• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 Chexout

Chexout
  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUSA, MN

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:33 AM

After reviewing the boxes Reli suggested (and browsing through eBay) I think I'm gonna go with the Panasonic RX-FM40 XBS

it is small and portable

fairly common so not very expensive

and seems to have pretty good sound quality

is there anything else I should know before I purchase?

I have one I could sell you.  But those models don't have any input jacks, so you wouldn't be able to connect your phone or iPod to it.

Bummer  :bang: is there anything similar to the RX-FM40 with input jacks? if not, whats your personal opinion on the box?

#32 markoneswift

markoneswift
  • Members
  • 281 posts
  • LocationAotearoa New Zealand

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:03 PM

Hey, can I get help NOT buying a boombox ? Please ? Someone stop me. :-)

#33 SLO

SLO
  • Members
  • 2,227 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, Southern California

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:58 AM

Hey, can I get help NOT buying a boombox ? Please ? Someone stop me. :-)

:lol: I second that emotion 

#34 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,621 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:25 PM

After reviewing the boxes Reli suggested (and browsing through eBay) I think I'm gonna go with the Panasonic RX-FM40 XBS

it is small and portable

I have one I could sell you.  But those models don't have any input jacks, so you wouldn't be able to connect your phone or iPod to it.

Bummer  :bang: is there anything similar to the RX-FM40 with input jacks? if not, whats your personal opinion on the box?

There's lots of "minis" with input jacks.  The RX-FM40 isn't that special, it simply has a tiny bit more bass than the typical "mini".  The only reason I mentioned it was because you can find one on Ebay every week and they sell for only $30-40, which is a good deal.

#35 Chexout

Chexout
  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUSA, MN

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:51 PM

it is small and portable

There's lots of "minis" with input jacks.  The RX-FM40 isn't that special, it simply has a tiny bit more bass than the typical "mini".  The only reason I mentioned it was because you can find one on Ebay every week and they sell for only $30-40, which is a good deal.

Yeah the availability is kinda what appealed to me 

what seems like a better option now is probably an Aiwa cs-200 so thats what I will probably end up going with

#36 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,658 posts
  • LocationIn the middle of nowhere!!

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:21 PM

I would have recommended a Magnavox D8443 because of nice size, coolness, pretty decent sound and plenty of them out there. But the negative is the line in sux. Also I have a line on one I could get and restore for ya.

#37 Chexout

Chexout
  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUSA, MN

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:52 AM

I would have recommended a Magnavox D8443 because of nice size, coolness, pretty decent sound and plenty of them out there. But the negative is the line in sux. Also I have a line on one I could get and restore for ya.

Its funny you should mention that specific box because I checked craigslist the other day and someone close to me is selling one for like $80

the downside is that the cassette player is broken and radio indicator is stuck. what would you have to say about that?

#38 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,621 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:09 PM

Those tape decks are problematic. Sometimes a plastic gear inside the tape deck breaks.  Plus like Bill said, the Line inputs are crap, their signal strength is all wrong, even if you use an attenuator.

I would not recommend it

#39 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,658 posts
  • LocationIn the middle of nowhere!!

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:23 AM

Its funny you should mention that specific box because I checked craigslist the other day and someone close to me is selling one for like $80
the downside is that the cassette player is broken and radio indicator is stuck. what would you have to say about that?

The one that I know is for sale is about $25. Ok shape but it needs deck gear. I usually get gear from mono box to restore it. But then like I said line in is not good.

#40 bbox

bbox
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:13 PM

If you look at ebay.com now I guess the best quality vs. price purchase would be JVC PC-55, between $300-$500. Yes, It doesn't look like JVC M90, however internally electronic IC components and 3 motor tape wise, it is equal or better then JVC M90. Just be sure you get it in good condition because fixing it could be a challenge.

#41 Chexout

Chexout
  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUSA, MN

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:30 PM

Well everyone, after pouring through eBay and Craigslist listings i was able to find someone selling a Panasonic RX-5050 for $85.

After purchasing, I discovered the only problem with the box is the tape counter is broken so if anyone knows where I can find a replacement part that would be great. Thank you all for you’re advice!

#42 Transistorized

Transistorized
  • Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:43 PM

Often times unless there is evidence of physical damage the counter is operated with a separate belt from the spindle shaft. Could just be a bad belt. Fingers crossed :-)

Here is my 5050
Attached File  20180109_223753.jpg   96.68K   1 downloads

Here you can see where the right spindle shaft powers the counter. The belt is slightly visible from the front cover

Attached File  20180109_223633.jpg   66.64K   2 downloads

If this belt is stretched hardened or broken this will make it non functional. It would be my first check.

#43 Shortstuff

Shortstuff
  • Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWoodinville, Wa.

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:26 AM

GE or Realistic boxes are a good choice for a good sounding cheaper option. Do you want a "single chassis box" or a newer detachable speaker one?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Purchase, help, ebay, buying, advice, tips, boombox