Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2017
Toronto Canada
TWELVE HOLY GRAIL BOOMBOX GHETTO BLASTERS CELEBRATE CANADA'S 150TH BIRTHDAY WITH THE TORONTO SKYLINE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnkOPz2fsBg&t=82s

Sorry about the upside down photos. I sincerely cannot figure out how to fix them.
If someone wants to PM me their email address,
I will send the photos to post the right way up (if you can)
Unless Boomboxery has the ability to please correct this on their end?

I just realized that at least 3 of these 12 boomboxes were sold under different brand names in countries of the world outside of Canada.
Can anyone list the brand names & model numbers of the 12 ghettoblasters in these photos and video?
Bonus points for any AKA's or A.K.A.'s or "Also Known As's", which rock.

It would be extra impressive to attempt to do this from memory in one sitting with no researching.

Also, in my humble opinion (IMHO) there is one wannabee pretender here to the title of "holy grail",
or at least the least deserving of this overused designation.
Discuss.

Attachments

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
SpaceLobster said:
I see the pics upside down, but even upside down those are some amazing shots and boxes wow!
​What an intro. Welcome :).
​Peace
Haha. Yeah, it's almost like.... they're on top of the world.

PostEnder

Member (SA)
Nov 21, 2012
Southeastern U.S.A.
Certainly turns a blue-sky perspective on its head :huh: ...
But, hey, a good-looking set of portables, JVC RC-M90 and all that you've got over there in the USA's northern neighbour, Weltron Clairtone Braun! :yes: You're off to a bracing start here on BoomBoxery.

louis365

May 27, 2010
Ottawa
You have what I consider the three most desirable Boombox's. Great collection.

As to aka's...something I have never seen noted on this site..not that I come here alot, or have gone through the site..but there is an aka to the Telefunken Studio 1, that was sold in Italy, that is technically identical, just had a different name, and that is the " Imperial Mini Rack 250 Hifi".

Cyriac

Member (SA)
Nov 9, 2017
Dubai
Hey man, you can send me all your awesome photos and I'll edit them for you, artistically they are stunning and the boxes? Mesmerizing! And I'm not even capable of identifying a single one!!!

When I post back these photos, I'll discreetly label each box with a number so that you might help me identify them.

Mar 25, 2017
Toronto Canada
Thank you Cyriac & especially Transistorized for righting my photos.
There are 4 more upside photos below, please...

In response to redbenjoe's question, the rooftop photos are NOT from a hotel but from a condo in the Queen Street West and Bathurst Street area in downtown Toronto.

Hi to you too, decks&cassettes.
Nice start to your collection; thanks for adding the photo.
If you live just an hour north of Toronto you should be aware of this amazing boombox and vintage electronics store in the 4th page of this thread:
http://www.stereo2go.com/forums/threads/when-it-rains-jvcrcm90s.690/

A TALE OF THREE JVC RC-M90'S:

First is a JVC RC-M90W.
Scored on Kijiji (like Craigslist) several years ago.
Fully working in very fine condition.
But missing right bezel above speaker.

Thought this would be the only one I'd ever have as many have come and gone (quickly) on Kijiji since, but always at top dollar.

Until last week when the second in the photos came along.
Canadian version JVC RC-M90C.
Has had the hardest life of any ghettoblaster in my collection.
Most all around worn (loved) with more cosmetic flaws discovered the closer you look (good from far but far from good)
AFTER the seller had added two new antennas, a new volume pot, 3 new belts, 5 new small blue capacitors and a new bent chrome piece over the dial glass.
Plus a replica door sticker (slightly too large, currently being sold on eBay)
Also missing right bezel above speaker.
So it is fully working and after a weekend of cranking it I finally understand one main reason this model is considered the leader of the pack (hint: the sound).
I only scored this because the seller listed it on Kijiji at 2 AM and I was only the 11th person who had viewed the ad when I woke up at 6 AM and responded.
Seller claimed 16 other people wanted it, but I showed up first.
Paid more for this than any other piece in my collection.

Yesterday on Kijiji I discovered listed:
"jvcrcm90"
No capitals, no spaces, no quotation marks, no other words in title.
One photo in ad with only description, "for parts or repair"
I raced out there and upon pick up discovered it was another Canadian version JVC RC-M90C.
Very fine cosmetic condition.
Right bezel above speaker present.
The seller (mid 50's) claimed he had bought it new in the early 80's.
He had been playing it and loving it since then (incuding the cassette) until that very day.
When a puff of smoke came out and it stopped working.
He opened it up and found a scorched area in the bottom left.
He researched replacement part costs and realized that it was a very desirable model and would cost $100's to fix (if possible).
So he immediately listed it.
A couple hours later I somehow discovered his fabulously lousily titled
listing.
Even though someone else had responded to his ad before me, and offered him double his asking price, he gave it to me because I could get there faster.
He was so distraught that he wanted his beloved but mortally wounded box out of his sight as soon as possible; it made him sad.
Screaming deal but smells burned.

Here are some images from rare bi-lingual JVC brochures and pamphlets made for the Canadian market that can't be seen elsewhere on the interweb, hopefully making this post worthwhile viewing for my Boomboxery brothers & sisters.
I realize it's tacky to talk price, but here goes:
Paid (Canadian dollars)
1. $500
2. $700
3. $200

Please let me know if you have an ORIGINAL paper copy JVC RC-M90J/W manual to sell or trade for your choice of boomboxes or vintage electronics from my collection.

For a better Toronto Kijiji JVC RC-M90 story, see this:
http://www.stereo2go.com/forums/threads/my-jvc-m90.196/#post-1020

Advice from one so lucky?
Keep obsessively searching your local online classifieds with a variety of creative keywords and be willing to travel longish distances quickly and don't haggle on price or be super picky about condition and you will eventually be rewarded with one or two or three or more.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.