Introduction: Conion 100F

harry.stone1111

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
Hello All,

I've been watching this forum for awhile and I just decided to join. I'm not really a collector, more like someone who looks at boomboxes on eBay and wishes I was rich and could just buy all of them. However, I do have a nice Conion C-100F. I found it on Craigslist and drove several hours away and bought it because I had one when I was a kid. I always wanted to get one again and now I have. Cosmetically, its pretty nice. The cassette players don't work, the stereo usually doesn't work with the radio (although other sources play fine in stereo) and it's missing the cassette storage drawer, but it still manages to look sharp and impress anyone that sees it. Much to my surprise, it doesn't just occupy space. I find myself listening to it regularly. The radio sounds nice (but not in stereo), I have plugged in a Bluetooth receiver into the RCA port to make it into a giant Bluetooth speaker, and I recently got a turntable and plugged it in. So I enjoy it. My wife made a plastic cover to keep the dust off of it and I pull it off once a week or so and play music through it. So I'm happy.

I do want to fix it up and I have had a more technically proficient friend break it open and try to fix the cassette player. He changed the belts but it still don't work. He changed the bulbs for LED's and put lights behind the meters, so that looks pretty cool. I've got a friend with a 3D printer and we're thinking of trying to figure out how to make a cassette drawer. I'll send pictures if we get it done.

That's it for now. Take care,
Harry

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Yup, as Si says, if you gonna have one box a C100 is as good as any. Its a top tier box and looks awesome.

Welcome to the forum.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Congratulations on getting your childhood box back and Welcome to the forum.

The C100 was expensive then....and....still is. For good reason though. Sounds good and it represents the 80's well (Loud, Big, Expensive & Flashy).

I can still remember every detail in my mind of the basement where my cousins room was. In the corner of the finished basement was a Conion C100 that we blasted the heck out of while jumping from couch to couch, playing pool and hopping on his spider man pogo stick. Of course we were just kids but that was the biggest fun room I had ever seen. Good times :-) The box and music just ties it all together.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I remember the first time seeing the conion in the last dragon, I never seen a goddamn boombox that big before and I was amazed by it , I was sad when the Chinese dude carried it back inside the fortune cookie factory because I wanted to see more of it lol.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Congrats and welcome!!! Great box. Someday I'd love to get one again. Had one only for a month getting it ready to ship to another member. Definitely one I'd love to get again some day.

harry.stone1111

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
​Here is the box the day I got it, which was New Years Day 2016. I found it at via Craigslist at an antique shop 7 hours from my home. My incredibly understanding wife was cool with us driving out there on New Years with my daughter and 2 dogs in tow. I called the shop and had them agree not to sell it until I got there. I found myself staring at this old stereo, which had two broken cassette players, a missing cassette storage door and one broken antenna. It wasn't cheap, but by far cheaper than anything you find on eBay. How can a reasonable person spend hundreds of dollars for something like that. I was really worried about buyers remorse but I went ahead with it. I will tell you have I have zero regrets. It sounds nice and we listen to it all the time. It looks super cool and attracts attention whenever I have it out. I do want other boom boxes, but I'll need to find a bargain to get something else.

Later I'll post pictures of how she looks now. Not a super make over, but it's cleaned up a little and the backlights work now.

Attachments

harry.stone1111

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
Also I could use more details on the drawer in order to get it printed. Not sure if this can even be done because I'm unsure of the quality of the 3D printer or the skill of my buddy. However, I think having specs on it, pictures and measurements would help.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Nice story and great to have an understanding family. I have the Helix version and it’s the one box I paid too much for as normally I like a bargain!

harry.stone1111

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
Hello folks. It's been a very long time since I posted on here. Not that my love of my boombox has declined, it's just life. I am surprised at how much I still use it. I purchased a beat-up lower cassette drawer and I am presently looking into 3D printing copies of it now that I have something to base it off of. So perhaps more will follow on that. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
I remember this post. Such a great story and passion for the model of box he grew up with.

I just noticed the darker circle in the tuner window. My Silver C-100 has the exact same shape of spot in the exact same place in the tuner window. I wonder what causes this?

harry.stone1111

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
Nice boxes you have there.

Those photos were literally right after I bought it. My buddy did a great job cleaning it up and the tuner window looks really clear now. There is a light bubble of some sort back there which sort of bugs me, but it looks way better.

By the way, my and my friend are really close to producing a brand-new, fully functional lower reproduction cassette drawer.

I'll get some new pictures up there soon.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Transistorized said:
I just noticed the darker circle in the tuner window. My Silver C-100 has the exact same shape of spot in the exact same place in the tuner window. I wonder what causes this?
I had this, I think a small amount of grease from the track for the needle got between the dial glass and the back plate.

harry.stone1111

Member (SA)
Dec 4, 2017
After years of thinking about it, I'm about ready to produce a lower cassette drawer for my box. If all goes right, it will be like a brand new drawer.

Not sure if this shows all the new awesomeness of the box, but attached is an updated photo of the box. New antennas, cleaned inside and out, LEDs replacing the burnt out glass bulb's and back lighting for the meters

Attachments

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
That would be awesome. I could use one for my Silver c100. I am very much interested in seeing the finished product. I'm sure you will have plenty of orders if you are able to duplicate it ;-)