Lasonic trc-918

Status
Not open for further replies.

stereomad

Member (SA)
Apr 9, 2012
crawley
Here's my latest addition to my lasonic family,didn't know much about this box when I hit the "buy it now" button but it's sure NOT been a disappointment......it sounds as good or maybe even better than the 920! Amazing sound for its size
Here's a few pics

Attachments

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
That's the nicest one I've seen. Hell the 918 is a beast and I think over all the best sounding best built and damn near the loudest lasonic. These scream and pound and sound ****in awesome.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Hisrudeness said:
I see some Sanyo M9994 dna in the design. On the tape keys.
Hmmm well spotted Rudey, those tape keys are three same and even the front layout is similar with led meters instead of needles but location and tape door location the same.

Lovely box SM well caught.

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
I remember (years ago) discussing with Dits whether or not we should consider the Lasonic 918 an aka of the Sanyo M9994.

I can't say anything concerning electronics, but the design is basically the same. In addition to the keys (& knobs & functions), you should look at the woofers and the shape of their grills --not forgetting the position of the tweeters--, the position & shape of the tape door, the position of the led meters (VU in the 9994) etc (size, for instance)

It seems to me that Lasonic did nothing to conceal its copycat policy concerning Sanyo: in addition to the above, the box even features the same radio scale of another Sanyo: the M9921K, a lovely unit (from which, incidentally, the design of the 9994 derives) where the blue 4-bands radio scale with two red lights (Rec/Batt & FM Stereo) is dramatically labeled "Variable Monitor System/Automatic Level Recording".

There are differences of course, but they're are just makeup (the position of the tape counter, the absence of a separate eject button, the non-mobile tweeters, plus a few differente finishes etc). Quite not enough to lift the box from the status of an aka in my opinion. But you know that my opinion is biased so let's forget about it and just enjoy Lee's new beautiful toy (You see? Sanyo awakens the poet in me & I said it in rhyme) :-)

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
There's a few similarities with the 9994, namely the woofer grills, the 4 screws on the glass, the tape keys, and the general placement of the controls on top, but everything else is different. A true AKA is one that started with the same rear chassis and electronics but just modified the front cosmetics.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
don't do nothing for me Lee lad but hey were all different....the lasonic with the white woofers there in you're pic is by far the best looker here but congrats once again my man :thumbsup:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
That is possibly the nicest 918 ever posted on this site. Fantastic find. IMHO the 918 is probably the most under rated Lasonic out there. These go for practically nothing and pound for pound THEY POUND. Lower bass than you would think from a 5 inch speaker and get pretty loud.

Sadly, my 918 is farked. It's a display only box. One day I hope to find a nice one like this.....congrats :thumbsup:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
These have 6.5 inch woofers.
And unlike almost every lasonic they have the accordion style edges instead of the rolled surround which makes the cones slightly larger .these motherfuckers thump .

todd5280

Member (SA)
Oct 5, 2017
gorgeous! i am looking at getting one of these or a 920 soon. What do the 918s and 920s go for usully in good condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.