Your Mail-In Repair Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PostEnder

Member (SA)
Nov 21, 2012
Southeastern U.S.A.
The Introduction

Hi, folks. I'm trying to get my JVC RC-M50JW repaired. It's had a "sluggish" cassette deck almost every moment of use since early October 2015, following my ordering it -- in what seemed to be fair to good condition -- from an L.A.-based eBay seller late in the previous month.

The Story

In fact, yesterday evening I was reminded of how bad my woes with the JVC are. In planning on sending the stereo off for (more) repair, I decided to test the 'M50 again while awaiting the arrival of shipping supplies. I managed to play back two long club/dance tracks on a 1993, eleven-track dance-music audiocassette compilation. I say "managed to" because of the tape-tangling scare (or "tape-bunching scare") that the JVC put me through nearly five minutes into track 1's playback. I ended up first playing track 1 on the non-recording tape deck of a TEAC CD-burner that we have here at home. (That playback was possible only after using my BIC pen to loosen up and adjust the once-stuck reels of the probably long-unplayed audiotape.) Track 1 is listed by the record label, Epic/Sony Music, as being 7:20 in run time, but the TEAC's tape deck -- long suspected to be overspeeding -- was timed as playing the track in 7 minutes 5.90 seconds. Back to the JVC I went and -- feeling quite apprehensive -- I played back track 1. Its run time: close to eight minutes. (I forget exactly how long.) Track 2 -- the compilation's longest, officially nine minutes thirty-one in run time -- clocked in, with my Casio, at over ten minutes, two seconds. (By the way, the music is engaging, lyrically relatively spare fare -- with the opening track's female singer's vocals certainly recognizable -- but track 1 doesn't quite have the probably instant memorability of the hit song by the same artist.)

The Request

Anyway, I popped in here to ask: how many of you have used a mail-in (or "mail-order") boombox-repair service? Perhaps the answer is obvious: many members of websites such as BoomBoxery have sent their Aiwas, their Panasonics, their Sonys, etc., to be fixed up by other members with whom they have extensively and satisfyingly corresponded -- and, at times, whom they have met beforehand.

So maybe one should ask: how many here on BoomBoxery have mailed equipment to an unfamiliar person's apparently professional audio-electronics repair business -- one of a clearly vanishing breed of professions? I've corresponded with the owner of the business (which he apparently set up back in the Eighties). It took a week for his first reply, but he seems honest and confident enough. The name of the repair business is Hi Tech Service. It's based in Nashville, Tennessee. Ring a bell, anyone? (Uh, perhaps more to the point: is Tom, the owner of the business, here on BoomBoxery and/or on that other website? I kind of feel that he is, though he doesn't say so in his replies to me.)

In Conclusion ...

So, gentle members, before I ship out any valuable hardware ... what's what here?

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
This has nothing to do with feedback for an ebay member. I am moving this thread to General Chat.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Hi PostEnder
:hi:

Man, it sure would be sweet to have a place to mail all these radio's and they just come back like new. But sadly, I know nothing like that. There are a few repair shops here and there. Recently a repair shop was discovered in Los Angeles, but you couldn't ship him a radio and he ship's it back, you have to drop it off and pick it up.

99% of radio's are repaired by their owners with the support of this community. My advise is to set up a nice place in your home where you can work on your radio's, get the proper tools, take pictures of everything as you take it apart, every step of the way, so you can put it back together and when needed, ask for help from the community in the Tech Talk section.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Why use 100 words when 1000 words will do? :-)
This constitutes my whole issue with this member and why i will never gratify any of his posts with a response. He is a person who has had this pointed out numerous times (on both sites and by many members) and usually has no one respond to his posts which at time have bordered on absurdly wordy.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
By the time you pay for shipping ($25-40 each way), plus $75-150 for the repairs, you're looking at a $300 RC-M50 that's only worth $80. Which is perfectly fine if you really like that model. But otherwise...

His website looks very generic, not much in the way of details......But that's typical for shops like that. Best bet is to read his Yelp reviews (though some will be fake).

Superduper

Member (SA)
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Hi PostEnder
:hi:

99% of radio's are repaired by their owners with the support of this community. My advise is to set up a nice place in your home where you can work on your radio's, get the proper tools, take pictures of everything as you take it apart, every step of the way, so you can put it back together and when needed, ask for help from the community in the Tech Talk section.
Chris, that's already been tried with this member. I personally would never again in this lifetime participate once more in such a wasteful adventure.

PostEnder

Member (SA)
Nov 21, 2012
Southeastern U.S.A.
To Fatdog (the administrator): excuse my erroneously posted message.

To jimmyjimmy19702010: still learning self-editing over here …

To Lasonic TRC-920 (a moderator): your second paragraph reminds me how out of my element I often seem to be, trying to sustain a pricey, maintenance-intense hobby when I have near-zero repairer skills (or the aptitude to learn them, I shrug to say).

To T-STER: I still appreciate the time and trouble you went to (on that other website) in stripping – and explaining the nicely photographed stripping of – your own Aiwa CS-600U in trying to help me repair mine.

To Reli: I have looked over some of the Yelp reviews of Hi Tech Service over in Nashville, Tennessee. I saved a copy of a very long, accusing (and obviously negative) review, but the owner still seemed honest and competent enough in our e-mail correspondence. Then again, with the hitch to my mail-in repair plans of late, I probably won’t discover just how good a technician he is. (Sigh)

And Superduper: stinging as before. (Sigh again)

Status
Not open for further replies.