Old enough to know better ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

c bank

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
Manchester UK
... So why am i perusing fleabay to buy a boom box at my age ?

Actually, itll be my second ! my first was bought new (ahem) years ago :blush: ... still have it .. but its not in great shape and i was never keen on it :lol:

looking through the forum y'all seem a friendly bunch so hopefully i can pick your brains occasionally.

Ian Manchester UK.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Hello mate, another UK guy here, glad to have you aboard.

Yeah im curious what is your first box? Im also curious to see if you buy another can it be possible to stop there :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you see any you have been keen on whilst browsing? Always worth asking here in case anyone has one for sale to.

c bank

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
Manchester UK
Northerner said:
What’s your original boom box then?
Its bloody ugly ... thats what it is :yes: a Sharp GF 5454 bought it on HP in around 82/83 when i got my first job ... Had to get my Dad to sign the HP agreement for me :blush: :lol:
I still have it.. ill dig it out and bang some pics up later. Somewher i still have the manual and the Sharp audio cassette that came with it ...
* hoarder :blush: the heads were repaired back in the 80s and one of the "arms" on the cassette compartment lid broke... but it still worked. It was put out to grass many years ago,

* Did i mention i still have cassettes recorded on it from the radio back in 82 83 84 :w00t:

c bank

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
Manchester UK
T-STER said:
Hello mate, another UK guy here, glad to have you aboard.

Yeah im curious what is your first box? Im also curious to see if you buy another can it be possible to stop there :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you see any you have been keen on whilst browsing? Always worth asking here in case anyone has one for sale to.
Thanks.

Id looked at a couple of Aiwa TPR 900 on fleabay but they always ended (well) over my budget of around £100 even ones requiring lots of work. i wasn't particularly fussed that a unit required work indeed, i was partly looking for a "project" ... though i may regret that with the unit i finally picked up :hmmm: which brings me to the Sharp GF 8585E ... cosmetically, it looks half decent but the cassette player doesn't err "play" rewinds and fast forwards ok though :yes: ill put a post up in the relevant section.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I think it's pretty cool that you still have your original BB, a friend of mine had one of these at about the same time and I liked the styling so much I now have one on my wish list. I bought an Hitachi TRK-8130 at about the same time and, just as you bought your Sharp, I found it quite expensive at the time.

By the way, you're never to old to collect BB's! :-D

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Welcome aboard. A great place to find answers to just about any question you may have. I too have my original stereo. Kept its soul within the confines of it's plastic cage many years after it wanted to die...I just won't let it :-)

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Yeh the 5454 is a bit crappy lol, I was worse, mine was a 4646

Much cooler is the tapes off the radio...I so wish I’d kept mine

Status
Not open for further replies.