Sharp VZ-2000 phono problem: tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrendaAnnD

Member (SA)
Jun 1, 2017
I've seen several topics about this model box, but nothing that exactly matches my particular issue.

I've got my VZ-2000 in pretty close to good working order. Radio and tape, as well as aux in all work great. Phono behaves as it should up to a point (all buttons work as they should, turntable spins and records play. BUT...

it will play only until it reaches the absolute limit of the cartridge as it stays in one place (if I move the tone arm with the buttons, and set it back down on the record, it will continue on again until it runs out of range.)

Basically, then, everything is working great, except that the tone arm does not advance with the record.

klassicjam

Apr 2, 2017
Louisiana - USA
Hello,

The Side B tone arm on my VZ-2000 got stuck at the rotor when I was demonstrating to my co-workers that this Boombox turntable will play the other side of the record without flipping it over. The tracking kept going passed the limit (something failed at that point). I tried winding the cable with no luck, and the gear didn't work either.

Brought it to my local electronics technician to replace my turntable control board besides taking a look at why the tone arm wouldn't move. He told me after the board replacement and cycled the power, the tone arm returned back to normal (moved on its own). He didn't do anything at all.

My guess is an intermittent problem with a limit switch or solenoid. So to this day, just to be on the safe side; I'm not using Side B tone arm to play a record every again (I can flip it). Just wanted to share my personal story with you; hope it helps. Parts are getting hard to come by these days - Good Luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.