What Are Your Top Five Boombox Brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snedboy

Member (SA)
Aug 16, 2017
Scotland
Who made the best? In terms of components used and quality of construction. Not forgetting the sound quality of the finished box. Regardless of cost then and now. Who were the top five blaster makers?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
This is just about build quality:

1st place Panasonic. Their stuff just lasts and lasts, even if it's a cheap entry-level box.

Sanyo: Tied with Panasonic during the late 70's, but their quality dropped to 4th place after that.

2nd place: GE and Pioneer

3rd place: Marantz and Sony

4th place: JVC, Sharp and Aiwa. JVC and Sharp were good, but their sliders and toggle switches often malfunctioned. Aiwa was good but difficult to repair.

Hitachi and Toshiba were maybe 3rd place during the late 70's, with a few VERY well-built models, but they dropped to 5th place a few years later.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Marantz Superscope has some fantastic built units with very good sound. I’ve had 2 CRS4000’s that both decks worked fantastic even before I restored them. Neither one had bad belts and the heads were super clean. Same with inside of units. Hardly any dirt/dust so they were sealed great!!!

koleloi

Member (SA)
Apr 17, 2014
Hochiminh city, Viet Nam
I dont have hundreds of boomboxes nor have seen many boomboxes in person but to what I've seen and felt, this is my choice:

- For built quality: Panasonic made the RX-7700, so it is the best here, Sanyo with M9994 and Aiwa with TPR-990 are very close behind.

So: Panasonic > Sanyo, Aiwa > JVC > Sharp, Hitachi, Sony > Toshiba. Know nothing about Pioneer, Sansui, Kenwood, Maranzt, Crown ...

For design/look: Panasonic (with legendary RX-7xxx series) is clearly the best to me. Sanyo and Sharp make many very attractive boxes too. Also Toshiba & Hitachi had put a lot of their mind into the look (and forgot about the sound). JVC have some decent looking (m70, 838) but most of their boxes are boring. Aiwa tried to make classic boxes but seems to fail hard every time. While Sony, Pioneer tend to think that funny looking boxes will make them stand out.

So: Panasonic > Sanyo, Sharp > Toshiba, Hitachi > JVC, Aiwa, Sony, etc.

My top Five brand: Panasonic > Sanyo > Sharp > JVC > Aiwa

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Reli said:

1st place Panasonic. Their stuff just lasts and lasts, even if it's a cheap entry-level box.

Sanyo: Tied with Panasonic during the late 70's, but their quality dropped to 4th place after that.

4th place: JVC, Sharp and Aiwa. JVC and Sharp were good, but their sliders and toggle switches often malfunctioned. Aiwa was good but difficult to repair.

Hitachi and Toshiba were maybe 3rd place during the late 70's, with a few VERY well-built models, but they dropped to 5th place a few years later.
I agree with all except the Pioneer! They had the worst decks on them. I have many of them that are so hard to fix. I will kick Pioneer to the last.

baddboybill said:
Marantz Superscope has some fantastic built units with very good sound. I’ve had 2 CRS4000’s that both decks worked fantastic even before I restored them. Neither one had bad belts and the heads were super clean. Same with inside of units. Hardly any dirt/dust so they were sealed great!!!
Bill is correct! They are great boxes to have! Now you cannot find one CRS 4000 now. They are so rare!

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
BoomboxLover48 said:

I agree with all except the Pioneer! They had the worst decks on them. I have many of them that are so hard to fix. I will kick Pioneer to the last.
Hard to repair maybe, but very good build quality IMO

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Sanyo - sound quality
Panasonic - engineering and proven deck and tuner durability
Hitachi - value for money + uniqueness ie 3D series
Sharp - cool factor and classic one piece styling + solid design and durability
JVC - quality decks, select high powered BTL models and build quality

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Katsa said:
How does that Marantz Superscope crs400 sound.
Excellent...... if it is in good shape!

Reli said:

Hard to repair maybe, but very good build quality IMO

Speakers are below average! Then how can you talk about build quality! Sounds average too! :w00t:

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Which models are you talking about? SK-900 is built like a tank and sounds great too. Same with the CK series.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Panasonic - Highest performance and build quality. Best engineering and still sounds like new after 30+ years.
Sanyo- Superior design for looks and outstanding sound quality, so hard to work on and get parts.
Sharp - The best of both Worlds! Love the build quality. So beautiful, but average performance.
Akai- Amazing sound quality and beautiful design. Unfortunately they didn't make many models.
JVC - A beauty when it all works well. Poor cosmetics and design.
Marantz- Great boxes but only made a few good ones.

Reli said:
Which models are you talking about? SK-900 is built like a tank and sounds great too. Same with the CK series.
SK 900 had no tweeters. That was the biggest flaw in the design and on sound stage. Dual cone won't do the job.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I agree if pioneer had just put some damn coaxial speakers in the SK 9000 it would have been so simple but would make a world of difference in the sound.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
JVC Floyd said:
I agree if pioneer had just put some damn coaxial speakers in the SK 9000 it would have been so simple but would make a world of difference in the sound.
Still sounds very good IMO.

Also everyone here seems to worship the JVC PC-5 even though it has no tweeters.

Status
Not open for further replies.