Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
Good reading.. have a look
http://pocketcalculatorshow.com/boombox/[/quite]

So the answer to my question is No? There are no good modern boomboxes?
Like your Avatar BTW
That’s down to the individual and you’ll get a lot of different opinions on here. Since those posts are a bit same-ish so I thought I’d offer up a couple of decent websites assuming you’re new to this hobby you might find them interesting.

Thanks the avatar is eye catching. Hypnotises some folks even.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
There are some good ones and some bad ones

I've had a few modern ones. The only ones I have left are a few modern Lasonics and a TDK one which I do like.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Depends on the features you want but the Aiwa Exos 9, DJ Tech, TDK 2 or 3 speaker, and the i931bt Lasonics. If you want really loud boxes then look at the Bumpboxx and the Diamondboxx.

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
I've had a few Sony boomboxes throughout the years, which date back to as close as the early 2000's. A lot of modern boomboxes still hold up musically and audibly, but they're missing that "flair" that boomboxes once hold. Chrome accents, cool knobs, eye-catching meters, multiple radio bands, long antennas, etc. Boomboxes definitely shifted into a method of solely listening to music, rather than a statement piece or novelty item. Also, with the share of decent modern boomboxes, there are a PLETHORA of crappy boomboxes, which I'd say began in the late 80's because people didn't want to keep paying for quality.

To answer in short, a modern boombox is sorta pointless, seeing as there are many machines now that can do the job better and more efficiently. I just kept my Sonys for my nostalgia of 2003.

mudman

Member (SA)
Apr 12, 2010
I bought an ION Job Rocker a few years ago. While not a boombox in the classic sense since it's missing a cassette deck, to me it's still a portable music player that really cranks. As a bonus it has a very large built-in rechargeable battery for 12 hours of music, with Bluetooth and AM/FM radio. I bring it to the ice rink and everyone in the place can hear it, something that is difficult even with my larger boxes (and I'd need a cord).

It is mono so your not going to be doing any critical listening but it gets really loud so the stereo would probably get drowned out at the high end. The radio digital tuner is ok, I only get about half the stations I should be getting but I use this one more for loud sound from the Bluetooth.

These are very well built and very heavy, I think ION has been dabbling in stereo units but I haven't seen one up close but I have to believe it will have the same top-notch build.

Status
Not open for further replies.