** Class D amplifier upgrade for your favourite boomer**

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:50 PM

I set up my 2 old skool kicker 8 inch sub's in ideal boxes and they smoke the shiat out of 2 15's in mediocre boxes so that goes to show utilizing what you have makes a huge difference.

I was able to remove 2 15 inch sub's from the system because those tiny kickers are dialed in like a motherfuker.

#32 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,162 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:00 PM

I set up my 2 old skool kicker 8 inch sub's in ideal boxes and they smoke the shiat out of 2 15's in mediocre boxes so that goes to show utilizing what you have makes a huge difference.I was able to remove 2 15 inch sub's from the system because those tiny kickers are dialed in like a motherfuker.

Sounds like you absolutely nailed the setup of those 8s. :rock:
Love all this construction talk Floyd. :-)

Kick arse performance on a budget - making dreams come true. :lol:

You know those ABS plastic project boxes you see around the place? Water/air tight, durable etc. They would be perfect housings for a portable unit but the plain sided ones available are just to damn small for the job:
Attached File  99DF6E11-1766-4BDB-ACE9-141ED3600378.jpeg   13.57K   0 downloads
310 mm wide is about as big as they go. The larger ones have hinged doors etc which is no good.

If we could source a manufacturer that would be interested in pumping out some M90 sized, thick walled ABS cabinets, we’d be well on our way to making something cool looking that would also although for proper tuning etc. Maybe some cool exterior classic details + some chrome trims etc. If the internal walls were part of the cabinet, we wouldn’t need an internal frame. We could also incorporate a proper fold down handle setup too.

Any ideas? :-)

#33 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:38 PM

I think that 1/4 inch birch plywood with marine resin is the lightest strongest option.

#34 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,162 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:45 AM

I think that 1/4 inch birch plywood with marine resin is the lightest strongest option.

I was thinking something in ABS plastic to keep the ‘no wood’ guys happy. A glossy black or silver cabinet could be cool - black plastic handle with chrome metal ends like an Hitachi TRK-8080 would be easy to implement.

Real steel chromed or polished alloy driver and tweeter trims with fine mesh low sheen black metal grills. Some slits cut half depth into the rear case to simulate cooling vents + front mounted bass, treble, balance, volume and loudness controls. A pair of horizontal led VU meters with green/red LEDs and a battery indicator could complete the front panel details.

I don’t think it would cost much to simply upsize an existing cabinet design to a large, one piece vintage boombox sized cabinet to allow easy bass reflex cabinet tuning. Should be light weight too. :-)