Where to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay9

Member (SA)
Oct 3, 2017
On a recent trip to Japan i’ve bought my first boombox at a shop called Dubby Mad, a Lasonic trc 920. That has given me the bug badly. I’m looking to buy loads more obviously. Can you guys help me with a reputable source? I’ve got the bug to buy constantly… But eBay just isn’t going to do it. I’ve had a few bad experiences and I think I’ve learned my lesson. Thanks for any help you can give

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Hi Jay,

Well if Ebay isn't your thing then that kinda limits your options. I think you should still keep an eye out there for the odd bargain.

Other sources are dependent on where you are, pawn shops, second hand shops or markets, local classifieds, car boot sales, thrift stores etc are all worth checking. To be honest part of the enjoyment, at least for me, is finding boxes in the wild at relatively low cost. I encourage you to seek places you can look and visit regular and often.

Of course a deal with a fellow member is always a good option, almost all members will have boxes for sale at some point and for the most part are known and reputable. You may even get something serviced and working well.

What country are you in by the way? That will help. Also are there particular boxes you are seeking?

Jay9

Member (SA)
Oct 3, 2017
Good advice for sure. I seldom if ever see anything in the wild. The rare finds aren’t a luxury my life will allow at the mo, sadly. I know that Wow you’re talking about.I travel for work and take one with me everywhere I go so I need to buy them nice and reconditioned or at least very ready to be by a guy that I have.

I live in London, UK

I have a Lasonic TRC 920 and a Sharp GF 9191 These pics are my next ones im looking for.

Love these! The first three pics of Joe Strummers is the one I am desperate for right now. But in the meantime ill look for any of these others. The next Grail really if the first three pics of Joe's.
IMG_3150.JPG
IMG_3135.JPG
IMG_3136.JPG
IMG_3151.JPG
IMG_3148 2.JPG

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Ah a Clash fan! When they launched they're last boxset a couple of years ago someone representing them tried to ease my 9191 out of my hands. But even tho it was extremely cool I just couldn't say yes lol

Jay9

Member (SA)
Oct 3, 2017
Hahah Northener, thats amazing bout the GF! No one "eases" a GF 9191 out of anyones hands!! oh man the clash....been sick for it since i was a kid

Radio Active...What is this ewaste?! I am lost...sorry man ...so new I still got the wrapper on me!

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Jay9 said:
Hahah Northener, thats amazing bout the GF! No one "eases" a GF 9191 out of anyones hands!! oh man the clash....been sick for it since i was a kid
Yeh who doesn't love the Clash...totally legendary. I love the 9191 so much I now have 3, including the black one...a real beauty

Jay9

Member (SA)
Oct 3, 2017
Northerner said:
Yeh who doesn't love the Clash...totally legendary. I love the 9191 so much I now have 3, including the black one...a real beauty
Wow three ...you got pics? I love that one. The GF 9191 is absolutely perfect. Im looking at getting a second one now! Its on ebay...maybe have a look and tell me what you think? The seller is reputable...good guy.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Here you go :-)

Which one are you looking at on the bay?
IMG_5460.JPGIMG_5461.JPG

One of my two silver ones has been hijacked by my daughter and taken to uni! :-(

Jay9

Member (SA)
Oct 3, 2017
Northerner said:

One of my two silver ones has been hijacked by my daughter and taken to uni! :-(
WOW man ...thats so cool!!! Well I have a daughter...Thatd be about the only persoan...MAYBE! ha

heres a link...lemme know what ya think?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOOMBOX-SHARP-GF-9191H-REVISE-ENTIEREMENT-courroies-neuves-en-tres-bon-etat-/162671068135?epid=696997235&hash=item25dff383e7:g:YSoAAOSwZ~lZt7TD

might pull the trigger tonight...already got one but need another ...of course sigh

Jay9

Member (SA)
Oct 3, 2017
Jay9 said:

WOW man ...thats so cool!!! Well I have a daughter...Thatd be about the only persoan...MAYBE! ha

heres a link...lemme know what ya think?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOOMBOX-SHARP-GF-9191H-REVISE-ENTIEREMENT-courroies-neuves-en-tres-bon-etat-/162671068135?epid=696997235&hash=item25dff383e7:g:YSoAAOSwZ~lZt7TD

might pull the trigger tonight...already got one but need another ...of course sigh
What IS this one?!
I have to know ...its driving me crazy! I love that one
Joe.jpg
i posted this in the other thread as well but might as well here too huh ...

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
That's a nice 9191...bit pricy though. I usually buy cheap then clean and fix them myself. Think I paid £46 for the first one. You pay a massive premium for a serviced one...I know, I sell em lol :-)

That's a Tobishi I believe...yes that's really how it's spelt

IMG_5462.JPG

Jay9

Member (SA)
Oct 3, 2017
£46?!! You wouldn’t believe what I paid for my Lasonic and sharp...shameful! I’m not handy though. Just batteries and bulbs ...sigh

So you sell do youuuu?

Whoah that’s the one!!! Ok where do I get one of those ha
See I’m sick I’ve got the fever

Jay9

Member (SA)
Oct 3, 2017
Heh...Sell to feed the sickness ;) wish I was better at screws and motor stuff. Sigh
That Tobishi is the one. Great smaller box. See, That’s my problem ...I am too preference specific first, instead of just seeing what’s out there. I get obsessed wth a specific type or model and only that will do.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Jay9 said:
Heh...Sell to feed the sickness ;) wish I was better at screws and motor stuff. Sigh
That Tobishi is the one. Great smaller box. See, That’s my problem ...I am too preference specific first, instead of just seeing what’s out there. I get obsessed wth a specific type or model and only that will do.
lol that's a hard way to do it :-)

Atomtan

Member (SA)
Oct 22, 2010
U.K.
Hope some of you managed to catch the Clash Pop up shop in Soho back in 2013, the actual Futura 9191 was there (hence my avatar).

The shop was full of boxes and priceless Clash memorabilia. In true clash style, they allowed you to just browse and take pictures. When I asked if I had to buy something to sort of get permission to take the photos, the people there said no, as I must have bought plenty before.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Atomtan said:
Hope some of you managed to catch the Clash Pop up shop in Soho back in 2013, the actual Futura 9191 was there (hence my avatar).

The shop was full of boxes and priceless Clash memorabilia. In true clash style, they allowed you to just browse and take pictures. When I asked if I had to buy something to sort of get permission to take the photos, the people there said no, as I must have bought plenty before.
Yep that was exactly what they wanted my 9191 for as I'm uk based :-)

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Meh i might as well show of my GF's to, i love em, heres my GF 90, 91 and 92:

20171018_204328_resized.jpg

20171018_204333_resized.jpg

20171018_204340_resized.jpg

Jay9

Member (SA)
Oct 3, 2017
sweet jesus my heart!!!!
haha i love this forum...thread ...whatever...what a thrill

ok first things first...alas i am a migrant septic :sad:
(thanks for having me )
i missed all the clash exibitions although i was here i was more than likely away, as usual. But that experience would have been the holiest of holy grails for me! Seeing the tapes...the actual box...man im getting rushes just typing about it. And before this gets misconstrued because of text im being completely genuine. What an experience that must have been to see and be near that history.

I know this is a Boombox forum and i dont wanna bend rules and make it a clash forum but love the clash chatter! Thanks a lot...good to know and meet people of same minds!

and the GF pics...man theres nothing like the design of the GFs...its like base boombox...howd they do it. Love to know who was behind the actual phys design. What a mark!

Status
Not open for further replies.