24 Hours with Samovar in Naples

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
This weekend was a Boombox whirlwind as our favorite Italian collector Salvatore AKA Samovar came to visit me in Naples and hang out in the Discotheque Boom Room. For those new to this community, Sal is an absolute legend both here and on Stereo2Go and I have been lucky enough to have met him twice now.

It was a packed weekend of Booming that started the moment Sal landed at 2;00 pm on Saturday. We came back to my place where he surprised me with an amazing gift, a near perfect Aiwa TPR-950, which was recently serviced which features a fully working deck (and you all know these decks are challenging!). Pound for pound one of the finest Aiwa's made!

As you can see, this Aiwa is in amazing condition. I can't thank Sal enough for his incredible generosity yet AGAIN. Absolutely one of the finest radio's in my collection.

IMG_20171029_135621.jpgIMG_20171029_135626.jpgIMG_20171029_135634.jpgIMG_20171029_135638.jpgIMG_20171029_135644.jpgIMG_20171029_135649.jpgIMG_20171029_135653.jpgIMG_20171029_135657.jpg

Around 5 pm Sal contacted a person here in Napoli, who was selling an Aiwa 550, we drove into the city to meet with him and made the transaction right on the street out of the trunk of his car!

IMG-20171028-WA0013.jpgIMG_20171028_173043.jpgIMG-20171028-WA0015.jpgIMG-20171028-WA0017.jpg

Two Italian's working the deal!

Screenshot 2017-10-29 14.27.12.png

In a few seconds, we were back in the car with the new find!

At home on the work bench, we put batteries in and did a test and....100% working, deck and all!

Screenshot 2017-10-29 14.23.44.png

The rest of Saturday night was spent in the Boom Room talking boxes and enjoying a few drinks.

IMG-20171029-WA0063.jpg

Sunday morning we woke up early to drive to downtown Naples to a used sale / swap meet / boot sale, what ever you call it, to try our luck and what luck did we have!!!!!

The place was PACKED!

IMG_20171029_081047.jpgIMG_20171029_081058.jpgIMG_20171029_081102.jpg

As we walked through, we started seeing them....

IMG_20171029_081210.jpg

Little mono's....

IMG-20171029-WA0003.jpgIMG-20171029-WA0007.jpgIMG-20171029-WA0037.jpgIMG-20171029-WA0049.jpgIMG-20171029-WA0047.jpg

Then we started getting into more interesting items!

IMG-20171029-WA0009.jpgIMG-20171029-WA0013.jpg

Sal and I were so tuned in, we were both yelling out "Do you see that?!?!?" any time there were a set of stereo speakers!

And even as we started to actually see "Boomboxes", we both agreed, we had to hold to some sort of level.

IMG-20171029-WA0019.jpgIMG-20171029-WA0021.jpg

BUT THEN THE MONEY HAD TO COME OUT! Sal and I both agreed we couldn't leave this Grundig behind!

PRICE TAG???? 5 Euro!!!! SOLD!!!!

IMG-20171029-WA0025.jpg

6 Euro's for 2 walkman....SOLD!

IMG-20171029-WA0043.jpg

Then we started actually seeing Boomboxes! But, we left these behind, holding out for bigger fish....

IMG-20171029-WA0045.jpgIMG-20171029-WA0053.jpgIMG-20171029-WA0055.jpg

And on the last isle, of the last row in the booth of the last seller....GOLD!!!!!
a Phillips ART 60 TV Boombox!

Price Tag???? 5 Euro's!!!!! SOLDDDDDDDDDDDD :thumbsup: :clap: :rock:

IMG-20171029-WA0027.jpgIMG-20171029-WA0033.jpg

In the end, it was a good day and a good haul. Total cost of 2 radio's and 3 walkman, 21 Euro!!!!

IMG-20171029-WA0058.jpg

The cost to hang out with Sal, go searching in the wild for boomboxes and actually finding some good ones.....PRICELESS!!!!!

IMG-20171029-WA0059.jpg

We tested the Grundig, it fired up, you could hear the deck motor spinning, needs belts, radio worked fine and then cut out. Probably something simple. Needs full cleaning.

Tested the Phillips, it fired up, but will need much more effort, but I think she can be revived. The amp was loud and proud on TV mode, nothing on FM, but there is no antenna, deck, nothing.

But I have never seen a Phillips TV box, so that in it's self is a score!

In closing, I want to thank Sal for his amazing generosity in his gift of the Aiwa 950. It is a real gem and it will get lots of use with it's perfectly working deck. It was really fun talking radio's, designs, favorites and going on the hunt! You will see us out and about more in the future so stay tuned!

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Brilliant to see two greta guys having a blast, you guys packed so much into a weekend.

Really looking forward to meeting Sal at the UK Meet :)

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
I really had a lot of fun with our mini-meet and I cannot thank Chris enough for his generous invitation and ospitality. Believe me guys, he's pure gold. And his boom room, well, that's f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c! I felt like a kid in a candy store -- you can see the amazement in my eyes :w00t:

Not only for the beauty of the units, not only for the breathtaking Indiana chopper that seems to be there to superintend the exhibition, but for the care they have been put on display and for the passion emanating from Chris when he speaks of them boxes. And when the disco is on, well: just amazing! A selection of his big hitters are connected with one another, so that the sound goes to and fro and you can feel it in 3D while the strobolight is spinning.

But no word can beat the real thing. Now since seeing is believing, if any of you get an opportunity to be there, don't miss it!

This said, the hunt at the fleamarket was no less exciting. I know well the second hand markets where I am a regular hoarder, but I had never visited the big one in Napoli. I didn't know what to expect, altough the deal with the Neapolitan guy for the 550 had been promising (I had stumbled across a local ad a couple of weeks ago and I waited to seal the deal together with Chris).

Both of us were positively surprised by the potential of the place. Besides the units we left behind, we saw a fantastically preserved gramophone and a wealth of 1950s and 60s radios that were a joy for the eyes. Now that he knows where to look for, I'm pretty sure that Chris will start giving points to the king of all fleamarkets, my good friend Dits :-)

Lat but not least, a big "Thank You!" also goes to Chris's wife, Helen, who witnessed our die-hard boombox lover conversations with zen-like patience. In her shoes, I would have barbecued both of us... :lol: :lol:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Thank you everyone, we had a great time. Sharing radios is such fun. The best part of collecting.

samovar said:
I really had a lot of fun with our mini-meet and I cannot thank Chris enough for his generous invitation and ospitality. Believe me guys, he's pure gold. And his boom room, well, that's f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c! I felt like a kid in a candy store -- you can see the amazement in my eyes :w00t:

Not only for the beauty of the units, not only for the breathtaking Indiana chopper that seems to be there to superintend the exhibition, but for the care they have been put on display and for the passion emanating from Christ when he speaks of them boxes. And when the disco is on, well: just amazing! A selection of his big hitters are connected with one another, so that the sound goes to and fro and you can feel it in 3D while the strobolight is spinning.

But no word can beat the real thing. Now since seeing is believing, if any of you get an opportunity to be there, don't miss it!

This said, the hunt at the fleamarket was no less exciting. I know well the second hand markets where I am a regular hoarder, but I had never visited the big one in Napoli. I didn't know what to expect, altough the deal with the Neapolitan guy for the 550 had been promising (I had stumbled across a local ad a couple of weeks ago and I waited to seal the deal together with Chris).

Both of us were positively surprised by the potential of the place. Besides the units we left behind, we saw a fantastically preserved gramophone and a wealth of 1950s and 60s that were a joy for the eyes. Now that he knows where to look for, I'm pretty sure that Chris will start giving points to the king of all fleamarkets, my good friend Dits :-)

Lat but not least, a big "Thank You!" also goes to Chris's wife, Helen, who witnessed our die-hard boombox lover conversations with zen-like patience. In her shoes, I would have barbecued both of us... :lol: :lol:
Sal, I had a blast. Your a good luck charm. I have never seen so many radio's any place I have looked and we went out together and saw so many. Now wonder your collection is so big LOL We'll have to do it again! I really had a great time. I'm looking forward to the UK meet in March when we can do it again with all the great UK members!

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Epic! I love the whole story, you both tell it so well to the point my heart was pumping in anticipation of the next revelation. :yes: I could spend all day walking around well stocked flea markets, there are only a very few small time events in my area.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
MyOhMy said:
Epic! I love the whole story, you both tell it so well to the point my heart was pumping in anticipation of the next revelation. :yes: I could spend all day walking around well stocked flea markets, there are only a very few small time events in my area.
Thanks M.O.M. I was so shocked to see all of those radios. I could have brought them all home, but had to have some self control. I didn't own any Grundig's so that was a no brainer and that TV box, well, you know me and my TV boxes :smooch:

The thing is, I have been to a flea market in this area before. It's next to a place called "Shoe Alley" which is an out door shoe market my wife goes too. They sell other stuff, but it;s 75% shoes. I normally park there and walk about a mile to this junk market that is under the freeway/Autostrada overpass. Sal and I parked and walked the mile, dodging traffic and through a tunnel and when we popped out the other side I was shocked to see IT WASN'T THERE! Now, if it was just me I would have gone home, but since I had my Italian translator with me, Sal just walked into a shop on the corner and asked the owner where the market was. They said something to the effect that it wasn't happening today, but that there was another one down the road on the right and sure enough, there was a full on proper market with permanent stalls. It was free to get in and full of all kinds of great stuff. Including radios!

YES, I WILL BE GOING BACK!

redbenjoe said:
sweet 24 hours-

WHEN will you all meet MyOhMy ?
There is a great question, we will be in the north end of England in March! :thumbsup:

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Lasonic TRC-920 said:

sweet 24 hours-

There is a great question, we will be in the north end of England in March! :thumbsup:
Dear me, I feel the pressure from y'all! You need to be gentle with me....... :yes:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Holy crap I would a bought every p.o.s there I love junk ,hell even some nice boxes too . ****ing awesome. One time I did buy 4 boxes in ten minutes and I wasn't a collector at the time but I never turn down cheap boomboxes especially if their right in front of me.

deech

Member (SA)
Jan 11, 2012
Athens Greece
Two Legends meeting up at Napoli ! :-)
A Boom-Room. A Flea Market.(Actually a flea market full of boomers).
Booze. There was even a LIVE boombox-deal from both of you .
I think this is a compination that says it all in itself !!
How i d love to meet both of you guys. You are near Athens
so you have an invitation from me to come and visit if you have some time
before the UK Meeting.
It s so great for members-friends to meet up.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
MyOhMy said:

sweet 24 hours-

Dear me, I feel the pressure from y'all! You need to be gentle with me....... :yes:

No pressure! Just pointing out that 3/4 of the Euro collectors will be in your back yard in a few months....But NO PRESSURE! :lol: :lol: :w00t:

JVC Floyd said:
Holy crap I would a bought every p.o.s there I love junk ,hell even some nice boxes too . farking awesome. One time I did buy 4 boxes in ten minutes and I wasn't a collector at the time but I never turn down cheap boomboxes especially if their right in front of me.
Yeah, looking at those pictures I have some deep regret :lol: :bang: :sad:

dits said:
Two Legends meeting up at Napoli ! :-)
A Boom-Room. A Flea Market.(Actually a flea market full of boomers).
Booze. There was even a LIVE boombox-deal from both of you .
I think this is a compination that says it all in itself !!
How i d love to meet both of you guys. You are near Athens
so you have an invitation from me to come and visit if you have some time
before the UK Meeting.
It s so great for members-friends to meet up.
dits, if I make my way to Greece, AND I MIGHT!!!! I will hit you up for sure! :yes:

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
I forgot to give full credits to Chris for his two great presents: the elegant (and working!) Aiwa TP28 and the wonderful Zealous Video Sender, the ideal companion, among other things, to my TV boomboxes. Here it is:

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.