Help ID Make Model Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay9

Member (SA)
Oct 3, 2017
Hello all...

I am sure this will be easy for you. I need the exact Make Model and Year of this boombox. I am stumped. I want to get the exact one but alas, I dunno what it is ...please help! As always Thank You!!

Attachments

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Hmm it looks like a Sanyo to me but im not familiar with this model. Who is the guy in the pic?

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
Hard to name one, since the pic shows only the b-side of the unit. Contrary to what T-Ster thinks, the box doesn't look like a Sanyo to me. The design of the knobs reminds me of some late 70s Philips models -- for instance, the Spatial Stereo 508, which shows a variant of the knobs on the two famous Elephants. But the Spatial Stereo 508 is certainly NOT the unit portrayed in the pic.

Joe Strummer had a passion for boomboxes and we know for sure that he had a Sharp GF 9191, an Aiwa TPR 990, an Aiwa CS 880, a Sanyo M9998, among others. For this fact only, I suggest that Boomboxery should offer him the honorary membership (even if, sadly, he's not anymore among us).

According to dits, who is the worldwide expert of the boomboxes owned by The Clash (he himself owns almost all of them), at some point Strummer had also a midsize Tobishi. I don't know the model number as he doesn't mention it, despite the fact that he recently found one in the wild. You can see the pics here (where dits is known as "deech"): http://stereo2go.org/forums/threads/market-tour-ala-deech.945/page-4#post-14361

None of the images is clear enough to give a definite answer, but it seems to me that the box in your pic is NOT that Tobishi either. So the jury is still out :-)

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
baddboybill said:
Don’t know why but looks almost like lasonic mono
Can't be a mono if the deck buttons are centered

There's enough unique features there to find a match: the shape and position of the deck keys and knobs, and the way the top has a raised surface starting about a half inch in from the sides. Even though you can't see the third knob behind the second deck key, you can sort of see it through the gap.

The box on their album cover it looks the same but with a painted deck door, maybe an AKA or custom?

Jay9

Member (SA)
Oct 3, 2017
Wow those Panasonic rq 4050s are lovely lookin machines
Something about top mounted controls gets me all excited
The gf obvs

Those tobishis are off the hook too

I have a lasonic trc 920 and am having a gf 9191 tweaked to perfection now hehe

I’d love a littler one ...any suggestions?

And btw...that clash hits back photo! Cool right?! Wow

I just found this pic...what do you guys think same ? What is it!?

Attachments

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
toshik said:
NP RQ-4050FD is similar but not the one... Wrong knobs spacing and the handle does not bend forward.
I wish I could find out more about that Brigitte. It says "Modell 10" under the logo. The bands are marked on the left side with UKW and MW so it's German. Maybe Strummer was defiantly blasting his band on that box because it was made in East Germany? After all the Stasi did ban him from East Germany, they studied his band's music and deemed it too inflammatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.