I hit the DiscoLite jackpot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Presence

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
Parnassus, NZ
so this probably started about 5 weeks ago when someone (think was in Australia) on the FB Boomboxery page posted he had been offered one of these. think they wanted $1500 for it. i was thinking to myself "wish i could find something like that" not that i would pay that much. silly money.
then like 3-4 weeks later, about to go to bed i see exactly the same thing on our auction site. local (my closest city) pick up, $150 opening bid. i had to check it a few times just to actually believe it. it had only been on since earlier that day, so still 6 days left. i dont usually put early bids on but at 10am the next morning i did. only because once bids are on the price or buy now cant be changed. and to stop someone making a offer and stealing it away from me. thinking the reserve would have been around $500 anyway. I had high hopes id get it cheaper than that due to the listing not having any key words suggesting what it actually was.
then randomly 2 days into auction another 1 got listed in auckland. $500 opening bid. way worse condition. this 1 had all the key words, 6X more views and watchers. but ended 2 days before the 1 i wanted. at the end, someone put a bid of 500 then instantly 600. auction ends and there was a reserve of $2000. the bidder had put their phone number in the questions (against the rules, and i usually call them out on it) its not being listed again so im guessing he paid 600 for it.

i still had high hopes. someone chucked a bid against me the day before auction ended $180. auction day, ended at 10.20am. conveniently the time im usually at home having morning coffee break. the plan was just to chuck $25 each bid till i got to $450-500. then just offer $500. 3 bids in reserve met at $250. then someone else bids. 255. then put my auto bid on set to 450. so my bid was $260
end of auction. ah hell yea!

so went and picked it up on friday night. not really expecting much. talking to the owner. his wife had purchased it sometime 1987-1988 for $375. which im guessing was quite a lot then. he said her and kids used to have parties with it now and then. they were about the same age as my parents so guessing the parties got less frequent in the 90s and it might have been taken out of box maybe at Christmas/new yrs. he had mentioned he did some research and found 1 that sold in 2013 for $1400 and had tried to put his reserve up, but my early bid stopped him doing it. i felt a bit bad about that. so i ended up giving him $300 and told him it would be well cherished and not sold on.

enough of typing. here is my almost perfect Breakdancer DiscoLite with box
DSC02872.JPG
DSC02874.JPG
DSC02877.JPG
DSC02870.JPG
DSC02862.JPGDSC02866.JPG

only things i found wrong. missing 2 eq bits. broken tape timer reset button. and a small stain on the red speaker. everything working good. couldn't believe how good it was when got out of box.

Van Presence

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
Parnassus, NZ
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Great find and let me be the first to say congrats!!
These always go for stupid money so I'm glad you got a minter for low $$$s.! :-)
cheers James. yea im quite chuffed. didnt really wanna spend too much on 1. still cant believe no one even tried to outbid me. just really unfortunate for the seller not putting boombox or ghetto blaster in the description. had to search 'portable stereo'

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
This is really a dream story and a boxed Disco is sooooooooo awesome! Great job and don't feel bad that your hard work searching over the years has net you a great deal!

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I learned only the select few people actually save all the packing and take care of things that long. Really amazing but my brother still has packaging and boxes from the mid 80's and he saves everything.
All in all fantastic find. Rock on !.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Fark! That is a major score, in the box too!

Congrats man that is so awesome

Van Presence

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
Parnassus, NZ
Cheers everyone. Needless to say this is definitely a keeper. By far the best condition box I own now.
Just need the few missing bits to make perfect. I'll post in parts wanted I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.