Are parts transferrable from other RC models to the M70?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Straker

Member (SA)
Apr 26, 2017
Hi,

Does anyone know if any parts from other boxes in the RC series are interchangeable with those inside the M70?

thanks
Straker

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Not much. Mics, battery coils, some board level components (caps, ICs, resistors, diodes), and maybe some pots, motors and speakers if you're lucky.

Straker

Member (SA)
Apr 26, 2017
Thank you for your responses.

I have an RC M70. It was in reasonable condition until I decided to rebelt it. Now, whenever I try to use the tape deck it goes haywire and repeatedly autostops. Once it starts 'autostopping' it will not stop, even when I change the function to radio. I have to unplug from the wall to make it stop clicking. Radio works fine still but I have also noticed that the first of the level meters is now stuck on maximum reading with the needle constantly to the right hand side as soon as I turn the power on.

I am fairly confident that I have not actually broken anything and that this is a reassembly issue. I think I have disconnected or wrongly connected something mechanical on the tape deck. For one, I am not convinced that I put the pause mechanism back in place properly. If anyone has a picture of the tape deck with a close up of the levers and mechanism associated with the pause that might assist me greatly. From the library of pictures I have found online I cannot see how the levers should be positioned.

Any tips would be gratefully received. I don't really want to fork out to get this box fixed when I sense that I just need to reassemble again properly. I have studied the service manual but am struggling to interpret the blown up diagram of the tape deck. My previous question was because I was wondering if I could buy a different RC model as a donor and replace the tape deck part completely. I note there is an M70 tape deck spare on ebay at the moment but it looks a bit rough to me.

thanks
Straker

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Hmmm i have a M70 deck already out of the box in my spares box. A photo of that may help, its in the loft but i will try and get to it later.

Straker

Member (SA)
Apr 26, 2017
Appreciated. Any detailed pictures of the pause mechanism gubbins would be really helpful, especially just above the fly wheel. No urgency so completely at your leisure.

ta
Straker

Superduper

Member (SA)
It sounds like you have the battery/tuner/VU button is pressed down. Check to see if the switch is not shorted or constantly depressed. The left meter is dual VU/Battery meter and will deflect to reflect battery voltage, max if AC.

As for mechanism continually clicking, it sounds like a mechanical problem, possibly an error in the rebelting or other issue not allowing the deck to reset. Decks sometimes also make that noise if it's run in reverse due to wrong motor (CW instead of CCW) or improper belt routing, although in the case of an M70, unlikely since it's pretty self explanatoy. On the other hand, I've noticed that the M70 deck is very sensitive to friction and jamming of all the various levers and slides. It needs to be completely clean, free movement and lubed where appropriate, and rust/corrosion cleaned off for most reliable operation.

Straker

Member (SA)
Apr 26, 2017
Thank you. That gives me some useful direction for resolution of both problems. Once I get hold of some good pictures to compare against I think I will try another reassemble and make sure I clean and lube all appropriate parts.

Look forward to when you manage to get your M70 out of the loft T-STER.

Straker

Status
Not open for further replies.