• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Ferguson3T18

Ferguson3T18
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMid Wales, UK

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:53 PM

Hi, I am looking for a good boombox for the kitchen, must have good FM reception and sound and line in for using with a tablet, not bothered about tape. Must sound good with low distortion, clear good highs and mids, and some bass not necessarily loads of bass. I like the look of the Hitachi TRK 8110E and have read that the late 70's/early 80's Hitachi's have good radio. Theres one on EBay at the moment, sounds like it just needs the switches and pots cleaning with Servisol and deoxit. Does this boombox tick all my boxes or should I look for something else?

#2 T-STER

T-STER
  • Members
  • 1,424 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:30 PM

Personally i would not get one, Hitachi definitely sit at the lower end and this model sits at the lower end of that lower end...

There are a few great Hitachis but unless this one is super cheap i would pass. 

#3 Ferguson3T18

Ferguson3T18
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMid Wales, UK

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

I read on this forum that the Roberts RSR 100 is better than the Hitachi TRK 8110E but they look like identical boombox's to me?

#4 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,621 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

I had one of those Hitachis, it's OK, a bit small and bass-shy but it still sounds good and clear.  In my opinion those early Hitachis from 1979-1981 had top-notch build quality.

Hitachis like the 8080 and 8180 are bigger and have more bass, but cost more

As for the Roberts, I never heard of it.  Looks like the same thing.

#5 Ferguson3T18

Ferguson3T18
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMid Wales, UK

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:38 PM

I am not looking for loads of bass, but I would like to hear the bass lines, I don't want a big box as it is for the kitchen, must be clear sounding with good FM radio reception for listening to Radio 2. I am still tempted by the Hitachi TRK 8110E or Roberts RSR 100 unless a few people suggest they are to be avoided?

#6 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,883 posts
  • LocationSleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:43 PM

Personally i would not get one, Hitachi definitely sit at the lower end and this model sits at the lower end of that lower end...

I tend to agree with this for the most part although I'mm a fan of the TRK-8130 as I bought one of these in 1981 so a bit of nostalgia plays a part for me.  I was very proud of this at the time as I had nothing to compare it against, nowadays it makes a pretty good kitchen BB or small carry around.  The TRK-8130 has separate Bass & Treble controls whereas many of the junior models are 'Tone boxes' and don't sound as good as the TRK-8130.

I read on this forum that the Roberts RSR 100 is better than the Hitachi TRK 8110E but they look like identical boombox's to me?

The Roberts is the 'aka' version.

I am not looking for loads of bass, but I would like to hear the bass lines, I don't want a big box as it is for the kitchen, must be clear sounding with good FM radio reception for listening to Radio 2. I am still tempted by the Hitachi TRK 8110E or Roberts RSR 100 unless a few people suggest they are to be avoided?

If the size suits your requirements that's fine, all wavebands are good on the TRK-8130 are good so I would think other models wouldn't be much different but if what you're looking for is determined by budget constraints, see if you can find a decent box with Bass & Treble controls for a similar price as the sound controls can only be a benefit. 

#7 Ferguson3T18

Ferguson3T18
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMid Wales, UK

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:53 PM

I tend to agree with this for the most part although I'mm a fan of the TRK-8130 as I bought one of these in 1981 so a bit of nostalgia plays a part for me.  I was very proud of this at the time as I had nothing to compare it against, nowadays it makes a pretty good kitchen BB or small carry around.  The TRK-8130 has separate Bass & Treble controls whereas many of the junior models are 'Tone boxes' and don't sound as good as the TRK-8130.

The Roberts is the 'aka' version.

If the size suits your requirements that's fine, all wavebands are good on the TRK-8130 are good so I would think other models wouldn't be much different but if what you're looking for is determined by budget constraints, see if you can find a decent box with Bass & Treble controls for a similar price as the sound controls can only be a benefit.

But the Hitachi TRK 8110E and Roberts AKA do have separate bass and treble controls?

#8 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,883 posts
  • LocationSleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:36 PM

But the Hitachi TRK 8110E and Roberts AKA do have separate bass and treble controls?

Yes, they do.  :bang:

#9 Ferguson3T18

Ferguson3T18
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMid Wales, UK

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:06 PM

I've decided to go for the Roberts RSR 100, it looks in better condition than the similar Hitachi and my partner says she likes the colour of the Roberts better than the silver Hitachi. Although not really a proper listening test, I heard the Roberts on a YouTube video and it sounded quite good through headphones on my tablet. I just hope it does not get damaged in the post. Anyway if for some reason I don't like it I'm sure I can sell it on for a similar price especially if I clean the pots and switches. I will let you know what I think of it when it arrives.
Cheers.

#10 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:25 PM

It certainly is a nice looking box. If the 5 DIN euro spec line in of your TRK-8110E is anything like the line in of my US spec TRK-8080 with RCA inputs, then you’ll have a nice MP3 playback device for sure. The Hitachi tuners seem to be quite robust as well.

Let us know what you think when it lands.

James..... :-)

#11 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members
  • 4,007 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:43 AM

It won't blow you away but it's a good little kitchen radio :-)

#12 snedboy

snedboy
  • Members
  • 79 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

Pics please. When it arrives

#13 Ferguson3T18

Ferguson3T18
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMid Wales, UK

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:11 PM

The Roberts rsr 100 arrived today and in one piece which was a pleasant surprise. I did ask the seller to send it in a sturdy box with plenty of padding which he did (he even double boxed it). On switching it on I found the right hand speaker very weak sounding but after a bit of fiddling around with the switch and the balance I was able to get the right channel working properly. I,m not at all surprised that this thing will need some Servisol and Deoxit. It sounds good but not amazing (I was not expecting great sound from this BB anyway). FM radio is very good. The only disappointment is that the line in does not seem to work which was an important feature as I wanted to play a tablet through it, when I take it apart to clean the pots and switches I will have a look to see if there are any obvious faults like a lose wire.
I will update when I have a chance to look inside.

#14 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,621 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:26 PM

Sometimes those inputs don't work unless you press Record/Play

#15 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:47 PM

The Roberts rsr 100 arrived today and in one piece which was a pleasant surprise. I did ask the seller to send it in a sturdy box with plenty of padding which he did (he even double boxed it). On switching it on I found the right hand speaker very weak sounding but after a bit of fiddling around with the switch and the balance I was able to get the right channel working properly. I,m not at all surprised that this thing will need some Servisol and Deoxit. It sounds good but not amazing (I was not expecting great sound from this BB anyway). FM radio is very good. The only disappointment is that the line in does not seem to work which was an important feature as I wanted to play a tablet through it, when I take it apart to clean the pots and switches I will have a look to see if there are any obvious faults like a lose wire.
I will update when I have a chance to look inside.

Often, the 5 DIN boxes’ line in doesn’t work independently of the decks’ record function. I was hoping that your box would have a true line in as it had ‘line in’ on the function dial.

#16 Ferguson3T18

Ferguson3T18
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMid Wales, UK

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:00 AM

I've just been looking at the service manuals for the Roberts RSR 100 and Hitachi TRK 8110E and to my untrained eye the circuits look slightly different to me. Also the amount of transistors in each boombox shown on the front page is different. So maybe the Roberts and Hitachi are not identical units after all?
Also when looking for a manual for the Roberts BB I discovered that Roberts have a service center, I might ask if they could still service/repair an RSR 100?

#17 Ferguson3T18

Ferguson3T18
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMid Wales, UK

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:49 AM

Just tried the line in with play and record pressed down, still nothing.

#18 Ferguson3T18

Ferguson3T18
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMid Wales, UK

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:25 PM

I've now cleaned the switches with Servisol and Deoxit and the radio is coming out loud and clear on both sets of speakers. I've decided to not clean the volume and tone controls for now as there seems to be no issue with them and it would also mean removing the all the circuit boards.
It's a shame the line in does not work otherwise this boombox would be a definite keeper.
I will hopefully posts some pics soon....

#19 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:46 PM

Does it have mic inputs? , if so you can get a line in from there I do it all the time .

#20 Ferguson3T18

Ferguson3T18
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMid Wales, UK

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:21 AM

Does it have mic inputs? , if so you can get a line in from there I do it all the time .

Yes it does have a single mic input on the front, I guess if I use this the sound will not be stereo? And how good will the sound quality be using the mic input and could this also do any damage to either the boombox or tablet?
I might check to see if there is a loose connection from the back of the din socket, this will involve removing the circuit board but hopefully I can manage this without damaging anything.

#21 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members
  • 4,007 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:04 AM

If this is like the Hitachi then the mic input should work if I remember rightly

#22 Ferguson3T18

Ferguson3T18
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMid Wales, UK

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:39 AM

If this is like the Hitachi then the mic input should work if I remember rightly

I just tried this and it kinda works but it sounds weird, I think the trouble is the Roberts has some automatic level control where the Hitachi has a pot for adjusting the volume for the mic input. So I guess even if the din socket on the back did work I,m going to have the same problem of the automatic level control messing up the sound?
In hindsight I think I should have gone for the Hitachi or another BB with a proper line in.
I might look out for an Hitachi TRK 8110E if it is similar sounding to the Roberts but without the auto level control.

#23 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:58 AM

The volume pot is probably one of the most important controls to clean - I’ve had boxes in the past with little or no crackle when adjusting the pot. After cleaning, a noticeable improvement in performance was gained.

#24 Ferguson3T18

Ferguson3T18
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMid Wales, UK

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:00 AM

The volume pot is probably one of the most important controls to clean - I’ve had boxes in the past with little or no crackle when adjusting the pot. After cleaning, a noticeable improvement in performance was gained.

I did not know this, I thought if the control worked without crackling all was well? I might have a go at cleaning the pots but it,s not going to fix the inbuilt automatic level control problem.

#25 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 12:55 PM

Yeah that sucks because most boxes have a mic input level control. My boxes get too strong a signal and you can dial it in perfectly as long as you can adjust the input level. The mic inputs usually have a much stronger line level which is great for making powerful recordings.

#26 Ferguson3T18

Ferguson3T18
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMid Wales, UK

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:27 PM

I've now cleaned the volume, bass and treble pots and there does seem to be a noticeable improvement in sound quality. Those pots were a real PITA to get at and I had to dismantle the whole thing to get at them properly. If I get the Hitachi TRK 8110E I do hope it will be easier to service than this Roberts. I even had to desolder a couple of wires to get the main board out of the way. It's a small miracle that I got it apart and back together without damaging anything.

#27 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,621 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:32 PM

The problem with Mic inputs is that usually you get a bunch of background hiss, and the signal is low-quality compared to Line In/Aux inputs.

The DIN input should work.  If it doesn't, then either it's fake, has broken leads, or they designed it to restrict the incoming signal so much that you will need to use a headphone amp or DAC to boost the signal.

#28 Ferguson3T18

Ferguson3T18
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMid Wales, UK

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:59 PM

The problem with Mic inputs is that usually you get a bunch of background hiss, and the signal is low-quality compared to Line In/Aux inputs.

The DIN input should work.  If it doesn't, then either it's fake, has broken leads, or they designed it to restrict the incoming signal so much that you will need to use a headphone amp or DAC to boost the signal.

I'm not sure what to do now, I had sort of decided on the Hitachi 8110e?

#29 Hisrudeness

Hisrudeness
  • Members
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSouth East London UK

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:08 PM

Does it have to be those two boxes or can you wait for something better? (With a proper line-in?)

#30 Ferguson3T18

Ferguson3T18
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMid Wales, UK

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:07 PM

Does it have to be those two boxes or can you wait for something better? (With a proper line-in?)

Well, if using a mic or rec/play as a line in gives poor sound quality then I would rather have a box with a proper line in.