• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MechaMatt

MechaMatt
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:16 AM

Hi everybody!

I'm Matt and I think I may be an addict..

It started with a silver Sanyo M7735L which just happened across my ebay browsing, and it brought back memories of just how frickin' cool 80's boomboxes were! I had to have it! 

I might upset the purists here but I then took it apart to admire the ancient innards, and had the idea of updating them by adding more modern functionality, such as Bluetooth. I soon got a bit carried away and 3D modeled the Sanyo and all of the components that I wanted to fit into it on my pc. But that wasn't enough...

Now the list of components has outgrown the tiny Sanyo, so I've scaled it up a bit (any ideas on where I can get the case 3D printed and how much?) and now includes;

D.A.B+ Radio,

Bluetooth,

DNLA media sharing, Alexa/Google assistant (haven't decided which is best off-line yet or if I can share my phone data plan), 

a Raspberry Pie 3 (may upgrade yet), 

Runs KODI media center and Emulator software (two player Street Fighter with awesome sound system anyone?)

a Raspberry Pie Zero (lighting),

x2 amplifiers, 

x2 50w RMS speakers, 

a 15w RMS 3 inch subwoofer (sealed box with passive radiator tuned to 60Hz) 

x2 passive radiators, 

a 28000 mah LiPo battery pack and balacing/charging circuit, 

a 7inch 1080p monitor with touch-screen overlay (may need to run Android on the RP3 for that), 

a blue laser back-lighting effect for the buttons/edges, 

an 'Ambilight' LED system (that projects the colours on the screen against the wall behind the box when watching media), 

another LED lighting rig for disco partying, 

AND probably a few more things that I've forgotten!

I've got most of the bits now, still saving for the touch-screen tv, RP3 and a decent soldering iron/station. I've just moved house and have zero space to set up my test bench again :sad: .

I'm currently circuit testing the 3 relay charge / battery system with light bulbs to double check that it works before hooking up the expensive parts! I am very new to electronics but have learnt a lot very quickly (and at some expense!). 

I'll order the Raspberry Pie 3 soon and start with the lighting systems, then program Alexa in and wire up the microphones.

Let me know how crazy you think I am in the comments (or pass on any wisdom), I may have lost my perspective slightly.. :blink:

Attached File  orca-image-1502735863991.jpg_1502735864147.jpeg   111.21K   7 downloads

#2 MechaMatt

MechaMatt
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:03 AM

Ah, I may have failed to point out that the project will be housed in a scaled up, custom made, version of the original Sanyo boombox with my best efforts to maintain the original look. In the model it's over 500mm long!

#3 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:22 PM

Wowsers! Interesting!

#4 caution

caution
  • Members
  • 1,412 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:27 PM

Wow what an intro, welcome to the community! You've come to the right place.

This is a pretty great project you've undertaking, impressive timeline on learning all that you have. Passion for boxes knows no bounds.

If you didn't have so much experience with 3D I'd suggest a retrofit into an original chassis, but it sounds like you're on top of it all.

#5 T-STER

T-STER
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:25 PM

Bloody hell, your obviously bat shiat crazy so you will fit right in....

Seriously though that sounds like a mammoth project but hell i cant wait to see what happens. Document some steps if you can so we can follow along  :thumbsup:

#6 goodman

goodman
  • Members
  • 1,546 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:33 AM

Wow, this is big and interesting project! Goodluck. :yes:

#7 IVH

IVH
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:39 AM

Cool project, but be careful with those lipo batteries, I bought one for my project and have regretted it ever since. 

A much safer way would be to buy/assemble a 18650 lithium battery pack.

Good luck with your project!

#8 redbenjoe

redbenjoe

I Am Legend

• Eternal Order of Boom
  • 17,953 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:48 PM

Cool project, but be careful with those lipo batteries, I bought one for my project and have regretted it ever since. 

right - those very compact 18650s are 3.6 volts 

put 4 of them in serious and you have some power !!

#9 IVH

IVH
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:25 AM

right - those very compact 18650s are 3.6 volts 

put 4 of them in serious and you have some power !!

Indeed, that's what I'm gonna do, I'll only need 3 in series as my Hitachi is only 12v.  It's possible to fit a 12v 7000mAh battery pack in the original battery compartiment of this boombox, pretty impressive!