Hola

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob164ab

Member (SA)
Jul 13, 2017
San Diego
What's up Fellas,

New to the boombox scene, at least since I owned one as a kid anyways, and wanted to say wassup. I picked up A Lasonic TRC-931 that I'm pretty excited to start taking apart and cleaning/ fixing. I grew up working on cars (owned a couple swapped hondas,) so I'm sure I'm going to love this new acquired hobby and was stoked to see there's an actual scene, community, and forum out there!

A couple things about my box that I've noticed...
Both Band Knob and Function Knob are free spinning (doesn't catch or is able to change,)
Hooked up a Y adapter to the line in's on the side and was playing from my phone. This box is pretty loud! (Christened it with LL Cool J - Can't Live w/o My Radio)
Inconsistent hum to the speakers though. A couple random taps in random places (mostly the volume knob) will make it go away temporarily,
When playing from the vertical standing tape deck, it will play the cassette, but only to the Right speaker (the line in's played both L and R,) L speaker has a low hum,
When attempting to use the horizontal "push in" tape deck, it just rewinds a cpl seconds, stops, FF a acpl secs, stops, then repeat,
The Main Power button sometimes doesn't stick after you push it in. Either takes a couple times or you just have to hold it in if you want power.

That's all for now. Like I said, I can't wait to start working on it and get it performing like it should. I've been music shop and thrift store hopping to find cassettes the past week or two and that alone has been an awesome experience. Stoked to be here!

Gonna try to post an image, If it doesn't work I'll just link my IG - https://www.instagra.../p/BWTxIz1lNcU/

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:36211]

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Welcome, nice box!
Remove the knobs and see if their ends are still tight (they might be cracked). If it's still good, there's an issue with the gears inside that those knobs connect to. Several people have found a solution to that -- I'm sure they'll reply.

As for the sound and static issues, try going inside and spraying the function selector switch with contact cleaner. That switch usually needs cleaning in every boombox.

rob164ab

Member (SA)
Jul 13, 2017
San Diego
Reli said:
Welcome, nice box!
Remove the knobs and see if their ends are still tight (they might be cracked). If it's still good, there's an issue with the gears inside that those knobs connect to. Several people have found a solution to that -- I'm sure they'll reply.

As for the sound and static issues, try going inside and spraying the function selector switch with contact cleaner. That switch usually needs cleaning in every boombox.
Thanks Dude!

First thing I did was tug on the external knobs to see if the disconnect was external. They're still pretty tight so that's not it, even has the little lines that give it a little more friction when putting them on. Pretty sure it's internal. So the plastic white "inner knob" still free spins but i would pull it out, give it a quarter turn, push it in, give it a quarter turn (was hoping to catch something for an easy fix, but it didn't.)

Is there a particular brand spray that's popular here? I haven't gotten to taking it apart yet. In fact after I tried the knob thing, I left the knobs off because I didn't want to wear them down with unnecessary removal and install multiple times...

Thanks for the response!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Welcome to the site. as Reli said, those function switches are a constant issue. I am working with another member right now on a solution so keep your eyes open on the forum in the next month or so.

Getting to those gears is takes a bit of work, but it will not only fix the problem for good, but it will significantly increase the value of the radio!

Welcome to the site.

BTW, there are semi regular Boombox Meets on the west coast, you can see that here: https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/forum/47-west-coast-meets/

ralrein1

Member (SA)
Welcome! Very cool Lasonic you've got yourself. A very good spray for cleaning the static and improving performance is called Deoxit D5. Manufactured by a company called Caig. Get yourself a can,you won't be sorry you did. The stuff is amazing. Should be able to find it at some electronics shop their in San Dog. If not,it can be ordered off of eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.