935 no power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeroseedz

Member (SA)
Sep 15, 2017
I stumbled upon this guy on a recent thrifting trip and picked it up for about $10. I get the thing home and discovered the power cord had been cut. Why somebody would do this is beyond me? I tried to use D batteries but it still would not work. The only thing I could get to work was the clock that required a 9 volt battery. Is there any hope for this thing or just parts for my next find? Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Attachments

Superduper

Member (SA)
Folks fixes these all the time but they are typically dedicated enough to take the time to research and learn some of the repair techniques common for restoring these old radios. If you spend enough time here, and read enough of the technical posts, even if not specifically about this model, you will still learn lots of information and tips regarding restoring boomboxes in general as many of these same tips apply across many makes and models.

If you are completely lost with electronics and don't know where to begin, and you aren't really interested in this as a hobby but just to get this one radio fixed, then you can see if another member is local to you, or perhaps have a repair shop go through it for you if you are willing to pay. It won't be less than $10 though.

Zeroseedz

Member (SA)
Sep 15, 2017
JVC Floyd said:
Have you tried the ac/DC switch on the back of the box.
No I have not. I will throw the batteries back in and give it a try when I get off work tonight. Thank you for your suggestion.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Yeah most lasonics have an ac/DC switch because the cord is hard wired to the power supply , also the cord is really easy to replace , I would just get a cord and the connections are made with wire nuts inside the box from the factory.

Zeroseedz

Member (SA)
Sep 15, 2017
I retried the batteries and hit the switch and still did not have any luck. I was able to remove the rest of the old power cord. Now I have to try and find a replacement power cord and get it installed.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
I just bought a CD player from Goodwill for the power switch, so if you want the cord from it, it's all yours.
And I just threw away like 20 suicide cords, they multiply when you're not looking :annoyed:

Zeroseedz

Member (SA)
Sep 15, 2017
JVC Floyd said:
I think you need to look inside to make sure everything is connected properly.
I took a peak inside and everything looks to be connected. I don't have the battery door to the radio so maybe they were not seated correctly or the connectors may be corroded?

caution said:
I just bought a CD player from Goodwill for the power switch, so if you want the cord from it, it's all yours.
And I just threw away like 20 suicide cords, they multiply when you're not looking :annoyed:
lol thanks man! I will try to find one when I am out and about today if I am out of luck I will contact you. Thank you again

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
If there is a fuse it'll be on the power board that connects to the transformer, sometimes there's a spot for a fuse holder but no actual fuse holder in place. On mine the fuse holder is bypassed with jumper wires and there's no fuse or holder present.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have a feeling that you will get it all fixed. This is a wonderful start of a nice hobby.

You got a very good Lasonic box, one of the best models to have.

It could be something very simple like a bad power switch.... and so on..

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Zeroseedz said:
I retried the batteries and hit the switch and still did not have any luck. I was able to remove the rest of the old power cord. Now I have to try and find a replacement power cord and get it installed.
When you tried batteries did you switch it to DC? All Lasonics have AC/DC switches :-) Also cleaning power switch might help. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.