5150 deck won't stop trying to engage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
As soon as I plug the unit in, there's a noise from the deck like something is spinning or trying to engage. When I hit rewind WITHOUT a tape in, it rewinds for like 3 seconds then stops on its own....and the noise stops simultaneously.....then after about 3 seconds the noise starts up again. Just constantly going regardless of which mode I'm in.

I'm sure this is something common but I never deal with decks. Any help is appreciated.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would take the deck out and watch the tape engagement mechanism assisted by solenoids.
I don't think it is just a push and engage tape function like in many decks.
I have two 5150 and they are way hidden in the shelves with my collection.

Some kind of reset needs to be done, or changing the belts with new ones can also help.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
The 5150 always seems to need the record bar cleaned but what could be issue here is that micro switch is stuck. These decks are very easy to remove and for most part easy to work on. ;-)

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
Well look at all these kind offerings. Aren't you fellas the best!
I'm gonna take it apart this weekend and see what I can find. I'm sure it needs new belts and such. I'll clean that record bar like billy says and check the micro switch. If I can't fix her I might just take you up on that offer Skip! Thanks fellas.

Status
Not open for further replies.