• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Hisrudeness

Hisrudeness
  • Members
  • 1,462 posts
  • LocationSouth East London UK

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:11 PM

Looks like these have started to roll out now.
Anyone had one or seen a review yet?

Attached Files

#2 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:29 PM

I'd like to know if the tweeters are real.  Kinda doubt it.

#3 Radio-Active

Radio-Active
  • Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationNorCal Redwood Coast

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:16 PM

For US$270,I'd prefer a real 920.
Four hours on a charge isn't much. It must be pretty loud.

#4 Hisrudeness

Hisrudeness
  • Members
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:15 AM

Not much info on the quality of this unit, sound etc.

#5 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:29 AM

I hope they keep making these they're bound to get cheaper over time I'll wait till they drop it off where I have a chance at one , I like it because it has a CD player as well as cassette , hell the trc 920 wasn't cheap ,I remember it cost almost twice as much as the TRC 931 new.

#6 caution

caution
  • Members
  • 1,391 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:07 PM

Yeah Floyd it seems they're very close to what would be an outstanding classic.

Still holding out hope their design crew comes here for advice on refinements  :lol:

#7 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:04 AM

You know the bad thing is companies like these pay a lot of money for research and development and ideas and basically they could get all that for free here

#8 trippy1313

trippy1313
  • Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • LocationSeattle-Tacoma, WA

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:26 PM

Haha so true. So should they pay us, or let them in and use our information for free, to save them money to allow for better priced radios?

#9 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,162 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:04 AM

I can’t find any proper reviews on this GPO Brooklyn box. Have they sold any yet?

#10 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members
  • 4,007 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:20 AM

Not sure anyone has bought one lol

#11 c bank

c bank
  • Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationManchester UK

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:06 AM

'Looks' quite authentic doesn't it ? I like the positioning of the CD player as not to spoil the retro look. With modern amplifier and speaker technology it has the potential to sound good. It states 40w max but meh ...

#12 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:48 AM

I love how manufacturers boast about the power handling rating of the speakers. Like it has some relationship to the power output of the amp! :lol:

#13 c bank

c bank
  • Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationManchester UK

Posted 20 December 2017 - 03:26 AM

Quite a few YouTube vids for these. No audio examples unfortunately

#14 pabaker

pabaker
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:42 AM

I wish there was more information on them :(

#15 Ferguson3T18

Ferguson3T18
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMid Wales, UK

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:17 PM

I suspect this is Chinese junk but I could be wrong. It would be helpful if someone could actually review this thing.

#16 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:28 PM

The price seems a little to high to be junky ,I'm sure somebody would complain about it if it was a total rip off . if I had the money i would buy one just to check it out lol.

#17 Rimmer36

Rimmer36
  • Members
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:11 PM

Spoke to a member and apparently there not that good but who knows

#18 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:33 AM

If the Brooklyn box was really built well with high quality parts, big amp, heavy duty speakers etc, they’d need to ask a lot more than £199 with all of the features included. :-)

#19 T-STER

T-STER
  • Members
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:40 AM

Jimmy is right, at the £250 price point these would cost under 100 quid to make, this is not a lot for all the features.

I spoke to a guy who had purchased one on YouTube comments, he said it's very poorly built and the deck is very plasticy and stopped working after 6 weeks. Bluetooth is good and connects well but is not very powerful so doesn't get loud.

I have asked about a stockists near me so I can demo one.

#20 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:51 AM

Well it's the best-looking boombox on the market right now......aside from the tweeters that look like Mickey Mouse ears

#21 trippy1313

trippy1313
  • Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • LocationSeattle-Tacoma, WA

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:14 AM

Well it's the best-looking boombox on the market right now......aside from the tweeters that look like Mickey Mouse ears

What you got against Mickey Mouse??? Lol. Yeah I agree it's probably the best looker currently.

#22 Ferguson3T18

Ferguson3T18
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMid Wales, UK

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:01 AM

Jimmy is right, at the £250 price point these would cost under 100 quid to make, this is not a lot for all the features.
I spoke to a guy who had purchased one on YouTube comments, he said it's very poorly built and the deck is very plasticy and stopped working after 6 weeks. Bluetooth is good and connects well but is not very powerful so doesn't get loud.

I don't think anyone makes a decent cassette transport anymore especially on portables which is a pity. Curry's say this BB is 80 watts, really???? More like 8 watts I recon. If it is not very loud I wonder if the sound quality is any good? If the sound was good it might be worth having if a decent tape player is not needed, but I don't see a mono button for FM so I think I will pass because the FM signal is poor where I live and any radio I own must have a mono option.

#23 Rimmer36

Rimmer36
  • Members
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:55 AM

can cross that of my list then, have no intention of buying something that only lasts 6 weeks lol

#24 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:58 AM

Lots of modern radios have cassette decks, but when you actually play a tape in them, you see why they're so cheap. The frequency response is very narrow, the wow & flutter is bad.  Also their internal parts are made of plastic or thin pot metal.  A far cry from the thick zinc-plated parts of the early 80's.  

During the 90's and 00's I owned several "shelf component systems" from Panasonic and Technics and JVC, and none of those decks were very good either.  The Kaboom deck isn't all that great either.  It's nowhere near as good as the deck in an M90 or even just an M70.

#25 Rimmer36

Rimmer36
  • Members
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:20 AM

totally agree Reli, they have had lots of trouble even with the bumpboxx, i don't think anything new is worth buying imho....just had an m70 and it still works like new....makes me feel old lol

#26 c bank

c bank
  • Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationManchester UK

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:03 AM

delete

I don't think anyone makes a decent cassette transport anymore especially on portables which is a pity. Curry's say this BB is 80 watts, really???? More like 8 watts I recon. If it is not very loud I wonder if the sound quality is any good? If the sound was good it might be worth having if a decent tape player is not needed, but I don't see a mono button for FM so I think I will pass because the FM signal is poor where I live and any radio I own must have a mono option.

... it does have DAB. whats the DAB signal like near you ?

what i find ODD is the GPO brand and logo. In the UK,  this was used to be General Post Office later Royal Mail.... even the logo is the same   :yes:

Edited by c bank, 21 December 2017 - 07:04 AM.

#27 Ferguson3T18

Ferguson3T18
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMid Wales, UK

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:50 AM

delete

... it does have DAB. whats the DAB signal like near you ?

what i find ODD is the GPO brand and logo. In the UK,  this was used to be General Post Office later Royal Mail.... even the logo is the same   :yes:
I cannot get DAB or Freeview because of the hill and trees behind the house. Anyway I rarely see any love for DAB even if it works, low bitrates and many stations are mono anyway.

#28 Lasonic TRC-920

Lasonic TRC-920
  • Moderators
  • 13,257 posts
  • LocationNaples, Italy

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:40 AM

Attached File  Screenshot 2017-12-22 14.35.56.png   501.44K   5 downloadsAttached File  Screenshot 2017-12-22 14.36.44.png   73.56K   4 downloads

#29 Nickeccles

Nickeccles
  • Members
  • 342 posts
  • LocationLittlehampton West Sussex

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:13 PM

Mickey Mouse!!

Enough Said...... :-D  :-D  :-D 

#30 Hisrudeness

Hisrudeness
  • Members
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 02:08 PM

If it’s made like paper mache and is junk then that’s a shame. It was promising and I was hoping for something usable and fun.