Sony FH-909 In Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwana

Feb 7, 2015
Hi
I picked up a Sony FH-909R the other day. It needs some work - more than what my meagre skill level can offer. Does anyone know someone in Brisbane (QLD, Australia) that might want t take a look? Issues are:

- The amp powers on (some of the lights come on), but there's no sound. You can hear the speaker protection relay click, but can't get any sound. The switches won't change the source and the spectrum analyser doesn't light up (could be just the bulb??).
- The tape deck also powers on, but has a lot of trouble opening (uses a motorised loading mechanism - with some coaxing, it will open and close). Once the tape is loaded, you can hear the mech trying to engage, but I suspect the belts are dead.
- The general cosmetics suggest that it's spent some time somewhere damp - the cabinets are rusty in places and the screws show corrosion. The power cord also doesn't look to be in great condition and I think this should be replaced.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Liam

davebush

Member (SA)
Jun 18, 2010
Sunny Blackpool. UK
Hey Liam...check this link out https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/sony-fh-909-hifi-stereo-repair-advice/

I sometimes have to tap my amp on the top or side to get the volume to start..(pain in the ass)

deck is most likely belts....if the heads are still engaged, it wont open....

I have one these and they need servicing with lube etc etc

bulb is likely the no display thing....from what i can remember its 2 x 24v in series but im not sure

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
I have a boxed one thanks to my friend Dave bush....although it worked when i had her from dave...it took a year to fully fix....it will need new relay switch..had mine from china new bulbs and possibly a new amp still available...my amp blew because of the faulty relay switch....a total pain in the A$$ but well worth the effort..good luck...ohh and she had lots of dry joints common with sony...but this is easily the best box in my collection, I was lucky as I have a top notch engineer, otherwise it would have more than likely gone out for the rubbish

bwana

Feb 7, 2015
Hi Dave and Rimmer
Thanks, i read through that link - sounds like a common issue. Just not confident to do the work myself. Open to any suggestions around Brisbane to take it to...

Thanks
Liam

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
we are in the uk, so not sure where you can take her to liam sorry but this is a big forum so you may find someone, good luck

bwana

Feb 7, 2015
Thanks, despite my lack of skill, whacking the top of the amp led to the spectrum analyser working again and it will now allow me to change the input (cd, tape, whatever). Still no sound though, but progress nonetheless.

I also noticed that the amp board looks kinda brownish. The other boards look green..? Doesnt seem right to me..??

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Something else i have rmembered Liam...this has 2 relay switches, one for the power and one that if it isn't working cuts out the sound, this is the one you will need to replace :-)

bwana

Feb 7, 2015
Yes, i popped the top off and saw them both. Im assuming the culprit is the one on the amp board?

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
the culprit is the one with the see through cover sunshine, yes I think it's on the amp board but I can't remember

bwana

Feb 7, 2015
Hi,
Sorry, I've reassembled and not confident I have the skills to diagnose. If you give me a little more info, I'm willing to try again next weekend?

bwana

Feb 7, 2015
Well, I've made some progress... we have sound and replaced the lamps that illuminate the spectrum analyser. The capacitor that stores teh eq memory needs to be replaced. One thing that does have me stumped is the left channel in for the cd player. No sound at all. Contacts cleaned and all looks fine visually. Right channel works as it should. Phono input works fine on both channels.

...any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.