:-( HUGE CRASH in the boom room :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
****WARNING****
Images below are not suitable for hardcore collectors, view discretion is advised!

So, I'm watching TV, laying on the couch almost passed out when I hear a horrific CRASH behind me. Scared the p**s out of me.

I sit up, turn around and to my horror a framed picture has fallen off the wall and taken a radio down with it.

The walls of this house are concrete, so I used a 3M strip to hang my Lasonic Calendar framed poster. It ripped the paint off the wall and fell, hitting my Crown 950 (sorry Joe, look away bro) and taking it off the top of a 4 high radio stack. Oh, the dangers of stacking radios :-O

IMG-20170617-WA0021.jpegIMG-20170617-WA0023.jpeg

It took a horrible fall and totally smashed the rear case. :sick: :-/ :'-( :sad:

IMG-20170617-WA0013.jpeg

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

IMG-20170617-WA0015.jpeg

Completely TOTALED! :sad: :'-( :sad: :'-( :sad:

IMG-20170617-WA0019.jpeg

SO, ANYONE GOT A REAR 950 CASE?

The worst part of it all....

I just ordered a set of custom machined aluminum knobs from member Trommelmops, I haven't even received them yet, they are in the mail right now :blink:

Tough day in Boomville :-/

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Gawd, my heart was thumping reading this so I feel for you - this is devastating. That curtain in pic 3 isn't likely to billow and snag on an aerial or anything else, is it?

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
MyOhMy said:
Gawd, my heart was thumping reading this so I feel for you - this is devastating. That curtain in pic 3 isn't likely to billow and snag on an aerial or anything else, is it?
No, that window is closed, the curtain just blocks the sun.

It's hard to look at, that's for sure

Trommelmops

Member (SA)
Apr 20, 2017
Brandenburg, Germany
Oh my god.....

Feel free to send it to me. I will fix it for you. Need a little time but i help you.

Looks in the first moment terrible but i give all my skillz to fix it.....

It is more possible than the most think in the first moment.....

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
Aaarrrghh!
I know this is after the fact, but a fellow car builder had mentioned something years ago that I often think about..
When tearing down a car and leaning hoods against walls, stacking fenders, etc.. He had a car part fall onto another part and damage it, now he organizes things "just in case"..
Meaning, if you were to bump into it/snag something on it/earthquake/etc it would only damage itself and nothing else..

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
Oh no Chris, I feel for you! I wish I had the ability to fix the shell of your 950. But I can ask the brother of a very good friend of mine, who used to work in a garage so he may have the right know how.

Of course Trommelmops's help is unvaluable and I do not want in any way to overlap or intrude. This is just to give you a second option, and also in case you wish to accelerate matters, since shipment to my place would probably be faster.

Update asap. Meanwhile be brave but also confident: in a way or another a solution will be found

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Oh no... no no no no no. That totally sucks. I'm glad it didn't take out any others with it though. Definitely changes my faith in those things.

Actually... the strip seems to have done it's job actually huh? It's the paint that failed.

Sorry to hear it Chris.

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
I had a conversation with Geoff (Nikonfoo) about where he keeps his boxes in Tokyo. He said mainly on the floor because of earthquakes mild or strong. Stacking boxes worries me too but what can you do? It's one of the problems with this hobbie......managing space!

Don't worry Chris, I have a back cover of a 945 which you can take a look at when you come over. I believe it's similar.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
I HAVE TO SAY.....

I immediately feel SOOO much better!

This is the best support group EVER! :hooray:

But it's just brutal....Blu_Fuz is going to PUKE when he see's this thread, since I bought this radio from him.

She was beautiful. She was about to get, and still will get the aluminum knob kit from Trommelmops.

Trommelmops said:
Oh my god.....

Feel free to send it to me. I will fix it for you. Need a little time but i help you.

Looks in the first moment terrible but i give all my skillz to fix it.....

It is more possible than the most think in the first moment.....
samovar said:
Oh no Chris, I feel for you! I wish I had the ability to fix the shell of your 950. But I can ask the brother of a very good friend of mine, who used to work in a garage so he may have the right know how.

Of course Trommelmops's help is unvaluable and I do not want in any way to overlap or intrude. This is just to give you a second option, and also in case you wish to accelerate matters, since shipment to my place would probably be faster.

Update asap. Meanwhile be brave but also confident: in a way or another a solution will be found
Thank you both for your generosity. I'm going to hold on to both thoughts as an option. First, I am going to hold out for a full rear case. If that can't happen, we'll go to the next step of attempting a repair. I have repaired worse (See "Body work GF 8989z").

I will say this about this box. When I got it from Joe, it was nice. Un-restored really nice. I never had the desire to do a full rebuild or anything. Just a set of Tremmelmops knobs and she would have been... :'-( perfect :sad:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: DAMN IT!

What really sucks, is I haven't revealed the new "MEGA BOOM ROOM / MAN CAVE" Italian version yet. Filming was to commence tomorrow but now we may run into production delays, over runs, crew scheduling conflicts, union issues, hospitality and catering reschedules, equipment rental returns, budgeting problems, financing back outs....it just snow balls out of control. Needless to say, I'll be up in the boss man's office getting my ass chewed all morning trying to keep this production on line! :lol: :lol: :lol: :w00t: :cool: all because of a 3m failure! Next time, I'll use 6x the recommenced amount! :annoyed:

Hisrudeness said:
I had a conversation with Geoff (Nikonfoo) about where he keeps his boxes in Tokyo. He said mainly on the floor because of earthquakes mild or strong. Stacking boxes worries me too but what can you do? It's one of the problems with this hobbie......managing space!

Don't worry Chris, I have a back cover of a 945 which you can take a look at when you come over. I believe it's similar.
I would like to see a picture of that case

im_alan_partridge

Member (SA)
Jul 21, 2010
London, England.
JVC Floyd said:
Ha the same thing happened to my TRC 920, like the English say my toast fell butter side down lol.
So a possible future solution to stacking boxes could be, strap a piece of buttered toast to the back of every box, that way if there is a fall the soft dough will cushion the fall :-D

deech

Member (SA)
Jan 11, 2012
Athens Greece
Feel so great to see that you get support from members to save this 950 Chris :-)
When i first read that thread thought the damage was so much worse.
At least it only stayed in only one unit left damaged
which will be saved at least from helpful members.

PostEnder

Member (SA)
Nov 21, 2012
Southeastern U.S.A.
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
****WARNING****
Images below are not suitable for hardcore collectors, view discretion is advised!

So, I'm watching TV, laying on the couch almost passed out when I hear a horrific CRASH behind me. Scared the p**s out of me.

I sit up, turn around and to my horror a framed picture has fallen off the wall and taken a radio down with it.

The walls of this house are concrete, so I used a 3M strip to hang my Lasonic Calendar framed poster. It ripped the paint off the wall and fell, hitting my Crown 950 (sorry Joe, look away bro) and taking it off the top of a 4 high radio stack. Oh, the dangers of stacking radios :-O

IMG-20170617-WA0021.jpeg
IMG-20170617-WA0023.jpeg

It took a horrible fall and totally smashed the rear case. :sick: :-/ :'-( :sad:

IMG-20170617-WA0013.jpeg

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

IMG-20170617-WA0015.jpeg

Completely TOTALED! :sad: :'-( :sad: :'-( :sad:

IMG-20170617-WA0019.jpeg

SO, ANYONE GOT A REAR 950 CASE?

The worst part of it all....

I just ordered a set of custom machined aluminum knobs from member Trommelmops, I haven't even received them yet, they are in the mail right now :blink:

Tough day in Boomville :-/
Ouch, Chris! (That is your name, right? I mean, that's what Samovar and Rudey have called you, I shrug.)

Moments after signing in to take a look at the scene of your mishap -- with this being the first Boomboxery posting that I clicked on today -- I actually winced and jerked backwards slightly at photo' number five. The cracked rear panel of that Crown CSC-950 does look ruined and lost. Good thing, though, that Trommelmops in Germany has offered to repair it -- for a reasonable fee, I suppose.

Permit me to here observe the "old school" length of the aerial (or "antenna") of that -- ahem -- felled cruiserweight of a Crown in picture number four.

And now wondering about the tuner needle's position: had someone been tuning anything pumpin' on, say, 97.3 MHz ("Radio Ibiza") over in Naples, Italy before you started catching up on -- shrug -- BBC World News via the telly? ;-)

Anyway, I hope your '950 Is fixed up, uprighted and returned to jammin' duty. :yes:

check tha bass

Member (SA)
May 11, 2010
shlt man that is bad, horrible feeling just looking at it, just get it fixed up and use it as a beater << i hate that word

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
Littlehampton West Sussex
Oh No!!

Sorry to see this buddy, I would be heartbroken :bang:

Rudey has a 945 rear case & it would appear that they are identical :-D :-D :-D

Here's an Ebay image followed by a full res image of my 950's rear!! (Ba Dum Tish!! I'm here all week etc etc)

I always wondered if those special hooks were safe....................... :drool:

CSC-945L.jpgAll Trumpets!.jpg

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Thanks for the support guys. The plan is to get more shelving. I already have some units, need to order more. Probably going to end up with 7-8 units, it's just a matter of getting them bought, shipped and assembled. Stacking is a temp pollution. But nothing will save me in a major earthquake.

If the 945 case is the same, I am in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.