Fact or Fiction!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
WD 40

One has to take a fine layer of paint little more deeper, evenly around the scratch, to remove scratches. In reality a thin layer of film is removed. Coating thickness has a lot to with the performance so it is not good to remove a good chunk of the coating layer in this process.

A dry film thickness gage come handy here. Check the initial paint thickness as one buff off the clear coat. Clear coats are ~2mils in thickness. If one is taking more than 2 mils, then clear coat protection is removed from the paint and we went into the base coat. As you know base coat has no exterior durability and will sooner or later result in coatings failure.

One option is to fill the scratch and wet sand it and repeat the process till it looks good. In many cases repainting is the best option.

There are so many fake videos out there to fool people.

WD 40 can only clean the surface of the paint, it cannot melt and flow the clear coat of a car.

People get fooled by this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL2HIuJR43A

The real fact....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYtpMQfhFSI

Watch towards the end of it.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
LOL that's funny. The only thing WD40 can do is temporarily "lubricate" the scratch so that it becomes less noticeable for a short time. But the scratch is still there, just as bad as it was before.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
in 2 or 3 weeks...
i will be coming out with WD-50
which will cure and fix and solve every problem in the world

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Superduper said:
WD-40 will quickly and completely strip the silver paint off your Pioneer & probably other models too. Keep away from boomboxes. WD-40 is not a lubricant, it is a solvent.
Hey Norm, I have a Sankei TCR-S90 with a silver control plate. It's not regular silver paint, but something a bit more reflective than that. It's actually a pretty good imitation of aluminum. The problem is, the seller taped the doors shut with Scotch tape, and the residue still shows. Since this type of paint is very fragile, how do you suggest removing the tape residue? Rubbing alcohol? Goo Gone?

silver paint.jpg

Superduper

Member (SA)
Uh oh, YOU'RE screwed!, lol.

If it was mine, I would probably try soaking that are first in soapy warm to hot water to hopefully soften it up and see if you luck out. If that doesn't work, then maybe try some vegetable oil and if still no joy, I will probably try a little bit of alcohol, lightly, and hold my breath the whole time. Or maybe just use the tried and true fingernail tool coupled with patience.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Superduper said:
WD-40 will quickly and completely strip the silver paint off your Pioneer & probably other models too. Keep away from boomboxes. WD-40 is not a lubricant, it is a solvent.
Great advice! :yes:

Reli said:
Hey Norm, I have a Sankei TCR-S90 with a silver control plate. It's not regular silver paint, but something a bit more reflective than that. It's actually a pretty good imitation of aluminum. The problem is, the seller taped the doors shut with Scotch tape, and the residue still shows. Since this type of paint is very fragile, how do you suggest removing the tape residue? Rubbing alcohol? Goo Gone?

silver paint.jpg
OMS (Odorless Mineral Spirits) dissolve adhesives normally without dissolving the paint.

Adhesive remover available on local paint shops normally contain aromatic fractions that can ruin the paint in some cases.

Never use just Mineral Spirits, they contain 7% aromatic fractions like toluene, ethyl benzene and other fractions that can kill the paint.

I will try with a Q tip and work at a corner of that dried adhesive part. It is available at walmart!

Attachments

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
redbenjoe said:
in 2 or 3 weeks...
We should all say "bye bye" to Ira now. The big corporations will buy up the formula for WD-50 and snuff Ira. :lol: ;-)

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Fatdog said:
in 2 or 3 weeks...
We should all say "bye bye" to Ira now. The big corporations will buy up the formula for WD-50 and snuff Ira. :lol: ;-)
WD- 50 is for Beach babes! Ira's special brew of oils.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
BoomboxLover48 said:
in 2 or 3 weeks...
WD- 50 is for Beach babes! Ira's special brew of oils.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Superduper said:
Uh oh, YOU'RE screwed!, lol.

If it was mine, I would probably try soaking that are first in soapy warm to hot water to hopefully soften it up and see if you luck out. If that doesn't work, then maybe try some vegetable oil and if still no joy, I will probably try a little bit of alcohol, lightly, and hold my breath the whole time. Or maybe just use the tried and true fingernail tool coupled with patience.
Good call :thumbsup: , always try in a small area too, if there is a less noticeable spot, next too or behind a knob.

The warm water and soap works wonders if your patient :yes:

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
BoomboxLover48 said:
OMS (Odorless Mineral Spirits) dissolve adhesives normally without dissolving the paint.

Adhesive remover available on local paint shops normally contain aromatic fractions that can ruin the paint in some cases.

Never use just Mineral Spirits, they contain 7% aromatic fractions like toluene, ethyl benzene and other fractions that can kill the paint.

I will try with a Q tip and work at a corner of that dried adhesive part. It is available at walmart!
Thanks! You say never use 100% mineral spirits? That Gamsol you posted says 100% spirits

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Reli said:

Thanks! You say never use 100% mineral spirits? That Gamsol you posted says 100% spirits

It has to be 100% mineral spirits. Not the one containing 7% aromatic fraction. Gamsol is perfect for the use.
Sorry If I confused you!

Status
Not open for further replies.