Sharp VZ-2000 - How to repair cassette deck / Removing door from top (need easy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

klassicjam

Apr 2, 2017
Louisiana - USA
Hello. The current issue that I'm having with my Sharp VZ-2000 is the tape is stopping after 2 or 3 seconds. I can see the gear turning, then stopping; it appears that the large gear has "rubber" with a small notch missing. I cannot tell if this was a belt that was broken or just rubber on the larger wheel inside. The belt on the tape counter is good.

How do you remove the door to access these gears, belts, and tiny parts without breaking it (easy way) from the top {I'm hoping}??

Also, how many belts are in the cassette mechanism section? Any pictures or illustrations is deeply appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Chris

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
There are threads for the vz 2000 in the tech talk section, I'm pretty sure you can find what you are looking for there.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
It isn't easy, no. You have to remove (in this order) the:
Front part of the case
Turntable
Internal frame the deck mounts to
Screws holding the deck to the frame
Counter belt and the spring connecting the deck to the record bar

Then you can get at the rest of the belts and the idler tire. This is the way the service manual has it and I've done it. Works fine.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
If one is not careful it is so easy to break the cassette door hinges and cassette door assembly.
So easy to break the power switch ...and so on.
There was a step by step instruction to work on VZ2000 here and now it is missing.

Once you remove the front cover and record player section it is easy to remove the cassette part and work on it. If I remember well there is a long steel line connection from the record button to the record bar switch. That needs to removed first before taking out the cassette deck section. ~ Royce

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
It's not that hard the way Sharp had the techs do it. Go slow when you pull the front off, pull up a bit at the deck and power switch lever, they may need a little help getting free.

klassicjam

Apr 2, 2017
Louisiana - USA
JVC Floyd said:
There are threads for the vz 2000 in the tech talk section, I'm pretty sure you can find what you are looking for there.
Thank you very much.... I'll take a look searching through the threads in the tech talk section.

caution said:
It isn't easy, no. You have to remove (in this order) the:
Front part of the case
Turntable
Internal frame the deck mounts to
Screws holding the deck to the frame
Counter belt and the spring connecting the deck to the record bar

Then you can get at the rest of the belts and the idler tire. This is the way the service manual has it and I've done it. Works fine.
Appreciate it. I was hoping to remove the door and make repairs from the top.... but it won't be easy for the dis-assemble. I have a local electronic technician that has worked on my Boombox twice already - he's really good. I trust him more than I trust myself; this is what he does every day. All he needs is some direction... just like your response which I thank you very much. It's so nice to have good and knowledgeable people on this site that are willing to help others. THANK YOU!

caution said:
It's not that hard the way Sharp had the techs do it. Go slow when you pull the front off, pull up a bit at the deck and power switch lever, they may need a little help getting free.

Thanks for sending the nice detailed illustrations. This will help aid my local electronic technician to make this repair. This is Awesome - thanks again.

klassicjam

Apr 2, 2017
Louisiana - USA
JVC Floyd said:
BoomboxLover48 said:
If one is not careful it is so easy to break the cassette door hinges and cassette door assembly.
So easy to break the power switch ...and so on.
There was a step by step instruction to work on VZ2000 here and now it is missing.

Once you remove the front cover and record player section it is easy to remove the cassette part and work on it. If I remember well there is a long steel line connection from the record button to the record bar switch. That needs to removed first before taking out the cassette deck section. ~ Royce
Thanks, Royce. I really appreciate you checking on the step by step instruction for me. Yes, it's so easy to break parts on the dis-assemble... Already broke the turntable control board trying to repair the tone arm. Luckily I got it repaired at a decent price and the part worked great. He left the wires longer for me and additional supports (just in case). Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.