Panasonic RX-7200 has a mind of it's own, and it's driving ME out of MY mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

doity

Member (SA)
Sep 30, 2012
West Linn, OR USA
I have a Panasonic RX-7200 that over the past few weeks has started doing 'strange' things. I was in the other room one evening and I start hearing a clicking or tapping sound. Went in and looked and it was the tape deck of the RX-7200 and it seemed as if was randomly going through some of the tape functions like rewind/from, play, record, etc. even though I was not listening to the cassette portion but in fact was using the line in function.

I looked at the Boombox and thought maybe the timer function was activated but it was not as well as any of the other features that you might think would trigger such a thing we're not either. The deck is a logic controlled deck and it has to be one of the earliest examples of this technology. When the deck goes all 'Poltergeist' on me the audio will mute whether I am using the line in or the phono, etc.

Anyone else on this board experience a similar issue with either a Panasonic or other Boombox? I am bummed because this is one of my prized possessions and I cannot aford to have it repaired as I just went through major car repairs on both of my cars and I am broke. I am not even using the tape deck on it as it is so that makes it even more frustrating.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
I had an m90 do this about a year ago after a failed repair my guess is the logic chips were fried...i scrapped the deck for other m90's and gave the m90 away to a great member here...not much help to you but i guess id start with the logic chips...good luck

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I know this sounds stupid but check the logic controls for excess moisture from humidity or cleaners . I had this happen before and I was surprised by what I saw when I looked at the control board.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
If it's like the M90 the buttons are like your remotes, with those conductive pads on a rubber sheet between the buttons and the contacts on the board. Maybe the pads are sticking to the board or some of the conductive material has worked its way off the pads and onto the contacts, causing the deck to engage intermittently.

doity

Member (SA)
Sep 30, 2012
West Linn, OR USA
Thanks for the tips guys. Well, the problem went away almost as sudden as it came on. It has not happened for a couple of weeks now so I have my fingers crossed it won't pop up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.