Not open for further replies.

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
Littlehampton West Sussex

Well today saw the arrival of a fair wait for one of my most wanted stereo's

It arrived packed with....................wait for it

farking WALLPAPER!!

How it got here intact is beyond my comprehension & on top of that it was filthy dirty & tobacco stained

This evening has seen us spend 4 hours just cleaning up the front, the speakers & the cabinet plus replacing the 2 aerials (Got half a dozen of the correct aerials!) as they were both snapped!!

These are so beautifully made & a joy to use - of course neither cassette deck works but they rarely do on these after a while!!

Line in & tuner sound excellent after squirting all the sliders & push buttons, not a crackle to be heard.......the tuners are really good on these & even have a weighted tuner mechanism, a real luxury on a boomer

Massive job ahead, these are complex beasts but I will fix this one - I love this model range & al going to take my time & do it right

Images showing just how nice it has come up after tonight......I am knackered & will be sleeping soon!!

Will take some daylight shots tomorrow too

But for now

Silver SR-8800L Radio Recorder - May 2017 (1).jpgSilver SR-8800L Radio Recorder - May 2017 (2).jpgSilver SR-8800L Radio Recorder - May 2017 (3).jpgSilver SR-8800L Radio Recorder - May 2017 (4).jpgSilver SR-8800L Radio Recorder - May 2017 (5).jpgSilver SR-8800L Radio Recorder - May 2017 (6).jpgSilver SR-8800L Radio Recorder - May 2017 (7).jpgSilver SR-8800L Radio Recorder - May 2017 (8).jpgSilver SR-8800L Radio Recorder - May 2017 (9).jpgSilver SR-8800L Radio Recorder - May 2017 (10).jpgSilver SR-8800L Radio Recorder - May 2017 (11).jpgSilver SR-8800L Radio Recorder - May 2017 (12).jpgSilver SR-8800L Radio Recorder - May 2017 (13).jpgSilver SR-8800L Radio Recorder - May 2017 (14).jpgSilver SR-8800L Radio Recorder - May 2017 (15).jpgSilver SR-8800L Radio Recorder - May 2017 (16).jpgSilver SR-8800L Radio Recorder - May 2017 (17).jpgSilver SR-8800L Radio Recorder - May 2017 (18).jpg

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
NIce, these are well-made. After you get the tape deck fixed you can activate those nice long VU meters by inserting a blank tape and pressing Record.

The sound quality is nice and precise, but kind of boxy due to the thin plastic walls, and the bass doesn't go very deep. I'm going to put some Dynamat and fiberglass in.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Excellent work! Love these Silvers. The red colourway was a childhood grail that one of my best friends had, I managed to score it from his family and had it fully restored. Managed to pick up the blue colourway locally for nothing a few years back too.

Top rockin all round, Nickeccles! Good to see the wallpaper didn't mar the experience!

Rock On.

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
Not a Philips by a long way!!

All solid Japanese construction as the repair thread will show in due course............

Am already thinking replacement speakers!! As usual this is where the speakers let the rest down & on top of that, these woofers are tired & plop at high volume levels!!

Speaking of volume, these things go LOUD, really loud - more like a mid priced separate system :yes:
Incredible power output & quality along with it!!

Stay tuned to see how the repair goes in a week or so.................

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
That's great Nickeccles. That extra cassette deck on the bottom just flew under the radar for me. I was looking at the pics and then noticed it. Always nice to have two of them and a very unusual setup that I've never seen.

Nice looking machine. You should post up a video with your new tripod when you get her up and going :-)

PostEnder

Member (SA)
Nov 21, 2012
Southeastern U.S.A.
That's a good-looking stereo that you have there, Mr Eccles: the Silver SR-8800L. (Yes, the model number is SR-8800L. Haven't been inspecting boomboxes for some days, so it took a while to remember that there's the happily clearly-printed rear data plate to confirm info' like the model number.) This unit has that pleasingly uncluttered look that one has noticed in other Silver portables. (Or in other versions of this same Silver model, I shrug.) It's apparently a European-market model, hence the longwave band (covering 150 kHz to 285 kHz) in lieu of a second shortwave band. Hopefully the absence of a fine-tuning control won't be a pain come DX'ing time.

Anyway, let me ask: does the automobile-style DUBBING deck of this big, boxy find actually have a putty-coloured switch -- you know, the one with the notch-stepped ends -- that controls the rewinding, fast-forwarding, stopping and ejecting functions? How electromechanically busy does that make that l'il knob? (And there I was, thinking that the pinched-cylinder knob that governs both the FADER CONTROL and the POWER function on the Sharp GF-9696 was halfway to being cool ...)

Well, got to go. But hopefully, sir, you'll succeed in getting both tape decks of that powerful package DeoxIT-ed, realigned, re-belted and re-whatever-ed for the playback and recording of good, decently inspiring music. (While the ginger-furred one sits guard.)

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
PostEnder, I don't yet know how either deck works, well I know the main deck well enough & it's easy to repair, just NOT easy to get at :bang:

The playback only deck is clearly based on a car cassette mechanism & until the restore I know little or nothing about it!!

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
I really do like the look of this little gem, well done on acquiring such a beast.

On the packing (or lack of) even an idiot should be able to look at their own packing handiwork prior to closing the parcel and ask themselves:

"Would my packing be sufficient if this parcel was dropped from head height or had a heavy stack placed on top it?"

Instead, we seem to suffer too often from either a) "Fark it, that'll do" or b) "Today, I won't give any".

Status
Not open for further replies.