Very Excited. It Lives!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
My belts for the lower cassette deck came in today!!!! Took apart my Conion and finished off the lower deck. I won't lie I may or may not have shouted a few curse words at the machine fiddling with the belts but I am so happy with this box. With every touch it just comes alive more and more. I guess it just needed some love. Don't mind giving it as long as the box seems to respond with positive results. So far this box absolutely enjoys the attention.

Along with a complete belt replacement on both decks I polished up the chrome. I have antennas coming. Afterwards the only thing left will be finding a lower storage tray. Doesn't have to be functional but more for cosmetics.

As always progress video below. What better tape to dig up than Lynyrd Skynyrd with some John Fogerty mixed in :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut4V88RG4KI&t=137s

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Wow thats a really great job, you can really notice the polish up as she really pops now. You must have done a good job on the deck as well as she has that "really dialled in" sound. Bloody gorgeous :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :rock: :rock:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
"With every touch it just comes alive more and more. I guess it just needed some love. Don't mind giving it as long as the box seems to respond with positive results. So far this box absolutely enjoys the attention."

This is so true. Some blasters are so tempermental that even moving them from one room to the next seems to have ill effects on the sound or functions. Many of my blasters just want to be clean and hate being opened or pampered. They will let you know!

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
T-STER said:
Wow thats a really great job, you can really notice the polish up as she really pops now. You must have done a good job on the deck as well as she has that "really dialled in" sound. Bloody gorgeous :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :rock: :rock:
Much appreciated T-STER. I am bit of a perfectionist with sound. Had to play around with the azimuth adjustment a little more than normal with this lower deck. It is very picky with the tapes position in the drive. I can definitely see why folks missing the door work so hard to obtain one. If the tape moves from left to right just the tiniest bit it throws off the treble and balance. I had to work with the door cradle a bit but all seem to be agreeing with one another :-) I am enjoying the reward for my efforts at the moment :stereo:

MyOhMy said:
Very nice indeed - and a brilliant topic title! :yes:
Much appreciated. It was an enjoyable experience reviving this one :-) Hoping it will be around for many years to come

blu_fuz said:
"With every touch it just comes alive more and more. I guess it just needed some love. Don't mind giving it as long as the box seems to respond with positive results. So far this box absolutely enjoys the attention."

This is so true. Some blasters are so tempermental that even moving them from one room to the next seems to have ill effects on the sound or functions. Many of my blasters just want to be clean and hate being opened or pampered. They will let you know!
I have had my fair share of those. I've had boxes that simply just hated me. I couldn't even touch them and something would go south. Then turned around and sold them cheap due to the problems only for them to NEVER give the new owner any issues and in some cases start working again on their own without intervention. Guess they are more human than we thought. You have to get along with your boomers :thumbsup:

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Adding to this thread because after adjusting the lower cassette motor speed, getting my new antennas and fixing the Power Supply to allow it to run on batteries it is now time to sit back, relax and enjoy the fruit of my labor and so......

The Bar is NOW OPEN..Time for a few Painkillers :-) All that is left for now is the lower cassette tray. I'll be 100% happy with it then.

20171223_135149.jpg

Dbzerk

Member (SA)
Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne Australia
Nice work mate! Looks absolutely gorgeous..
I find my self occasionally talking to my 100...'youre one bad mother f&#ker' lol
Can't wait to start working on mine.. Where did you source the belts from?

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Dbzerk said:
Where did you source the belts from?
I ended up getting them from a music store on eBay located in NY. The name of the place was Global Electronics Solutions. Belt sizes ordered were FBM9.6 / (2)SBS8.9 / SBM10.0 (which I had in an assorted pack of 40 belts I purchased). Wish I had tried a 9.2 in place of the 8.9 for the cassette mechanism. Rewind seems to struggle a bit on C-90s but it does get the job done.

Mystic Traveller said:
Great Job done! :thumbsup:
Much appreciated. It's nice to sit here listening to it without having to think about what makes it go :-) Hoping it will work for a long while before needing any further repairs

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Selling my clairtone 7980 was my big mistake I should a kept that box i been regretting it ever since , but I had bills to pay .

At least I had it for a while sometimes that's better than nothing .

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Great work, as usual. I had a C100 in the workshop for a repair job - intermittent amp channel - quick fix in the end. I was impressed at how well the C100 is constructed - powerful output too. Very impressive box I’d love to be able to afford. :-)

Out of my price range these days with the ever increasing grail prices combined with 3 hungry kids and the notorisely high cost of living in Australia. :-)

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Thanks Guys. You never know. A reasonably priced box is still possible. There are a bunch of folks that would assume 50 dollars would be an acceptable price for more closet space.

What kills good buys is the internet. Doesn't take long for people to Google something and instantly try to profit with the highest price they find online.

I wish I had found great deals. When you factor in the internet...this box was the best deal I have found on a C100 to date. After all the high dollar purchases this was a breath of fresh air to an extent and offsets the cost of the others a bit.

I'm just glad it welcomed my caring hands and was able to be fixed in house for the cost of belts and antenna parts. My labor to myself is free so that made things sweeter.

This makes it a special box for me in my collection because...we get along :-) and it provided me more knowledge about how it works. I feel more comfortable with machines that I have serviced and been involved with. It's like an acquaintance vs really knowing someone. I can visually see all the components in operation inside while listening to it and knowing how it works is a bonus for survival in the future :-)

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Great job, as per title im exited too...mine should be arriving tomorrow...then there will be a victor m90 verses c100 battle lol

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Rimmer36 said:
Great job, as per title im exited too...mine should be arriving tomorrow...then there will be a victor m90 verses c100 battle lol
I would be interested to hear your comments on the two. :yes:

My opinion. The M90 has crisper highs and a cleaner warm sound with good bass. The C100 is louder (with added distortion) and seems to have a deeper bass response with more thump or punch with drums and such but not as crisp on the highs when compared to the M90 and has a stereo wide feature if you like that sort of thing.

In a nutshell they both sound good.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Transistorized said:
I would be interested to hear your comments on the two. :yes:

My opinion. The M90 has crisper highs and a cleaner warm sound with good bass. The C100 is louder (with added distortion) and seems to have a deeper bass response with more thump or punch with drums and such but not as crisp on the highs when compared to the M90 and has a stereo wide feature if you like that sort of thing.

In a nutshell they both sound good.
Nice one tranzistorized....i had one years ago but it was totally farked up so i sold it lad...tell me does the conion weigh much more than the m90, that is my main concern as i honestly struggle to lift it these days...i have a small sony box that gets left alone as it's one of the heaviest boxes i have and sometimes i nearly keel over picking it up lol...it belonged to an ol member on here (litfan) who was very ill for years...god knows how he managed with it (sony f40)

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I love teamwork so i would rather just see the m90 and the conion kick the **** out of the other 1 piece boxes instead of conion vs m90 .
the poor m90 is so bad ass it has to take on these massive ghetto blasters out of principal lol.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
JVC Floyd said:
I love teamwork so i would rather just see the m90 and the conion kick the shiat out of the other 1 piece boxes instead of conion vs m90 .
the poor m90 is so bad ass it has to take on these massive ghetto blasters out of principal lol.
where would this forum be without you Floyd Lad, so true lol what box shall i pick for these boxes to totally humiliate haha

tell ya what though the m70 could give em a run for there money lol, small but brutal :yes:

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
the wx1 had a few of those, there not that loud imho i remember though it sounded great with the wall pink floyd....i have a studio so we will see but my studio is in bits at the moment (no surprise there lol)...one thing is for sure it's gunna get loud tomorrow lol

Status
Not open for further replies.