• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Ambience

Ambience
  • Members
  • 216 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:51 PM

Seems a store across the pond was selling a new boombox and Techmoan himself took it upon himself to do a quick review. 

#2 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,779 posts
  • LocationSleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:25 PM

I posted on this late last year but the price was higher then and the brand name was different, it's much smaller than I thought it would be and the build quality leaves much to be desired but I'm still a little tempted due to the versatility of the playback media.  No mention of a Line Out which would be a distinct benefit.

"The manual has guide to explain how to use cassettes!:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I always look forward to an interesting & detailed review from Techmoan, well spotted.

#3 caution

caution
  • Members
  • 1,232 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:13 PM

But it at least sounds like it's a step up from that QFX Rerun thing. It even has a bit of chrome!

There is (or was) a place near me also called Maxtek.

Used to know a lady that worked there. G-job stuff like night vision.

14068Maxtek_Tek%20Co.jpg

#4 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:29 PM

I hadn't been aware of the QFX Rerun before you mentioned it so I had to track it down so see and I agree with you.  At least the model sold by Aldi has a certain style that's pleasing to the eye.

#5 Transistorized

Transistorized
  • Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:35 PM

Did he say if it recorded in Stereo onto tape from MP3 and Bluetooth? That would be a concern for me. For 30 pounds you can't hardly go wrong. Love it :-) Wish they would bring back a quality piece but eh...in a pinch this will do :-)

#6 AE_Stereo

AE_Stereo
  • Members
  • 591 posts
  • LocationAbu Dhabi, UAE

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:50 PM

From the video, build quality does not seem to be that bad.

Cassette door has a soft eject and closes firmly as well.

The sound is also reasonably good for its size & price! The small body and speakers make the sound feeble, but the circuitry seems to be decent.

Better than many new generation reincarnations.

#7 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:02 PM

Did Techmoan mention a headphone socket?  I'm reluctant to watch the video again so soon.  A Line Out or Headphone socket would enable connections to a larger device for better playback quality (I hope).

#8 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 2,996 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

Everything seems to work except the 'Bass Knob' :-)

#9 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,752 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:20 PM

I say if these newer model boxes are halfway decent we must buy them in order to create demand for more and different models, I mean motherfarkers aren't stupid they would make anything that makes money.

#10 Boomboy

Boomboy
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, vic , Australia

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:50 AM

I like the modern inputs it has .. looks old school .techmoan does some good vids

#11 Lasonic TRC-920

Lasonic TRC-920
  • Moderators
  • 13,119 posts
  • LocationNaples, Italy

Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:09 PM

I say if these newer model boxes are halfway decent we must buy them in order to create demand for more and different models, I mean motherfarkers aren't stupid they would make anything that makes money.

I totally agree, but not sure where we could get one

#12 caution

caution
  • Members
  • 1,232 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:34 PM

Only at Aldi apparently

https://www.retrotog...ro-boombox.html

#13 Ambience

Ambience
  • Members
  • 216 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:47 PM

I don't believe he mentions a headphone jack, but I gotta say watching it again this has me intrigued.

What if the cassette does make a decent comeback? I think larger tech companies would do themselves and us a favor by making a new retro inspired boombox, imagine a new JVC, Panazonic or Sony box? Look at what Nintendo has done catering people nostalgia. These Japanese tech companies need to look back to their roots and build upon that. I know I'd definitely buy a well made box by Sony in a heartbeat.

#14 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:29 PM

There IS a headphone socket on this box located close to the base on the right hand end as shown in this eBay BIN listing.

#15 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,547 posts
  • LocationIn the middle of nowhere!!

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:16 PM

So from looks it's only available in England

So from looks it's only available in England

#16 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:57 PM

In the notes under the video he says it's only Mono, lol

I like the big knobs and chrome dustcaps, though

#17 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:32 PM

In the notes under the video he says it's only Mono, lol

I was going to stick my neck out this morning but, oh well, I've just saved £29.99.

#18 ralrein1

ralrein1
  • Members
  • 950 posts
  • LocationShasta County in the real Northern Kalifornia

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:54 PM

Come now MyOhMy were's your sense of adventure and risk?😄😄😄

#19 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:27 PM

Come now MyOhMy were's your sense of adventure and risk?

I don't mind a risk or two and a bit of adventure at my time of life ( :blush:  :-D ) but the mono situation doesn't do it for me.  Mind you, having said that,  a standard mono box of the sort we're accustomed to does lack the connectivity of this box but how much effort would it have been to include Album Search or even Random Play with the USB and SD card facilities?  There may be a small increase on price but it may have made the choice of whether to buy or not a little more positive and to include a Stereo feature would have nailed it for me. :yes:  No Album Search/searchable media, no Random Play without a stereo function makes the decision not to buy much easier.

As has been said above, if this is the beginning of updated versions of BB's (even incorporating a CD (even incorporating a CD slot) may see a race to the top for some much improved models, I feel the market may be there and all it will take is market research and investment with a little imagination to build on the past success of The Boombox.  :thumbsup:

#20 ralrein1

ralrein1
  • Members
  • 950 posts
  • LocationShasta County in the real Northern Kalifornia

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:50 PM

Indeed,stereo imagery is important to me as well. Also 30 pounds is something like 45 or so dollars. So I can understand not wanting it for that reason too. With the features it has and its build quality(or lack there of)I'd be more comfortable with a price tag of around $25.00 dollars. Maybe if they don't sell to well Aldi will mark'em down. Who knows though?😃😃😃

#21 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:04 PM

I agree but I've also seen this very same box, sometimes with different branding, on sale in europe for twice the price so I was already thinking that what we have mentioned above led to less than expected sales resulting in Aldi bulk buying left over stock/over stock in order to offer these at a discounted price.  I may be wrong, I can't be sure on this but this is my feeling.