C-100 decorative fins for mic cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

1986GLH

Member (SA)
May 2, 2016
WI
Picked up this awesome C-100 a while back from a member, and I'm trying to come up with a way to fabricate some of these missing fins for the mic cover on the left side in the picture.

C-100.jpg

Here's my first attempt at it. The left one in the picture is one of the originals that I pulled off to use as a template. The ones to the right I made out of some thin aluminum and I carved out the notches in them with a small gear file. The toughest part is getting them all uniform. I'm hoping to be able to superglue them in one at a time.

Fins.jpg

I'll post some more pictures when I have them installed...........if this even works. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Looks like it should work, be patient gluing them on. Nice plan.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Out of aluminum, wow, that should look nice! Superduper has chrome decals for all those fins, if you need them

Trommelmops

Member (SA)
Apr 20, 2017
Brandenburg, Germany
Hello guys,

is it not much easyer this missing cover is milled at once?

If i get a sample i could make it. Is a easy shape and nothing is complicated....

I would mill it in alu, is it possible to dissasemble the mic cover?

You could also send only the measurement, like superduper has......

Im able to make covers for you :yes:

Trommelmops

Member (SA)
Apr 20, 2017
Brandenburg, Germany
Maybee i have an additional idea,

if you have no probs with a little customizing you could also do this here:

you can drill little holes and insert threaded 2mm rods.

Then you can stack them up or you can also grinding them togehter.....

Or you give me the shape measurements and i will cut it out with cnc made from alu.....

everything is possible you need only ideas :)

Attachments

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Superduper said:
You "pulled" off a blade? I always thought that the whole assembly was 1 single plastic cast piece. This would be very surprising.
I think he meant 'broke off a blade' to use it as a template. He's already missing a few, what's one more if this doesn't work trying to duplicate it?

Superduper

Member (SA)
blu_fuz said:
You "pulled" off a blade? I always thought that the whole assembly was 1 single plastic cast piece. This would be very surprising.
I think he meant 'broke off a blade' to use it as a template. He's already missing a few, what's one more if this doesn't work trying to duplicate it?
Ok that makes more sense now. I was just looking at one of mine and for the life of me, couldn't see a way to remove a blade. I even wiggled one, hard, in an effort to see if I could dislodge one but they felt rock solid. Luckily, I didn't try that hard :lol:

1986GLH

Member (SA)
May 2, 2016
WI
I think the individual blades/fins are actually glued to the cupped plastic piece that is fastened from the inside to the face of the blaster. Don't know if you can tell from this close-up picture, but it appears to be some kind of glue residue where the fins were attached. Unless maybe this isn't the way they were originally fastened? Could this be an old repair from years ago that fell apart? Blu_fuz is correct though, I just snapped off the bottom fin to use as a template. Trommel, I do like your idea of using threaded rods to fasten them together......I might just play around with that.

Fins - closeup.JPG

Superduper

Member (SA)
Nah, I think that it is a single cast piece of plastic and the pieces probably all broke off at one time due to some accident. Then someone tried to glue them back on. Had they used acrylic solvent instead of glue, you probably couldn't break them back off again. I say this because the pieces that remain don't look uniform so that the piece you purposely broke off probably won't seat perfectly if used in a different blade location. I dunno, try it and see if you think the piece you just broke off is interchangeable in location because when you enlarge the image, it does appear that the surfaces are not perfectly uniform from location to location.

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
Superduper said:
Nah, I think that it is a single cast piece of plastic and the pieces probably all broke off at one time due to some accident. Then someone tried to glue them back on. Had they used acrylic solvent instead of glue, you probably couldn't break them back off again. I say this because the pieces that remain don't look uniform so that the piece you purposely broke off probably won't seat perfectly if used in a different blade location. I dunno, try it and see if you think the piece you just broke off is interchangeable in location because when you enlarge the image, it does appear that the surfaces are not perfectly uniform from location to location.
I'm guessing they broke off easily because the plastic is old and that's the weak spot where its thinnest.

Love the effort!

1986GLH

Member (SA)
May 2, 2016
WI
Well, here's how my first attempt at this turned out. I'm not totally satisfied with it, but I think it does look a little better than if the fins were missing. I had a very tough time with the spacing between the fins and I even made a little gap tool to use, but the fins were very difficult to hold steady until the glue started to set. It was also not very easy getting them even from side to side, they again wanted to slide around on the cup shaped plastic surface. I may end up pulling these off and giving it another try, as I learned a few tricks this time around. My goal is still to find one of these grills/covers in decent shape someday, but I guess this will do for now.

Conion grill 2.JPG

Conion grill.JPG

1986GLH

Member (SA)
May 2, 2016
WI
Thanks to all for the nice comments. The more I look at the repair, the more I'm thinking it looks fairly decent. I'll probably just leave it the way it is. If I were to pull them off and try to re-glue them, I don't have any guarantee that they'll turn out any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.