Crown CSC 850 Aluswitches......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trommelmops

Member (SA)
Apr 20, 2017
Brandenburg, Germany
Someone of you knows that i spend many time in my little workshop,

and today i test a new switchdesign on my Crown CSC 850, cause some ask me if its possible to make

Aluswitches.....Or squared ones.....Its not easy but also good to make. The difficult depend on the design

of the implemented switchshafts. They are made from a strong plastic with a special design. And i solve this also.

Here is my first result for the CSC 850: Looks worst on the pictures, but it isnt.....The Aluswitch has flated sides

and this avoid the turning on the switchshaft. If it was round also, cause it need a little force to push it on the shaft.

On the bottom i make nothing. It looks ok like it is. Only the felt is under the Aluknob. Maybee i think about it again :hmmm:

Attachments

Trommelmops

Member (SA)
Apr 20, 2017
Brandenburg, Germany
I do what i can,

today i have try out something......I will share it with you the coming days...

But THX for all your response. Its important to know what you think. The tastes are different.....And this is good. Otherwise

would the life be too boring :-)

Constructive criticism is alwasy welcome :yes:

Trommelmops

Member (SA)
Apr 20, 2017
Brandenburg, Germany
Heres the update for the switches

Like them. Looks a little bettern than my first try i find :-) takes a little time, but the result is like it should be :thumbsup:

When i change all originals, i share it with you.....Need a special material for the inserts.....Its already on the way to my workshop :yes:

Attachments

deech

Member (SA)
Jan 11, 2012
Athens Greece
Impressive work as usual. I cant get enough of this.
Trommelmops have you tried to make the bigger knobs like the volume knob or not yet?

Trommelmops

Member (SA)
Apr 20, 2017
Brandenburg, Germany
I dont need to try :lol: the bigger ones are much easier than the switchtips.....

And the squared ones comming soon.

The only problem is the special jacket surface. The original ones have a structured surface which is impossible to reproduce.

I have talked with many fabricators and craftman but noone has an idea. The original knobs are only a very thin alushell with a big plastic insert.

They are not solid. Everbody think is fullmetal :lol: but it isnt. Is the most in plastic. Only a shell with 1.5mm wallthickness not more.

My knobs are solid! And this counts :yes: .

Only the inserts are made from POM or PVC it depends on the size and the kind of the potishaft. Every material has his own characteristics.....

Like we all :-D

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Yes, the metal knobs on the 850 are already very nice, with a brushed surface for good grip. But some 850's were given plastic knobs instead, to save money perhaps. See my photo below. Plastic on the left, metal on the right. I am sure anyone who owns the plastic knobs would want to upgrade!

DSC05300.JPG

Here are the best knobs I've ever owned......solid metal, no plastic at all!!!
:jawdrop: :jawdrop:
Yes, they put these on a boombox! Universum Hifi 1000, from Germany

WP_20131218_20_25_35_Pro.jpg

WP_20131218_20_26_50_Pro.jpg

Trommelmops

Member (SA)
Apr 20, 2017
Brandenburg, Germany
Reli said:
But some 850's were given plastic knobs instead, to save money perhaps
No some 850s are the F Version, here in Europe is mostly the L Version exist. L is the Luxury with Metalknobs and round tweetergrills in stainles steel.....

F was the version for the american market with L "Low Cost" design......I got also a Universum Blaster here :yes: awesome

One question i have: How looks the potishaft from the universum? Is it a splitted? I think yes without to know it.

To made a special tool to cut the teeth inside alu is difficult. But possible. But you need a special machine to press and cut the teeth inside the bore.

In the past i have made this. My opinion is that is to expensive. Not needed. The costs are to much. And the tool will be over the time blunt.

You can not resharp it without that the diameter and the correct dimension will stay. You grinding material from the cutter and the size will be tinyer.....

This depends that the cost will be explode. Only for factorys interresting. They have money and make 1000pcs at once :yes:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
You are making the Crown into a grail blaster with all these upgrades. Nice work!

Status
Not open for further replies.