Trommelmops, to the rescue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superduper

Member (SA)
We have a new member. He is a very talented Machinist.

For about 5 years, I had been on the lookout for this nice Pioneer Centrex model. It was something that I wanted desperately when I was young but could never afford. I missed out on several either because I forgot to bid, or bid too low. When this one came around, even though it was not perfect, I bought it. The antenna tip was missing and the tuning knob wobbles. But I am very happy to have it. It's like the cadillac of mono's. Solid quality feel to it, classic looks, metal fashioned knobs and buttons, dial light, separate center detented bass/treble controls... and it looks just like the Pioneer receivers of the era. In fact, it was the perfect portable extension of their Hi-Fi home gear lineup.

IMG_0152.JPG

This unit sits on my office desk and keeps me company and smiling with good music. But whenever I look at the missing antenna tip, the smile disappears. I posted a wanted thread but I always knew it was a long shot, after all, who would have an antenna tip lying around (they usually break off completely. This is the first time I ever saw an antenna rod with no tip on a threaded end. And long shot it was because nobody could help. I was willing to pay a machine shop to make one up for me, but no shop would be interested in such a small job. I even considered trying to cut off a piece of aluminum rod, and drilling/tapping a hole in the end but this would have been done free-hand and would've been real crude, or ugly. Most likely both.

So 1 year after staring at this antenna tip, just waiting for it to get damaged further because it sticks up like that unprotected, along comes this seriously talented machinist, Trommelmops. When I saw his work, I posted in jest, please make me an antenna tip. But Trommelmops is a serious guy and my post was not taken in jest. He offered to make me an antenna tip, since to him, this was like sure I can make for you -- easy like PBJ! And not only did he make me an antenna tip, HE MADE ME SIX of them. Yep, SIX, some slightly different. He even included polishing paste too so I can keep them looking new. What a guy!

IMG_0155.JPG

I guess I really will be exchanging them like jewelry as the mood dictates. Today, I'm feeling happy so I plugged that threaded end with the smiley tip!

IMG_0154.JPG

More importantly, this guy didn't just make me a plain tip. No, he's not just any machinist. He is a very artistic one. Due to vastly different time zone differences, I couldn't always respond quickly. At one point while I was sleeping, he sent me several messages in a row and the last said something along the lines of "Jesus, where did you go, my brain is on vacation already" or something to that extent. The point was that he had ideas in his mind, and it was just bursting to be applied but he needed my input or specs. So until he put action to the words (or metal to the grinder, so to speak), he couldn't sleep.

Anyhow, check this out.... each of the tips weren't just a slug of metal drilled and tapped. They were internally tapered so that they would fit like a hat. Look at the image of the rod with the pyramid top. His tip was designed so that when pushed down all the way, it covers the cone PERFECTLY. Now that's a perfectionist.

IMG_0156.JPG IMG_0157.JPG

Yes, it's just an antenna tip. But to me, it's something hugely important and a small thing with a not easy solution.

Thanks Trommelmops. Looking forward to repaying the favor.

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
Such a small piece but full of creativity! :yes:
That is kool how the underside is recessed to fit over the other segments!
The smiley had me cracking up too..:lol:

Trommelmops

Member (SA)
Apr 20, 2017
Brandenburg, Germany
Oh dear members, i like to help, but please not to much compliments :blush:

With my possibilities i can make many different things. But its a pleasure to me that i can give the world

little things made by hand from me. I like to be very creative and i dont like to talk about and do nothing. That is not me!

When i say a word i stay behind :yes:

110%! So its my pleasure too, to see how you feel with my little work. Like it so much and makes me very happy to see that it fits :) :thumbsup:

Youre always welcome Norm :-D

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Dear me, Superduper, this post was making me quite emotional, the build up was epic:

"Will he or won't he?...................Uh-huh, ............this may work, ..........yep, he's going for it, ............will he? ...................Go for it! Go on, ........go, go ..........gooooo........I think he just may be able.........................YES!!! :thumbsup: :rock:

Trommelmops is a STAR! :clap: :hooray: :beer2:

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
Nice work Ingolf! You definitely picked the right guy to help out too. Norman is a very valuable member here and has helped a lot of people. Its nice to see he got something he needed that he couldn't find!

Trommelmops

Member (SA)
Apr 20, 2017
Brandenburg, Germany
Ouh yeah :lol:

like youre compliments :smooch: .....goes down like a good whiskey...oh it occurs to me that i drink no alcohol and smoke no cigarretes....

what a wonderfull life :-D alcohol in my environment i use only for cleaning up and sometimes i sniff on it.......but only to wake up when

im tired from too much work. And like so often sleep on my lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.