internal components.
4, stock up on cotton buds, lint free cloth, stiff bristle
Paint Brush for cleaning internals
5, dig out the DA car polisher and G3 for polishing the clear plastic tuner frequency panel
6, take pics
7, try to get tape mechanism to play.
... that should be enough for this weekend

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Use isopropyl for stuff like tape heads but be careful on paint as it can remove it if you’re not careful. Soap and water is all that a case needs generally

c bank

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
Manchester UK
Northerner said:
Use isopropyl for stuff like tape heads but be careful on paint as it can remove it if you’re not careful. Soap and water is all that a case needs generally
Thanks for the heads up. I'll use washing up liquid !

c bank

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
Manchester UK
Well i have it !
its in pretty good shape , and mostly accurately described by the seller.

A few questions for you experts ..

How do you find the year of manufacture ?

What colour should the speaker cones be on this model ? on some of the pictures i see online they look beige or yellow'ish (im wondering to match the radio frequency markings ) or should they be black ? and the yellow look is because they have faded?

Im a bit gutted to learn i cant properly connect an external audio input ... it doesnt have a line level audio input. it does have a tape din socket, mic inputs sockets and phono inputs. is there a way to get a line level sound source in ? I tried playing some music through my Mobile phones output into the phono which kinda works with the volume lowered on the mobile input source but the levels are up and down.

what do you guys use to cap off your arials where the end knob has broken off ?

ill be taking some pics in daylight tomorrow.

cheers

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
The speakers were probably white or off white when new, I repaint them off white.

For the input you need a phono attenuator, you used to be able to get them from MCM but they stopped selling them.

There’s usually a date stamp somewhere inside the case

c bank

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
Manchester UK
Ok after initial assessment, the radio works great with only the tiniest amount of crackle from the volume knob at the lowest end. The radio is surprisingly loud for the modest speaker output. Not as much bass as I would have liked but hey !
The cassette deck does not play. FF /REW seem to work but I've not tried them with a tape yet.
Externally, the case is in really good shape for a 35 (ish) year old box. Just a couple of marks and general grime to deal with.
There is some loss of chrome coating on the volume knob and chrome tweeter enclosure surrounds so I'm looking at a fix for this. Anyone tried chrome paint ?

A previous owner had used a felt marker pen to highlight their favourite station on the frequency dial cover and case.. I successfully removed this with diluted citrus pre wash .. washing up liquid wouldn't touch it.

I did find diluted washing up liquid a bit abrasive for cleaning in that I noticed a panel edge was starting to rub through when trying a test patch with a cloth dampened with diluted washing up liquid :blush:
Ive decided instead to use valet pro citrus pre wash diluted 1 part citrus to 10 parts water which is less abrasive.. and smells great :yes:

onward and upwards :dog:

c bank

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
Manchester UK
Some pics ...

as you can see pretty grimy!

Previous owner has marked his favorite station with a marker pen :w00t:

Attachments

c bank

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
Manchester UK
Time to crack on with the clean up ..

Attachments

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Damn that's a nice looking boombox . I never really paid any attention to these before .
usually mine look like **** even after I clean em lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.