Survived a wreck and lived to tell about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Yesterday evening, I was coming back from a short July 4th holiday... 200 mile drive. At about 10:30 p.m., some animal ran out into the roadway and I hit it. I never saw the animal, but I'll tell you what I saw.... basically what you would expect to see from an object immediately in front of the headlamp -- like maybe 3 inches in front, the glare that blasts back at you. It was golden color. The glimpse was less than 1/10th of a second, then came the gut wrenching bomb like sound that comes from hitting an object at 75mph. NO I wasn't speeding, that was the speed limit. The glimpse was so short that aside from that small flash, I can't picture the actual object. There was absolutely no time to react so I hit it full speed. That was probably the saving grace because had I seen it a second or two before, I would probably have swerved instinctively and at 75mph, a lot of bad things can happen from a sudden swerve at that speed. Anyway, I never saw it and didn't know exactly what it was. It wasn't until later when a passing motorist that exited the freeway asked if I needed help that I asked if he saw an animal back there. He said it was a deer. That's what I thought due to it's height.

There is damage but I'm happy to report that aside from the animal which paid the ultimate price, I survived intact with nothing but my nerves shaken. The car has front end damage and couldn't be driven without extricating all the hanging and dangling dragging parts but once removed, I was actually able to drive the remaining 60 miles home, albeit with some disturbing occassional noise from front right area.

I'm sharing this to remind everyone here that we take life for granted but so much can change at any particular moment in time that you never know. While standing along the off ramp in the pitch black, I realized that so many, perhaps hundreds of more drastic and horrible versions of the event could have happened. If I had hit the animal 0.2 seconds later, it would probably have been dead center instead of what was probably a glancing hit and I might not be here to share this. If I had 1 or 2 seconds advanced warning, I might have swerved and rolled... at 75mph. The accident could have happened somewhere else along the journey that was much further from home. The car could have easily sustained far greater damage. Oh, of all the other potentially dreadful versions.... I'm just glad and thank God that the version that occurred and most favorable for me is the one that occurred. I bought myself another day. I'm planning to make the most of it.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Glad you are ok. Sometimes simple things like taking a drive can be a life changing event for you. Really not much you could have done, but not veering off course was the best way to go.

I understand the feeling. A life flashing reality check. I blasted a deer going 80mph and went violently out of control once, and 2 other times jumped all 4 wheels off the ground striking dead deer laying in the road.

PS, still have and drive the car that hit all those deer! Crazyness.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
That is one heck of a scary situation, Norm. A lot of people don't realize the kind of damage a deer can do to a vehicle. Like you said, thank God it was basically a glancing blow. I'm thankful that you are okay. :yes: Here's hoping that you don't have the bad dreams that would most likely follow that kind of experience.

restocat

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2010
New Mexico, USA
I am glad you came out safe! I try to not drive at night for that very reason.

You may have invented a new maneuver, the "Flying Norman". Instead of breaking, which lowers the front end and causes the deer to sail into the windshield, you powered through , sending the deer sailing into the abyss.

As for .2 seconds, yes it is strange how that works. We were at a red light on a dark night about 6 months ago. The light turned green, and with no cars around, we hesitated for a second. Anyway, a large vehicle with no lights came out of nowhere and crossed in front of us at about 50-60 mph. You never know.

frontside5

Member (SA)
May 19, 2013
Canadian West Coast
Despite living in a city, close by we have highways that go through everything: farmland, dense forest, and a national park. In my riding community I know quite a few people who have hit animals - last month someone got 14 broken ribs but lived to tell the tale. It's a big enough danger that a lot of people will not ride at night and/or install deer whistles, aux lights, the works.

Glad you got through it uninjured. Cars are easy to fix.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Wow Norm, too close!! Glad you're hear to talk about it.

Reminds of my trips out west. Hitting a big roo can wreck your
day in a hurry. Those things jump high just to get around and they can often land in your windscreen if you're driving a low slung sedan. You often have to avoid one every minute or so during dry times. (The greenest grass is on the road verge)

That's why I don't drive at night out that way anymore. :-)

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Damn that is a sobering thought how fragile life can be. Glad you are ok Norm and its just your nerves that took the hit!

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
Well I'm glad you're OK Norman. Had to be some scary ****. Ain't no way a deer is gonna kill a dragon!

Never had an experience like that at high speeds. I did hit a deer at about 20mph in a neighborhood by my house when I was about 17. It rolled under the front of my truck, slid across the pavement, got up and looked me dead in the eye, then took off running into the woods. No damage to my vehicle. Pretty sure he was fine. He was a big ****er.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm glad you are okay Norm! Oh my God!
In situations like this we are so helpless! There is not much we can do..
I always believe in a guardian Angel that protects us.

Superduper

Member (SA)
In case anyone was wondering, I was driving a Prius. That car is actually built quite solid for a smallish car. Compared to my old Honda Civic, this thing is a tank. The transaxle on this guy weighs over 400#. Combined with the smallish engine, that combo probably weighs in at close to 700 lbs. That's cast iron small block territory. However all that aside, some of the thoughts of how I could've swerved and encountered other disaster is because the car is a bit skittish to me at high speeds. I much prefer to drive my diesel silverado which feels so much safer to me but 400 mile round trip, I felt like saving some gas. Next time, I'm going to think about that.

But yeah, I've reflected on all the horrible events throughout my life of near misses and contemplate how my life could be so different, when just a small adjustment is made one way or the other. In fact, if I had passed by that exact same spot 1 second earlier, the entire incident would never have happened and I would be oblivious to what may have been (which as it were, has actually been).

blu_fuz said:
.................... and 2 other times jumped all 4 wheels off the ground striking dead deer laying in the road.
How does that work Joe? Did you accessorize your avalanche with speed racer type gizmos of the Mark V?

Fatdog said:
That is one heck of a scary situation, Norm. A lot of people don't realize the kind of damage a deer can do to a vehicle. Like you said, thank God it was basically a glancing blow. I'm thankful that you are okay. :yes: Here's hoping that you don't have the bad dreams that would most likely follow that kind of experience.
I'm thinking about it all the time Bobby.

restocat said:
As for .2 seconds, yes it is strange how that works. We were at a red light on a dark night about 6 months ago. The light turned green, and with no cars around, we hesitated for a second. Anyway, a large vehicle with no lights came out of nowhere and crossed in front of us at about 50-60 mph. You never know.
I know, right? Sometimes we think we have so much control. In some ways we do. However, in many ways, we have no control over our destiny. Que sera sera.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Launching your car over the carcass of a deer and getting all 4 wheels off the ground (dukes of hazard style) is actually easier than it sounds! My 1995 Ford Contour took it like a champ. Just bent some rear lateral links.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Scary stuff indeed and most certainly a brown trouser moment if ever there was one. I'm glad you came through it OK but, dear me, your heart must have been a-thumping big time.

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
So glad your ok Norm! I've hit some deer before,I had a Laguna Type S-3 75' and was coming up from Winona,Mn one morning and one came out of the ditch and I was doing 65,no time direct frontal hit! Thank God for the sloped nose on these cars,sent it sailing 20+ feet way up in the air,it was over for him! Bent drone end nose and radiator leak but made it back to the cities,got a different nose and had it put on.
Another time I hit an elk south of Bend,Oregon on 97. I had my Camaro Z-28 and I saw him and maneuvered like crazy and I glanced his tail and rear hoof! Small grill damage and took out the passenger window,drive to Boise and got a new window. Yes animals are a definite danger! These were in the morning and early evening!😮

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Glad you're OK norm, I been there at least a dozen times, one time I smacked a deer and broke both his back legs off and he ran into the woods on the stumps of his legs, luckily a cop passed by and I told him what happened and followed him into the woods and watched him shoot that motherfucker 3 times and he hit it with all three shots and at night no less, I was pissed about my car but I loved watching that stupid motherfuker eat lead.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Yeah now I have steel deer bashers on my truck and jeep , I see at least 10 to 20 deer a day ,i get a laugh when I see these dumb ass hunters looking for deer and I can't get away from the somebiches.where I live I got snakes and buzzards in the front and deer in the back yard, plus a ****ing ground hog that just won't die, when I drive down this road I have to swerve around squirrels, deer, bird,rabbits,snakes.its like there ****ing with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.